Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debating 20” Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed several people who have wanted to switch their 20” wheels for smaller. Why? I was considering upgrading my Aero wheels to 20” wheels for aesthetics, but am curious as to why people are doing the opposite. Also wondering what impact this will have on range?

thanks!

The main two benefits of going from the stock 20" to aftermarket 18" are potholes and weight. If you live in a place with lots of potholes, you will likely pop a tire and/or bend a rim with 20" wheels as the 18" give you 1" more sidewall. The stock wheels are also rather heavy, roughly 29lbs each. There are many aftermarket wheels that around ~21lbs each, losing 8lbs per wheel will increase range and acceleration.

Plus, if you get black wheels it is harder to tell the difference between 18" and 20" than if you got silver/light color.

Reactions: go2realize
The main two benefits of going from the stock 20" to aftermarket 18" are potholes and weight. If you live in a place with lots of potholes, you will likely pop a tire and/or bend a rim with 20" wheels as the 18" give you 1" more sidewall. The stock wheels are also rather heavy, roughly 29lbs each. There are many aftermarket wheels that around ~21lbs each, losing 8lbs per wheel will increase range and acceleration.

Well said !!! Fear of a bent wheel or blown sidewall during a road trip is why I'm getting a set of 18"s....

18s likely are better for potholes in general. But they are no guarantee...the only wheel I have ever had crack was an 18". My 20s (and 21s for years on an S) never had a problem.

The larger wheels generally result in slightly sharper handling, too.