Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding to Delay Delivery until Battery Day

If you're due to receive your MY between now and Sep 21 - are you thinking of pushing to after 9/22?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m so glad I pushed delivery until it’s all but confirmed no immediate changes.

I lost out on 2 weeks of driving the Y - but I gained so much in peace of mind over those past two weeks, not obsessing over if I made a mistake.

Delivery appt this weekend - we’re getting our MY!

Nobody ever said there will be immediate changes.
We are all waiting for single cast, Panasonic battery range bump,RWD,price change...
And of course model 2021.
When model 2022 comes out you want to trade your car for another one but with at least 100 more miles in range,right?
Then model year you own will come in play.
Just wait one more month and get MY 2021

We are all waiting for single cast, Panasonic battery range bump,RWD,price change...
When model 2022 comes out you want to trade your car for another one but with at least 100 more miles in range,right?

You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there is going to be a Y produced with 100 miles more range than the current Y anytime soon! Maybe end of 2022 if we're lucky!

Reactions: Tundrok and knikak

Do we have a confirmation that next month will be 2021 model?

So, no reason to wait to order. Unless you're looking for a 2023 model. The single casting front and rear is really to prepare for future integrated batteries.

wrong, dont spread false info , you just want people to order it now, well i have bad news for you,you heard what Elon said about single cast benefits even if batteries are not integrated yet. Waiting couple of weeks to get it is worth in my opinion

wrong, dont spread false info , you just want people to order it now, well i have bad news for you,you heard what Elon said about single cast benefits even if batteries are not integrated yet. Waiting couple of weeks to get it is worth in my opinion
Is it confirmed that single cast for the rear isn't in the production already? I thought the casting machine has been running for like a month?

I heard exactly what he said about integrating next-gen batteries (3 years away) into the single front and rear castings:

10% mass reduction
14% range increase opportunity
270 fewer parts

He said the 10% mass reduction was the combined single castings with new battery architecture, no mention of how the castings ALONE would impact range, but it definitely is fewer parts.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 4.17.39 PM.png

Where did you get the couple of weeks timeline from?

Yeah, there's no evidence single casting(s) are making it to the assembly line yet. We'll find out when somebody confirms post delivery unless Tesla makes an official statement. I assume it would require assembly line changes and employee training. Even if they were in new cars, weight and range specs on Tesla.com haven't changed.

Last edited:
Is it confirmed that single cast for the rear isn't in the production already? I thought the casting machine has been running for like a month?

The press at Fremont is the first time they could test the casting at full design size. Who knows where they are at in the process. Musk said Berlin would be a whole new way to manufacture. What has he said specifically about Fremont and the new casting?

If the casting must include the new battery pack there is very little chance of that the casting will be used in the Y any time soon. You don't ramp production of a new car while simultaneously making a huge change in the first year.

You don't order a new computer when there is a presser scheduled and rumors of a new, much faster processor. You push a few weeks if your situation allows - however, if your computer died, you have to replace it.

I saw this as a similar situation. Wise move is to push a couple weeks - which is what my wife and I did. Held of on ordering close to 3 weeks. Delivery day happened to be today, Battery Day, we pushed back one more day. Will pick up tomorrow. I thought the chances of something quickly changing was low.. but how much would I regret if something big was coming a few weeks or even few months out.

That said. What did we learn.

1. New Battery Tech coming 1-5 years out.
2. New chassis design making battery pack a structural component - prolly 1-5 years out.
3. Front and rear single castings are coming. No ETA. We know they are currently testing the casting machine - we don't know if there are problems. We don't know if the single cast unit will perform adequately in it's current form. We don't know how much testing will need to happen before they enter production. We can speculate about some structural rigidity.. but really, it may just help on production. In fact, it's entirely possible the single cast may be worse for consumers in that, like the frames of old, if it gets bent or broken in moderate crash, it may be very, very expensive to repair.

So. While I think it was wise to push purchase if your situation allowed; I don't see anything real info that would justify waiting further. There will be constant and regular incremental advances for many years (we hope).

My 2c.

You don't order a new computer when there is a presser scheduled and rumors of a new, much faster processor. You push a few weeks if your situation allows - however, if your computer died, you have to replace it.

I saw this as a similar situation. Wise move is to push a couple weeks - which is what my wife and I did. Held of on ordering close to 3 weeks. Delivery day happened to be today, Battery Day, we pushed back one more day. Will pick up tomorrow. I thought the chances of something quickly changing was low.. but how much would I regret if something big was coming a few weeks or even few months out.

That said. What did we learn.

1. New Battery Tech coming 1-5 years out.
2. New chassis design making battery pack a structural component - prolly 1-5 years out.
3. Front and rear single castings are coming. No ETA. We know they are currently testing the casting machine - we don't know if there are problems. We don't know if the single cast unit will perform adequately in it's current form. We don't know how much testing will need to happen before they enter production. We can speculate about some structural rigidity.. but really, it may just help on production. In fact, it's entirely possible the single cast may be worse for consumers in that, like the frames of old, if it gets bent or broken in moderate crash, it may be very, very expensive to repair.

So. While I think it was wise to push purchase if your situation allowed; I don't see anything real info that would justify waiting further. There will be constant and regular incremental advances for many years (we hope).

My 2c.

Smartest thing I read on this thread.