Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding to Delay Delivery until Battery Day

If you're due to receive your MY between now and Sep 21 - are you thinking of pushing to after 9/22?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well then after all this people will be more confused and disappointed.

Only happy people here i can see are current Tesla owners who think their cars will keep their value more if there are no immediate changes to current Model Y.

Many people and my self included want RWD , It will be at least $5k cheaper (you cant argue that) and maybe more range.

Add to it we are almost into 2021 year model so it will be worth wait couple of more weeks or month.
If you are telling me that production year its not that important then go to Tesla used M3 website and look for price difference between years (same milage).
It will help when i sell my car in 2023 when all new batteries are out.

Single cast, Panasonic 5% battery bump are more then welcome as extras by then.

Well then after all this people will be more confused and disappointed.

Only happy people here i can see are current Tesla owners who think their cars will keep their value more if there are no immediate changes to current Model Y.

Many people and my self included want RWD , It will be at least $5k cheaper (you cant argue that) and maybe more range.

Add to it we are almost into 2021 year model so it will be worth wait couple of more weeks or month.
If you are telling me that production year its not that important then go to Tesla used M3 website and look for price difference between years (same milage).
It will help when i sell my car in 2023 when all new batteries are out.

Single cast, Panasonic 5% battery bump are more then welcome as extras by then.

It all comes down to what your goal is and what makes you feel better. Waiting and hoping that you will be the smartest one to extract the maximum value out of your purchase, or buying the car and enjoying it instead.

I can give an example of my recent Rolex Submariner purchase. During COVID there was a small window when that watch was available from the authorized dealer and I got one, because it was my dream for a while. At that time I knew that the new model with updated design and new movement will be released soon. Despite that I pulled the trigger and got the watch vs opting for 9-12 months additional wait time. And guess what? Despite the new model being released earlier than expected, those 4 months I have owned the watch were absolutely amazing, as I had a huge influx of positive emotions every time I looked at them. And this feeling is priceless.

Same in my opinion goes with every expensive toy (which Tesla MY is defo one of). You rather get it sooner than later, because waiting kills the magic of owning and enjoying.

If you are financially constrained and can't afford to potentially lose $3-5k over 2-3 years in the resale value, I wouldn't recommend buying a $55k+ car. There are great affordable vehicles around that will make more sense financially.

It all comes down to what your goal is and what makes you feel better. Waiting and hoping that you will be the smartest one to extract the maximum value out of your purchase, or buying the car and enjoying it instead.

I can give an example of my recent Rolex Submariner purchase. During COVID there was a small window when that watch was available from the authorized dealer and I got one, because it was my dream for a while. At that time I knew that the new model with updated design and new movement will be released soon. Despite that I pulled the trigger and got the watch vs opting for 9-12 months additional wait time. And guess what? Despite the new model being released earlier than expected, those 4 months I have owned the watch were absolutely amazing, as I had a huge influx of positive emotions every time I looked at them. And this feeling is priceless.

Same in my opinion goes with every expensive toy (which Tesla MY is defo one of). You rather get it sooner than later, because waiting kills the magic of owning and enjoying.

If you are financially constrained and can't afford to potentially lose $3-5k over 2-3 years in the resale value, I wouldn't recommend buying a $55k+ car. There are great affordable vehicles around that will make more sense financially.

Its more then $3k my friend, MUCH more then that.
My friend got 7k less, even carvana and carmax gave him low.
I dont know if its because of first production year, 2018, but again 2020 is first year for MY too.
Point is to not lose that money because you cant wait 1 or 2 months, heck even rent-a-car you can get now for $500/month incl everything while waiting

Its more then $3k my friend, MUCH more then that.
My friend got 7k less, even carvana and carmax gave him low.
I dont know if its because of first production year, 2018, but again 2020 is first year for MY too.
Point is to not lose that money because you cant wait 1 or 2 months, heck even rent-a-car you can get now for $500/month incl everything while waiting

Well the problem of this approach is that you are evaluating future based on the past experience. There is no guarantee that MY will follow the same pattern during resale in 2 years. The only guarantee is that on Jan 01, 2021 you will get a 2021 year model. And that is another 3 months wait. Is it worth waiting and hoping that history will repeat itself in 2-3 years? Maybe, but it is a coinflip.

Reactions: Tundrok
I’m glad I ordered back in June and got to enjoy my Y throughout this summer. We did some awesome road trips with the Autopilot doing most of the driving. Saved on hotel costs by camping in the back with climate control on during 90 degree nights(while all the neighboring campers suffered in their stuffy tents). To all of those ICE drivers who waited for Battery day to order your hypothetical million mile Y, I feel for you. Summer, now over, was wasted in your boring ICE car.

Totally agree with Rolex. Takes forever to get one via waitlist if you don't have any relationship with the authorized dealer. Took almost a year for mine last year. I bought it. :)

Reactions: Sergio_S
Well the problem of this approach is that you are evaluating future based on the past experience. There is no guarantee that MY will follow the same pattern during resale in 2 years. The only guarantee is that on Jan 01, 2021 you will get a 2021 year model. And that is another 3 months wait. Is it worth waiting and hoping that history will repeat itself in 2-3 years? Maybe, but it is a coinflip.

Not trying to be mean, but the problem with his approach is all based on assumptions. Better battery? Single cast maybe? Model 3 values doesn't mean Model Y values. No one knows. Like I mentioned earlier. All hot air. Not sucking it up yet. ;)

Reactions: Sergio_S
It’s always fun to have the latest and greatest, but I got to thinking about how I use my car. Would having 54% more range be great? Of course, but 99% of my driving is 100 miles per day or less, so it’s not really a big deal to get more range. Sure, it would be great on road trips, but I just don’t take that many. Single cast? Out of sight out of mind for me.

I plan to make this car last for 10 years (or more), and unless my driving habits change dramatically, the current MY should fill the bill in spades. Delivery is 3-8 days from now.

To each their own. I got one of the last MX with ap1 and a 90D battery before they switched to ap2 and the more stable 100D battery. Yes in hindsight my timing was bad. Do I love my MX? Most certainly. So no regrets overall. Buying any Tesla is a great decision even if the timing is a little less perfect.

This time around i have decided to be patient. My plan is to wait 6 months and see what shakes out in that time. it is easy for me to do because I already have a MX. The words that convinced me to be patient a little longer from last night's presentation:

"So if you can bring things closer to the center, you reduce the polar moment of inertia and that means the car maneuvers better. It just feels better. You won’t know why, but it just feels more agile."

I'm not saying I have any idea when this will happen, but I'm ok waiting a little longer regardless. I support people who have already bought are buying next week, want to wait a year, whatever. Whenever you buy your Tesla is your decision and don't let anyone push you to do it until you are ready. Whenever that time is, it will be one of the best decisions you ever made.

Interesting way of saying “A car with 50/50 weight distribution handles better.”

Its true. Ask anyone who drives a mid engine sports car.

Ok, you asked for it. Here is the whole quote:

"It also proves what’s called the polar moment of inertia. Which is if you think of when there’s a ice skater arms out or arms in. Arms in, you rotate faster. So if you can bring things closer to the center, you reduce the polar moment of inertia and that means the car maneuvers better. It just feels better. You won’t know why, but it just feels more agile. So it’s really cool. This is really major."

Reactions: captanzuelo