Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two Model S "Beta Prototype" Signatures in Pearl White and Signature Red both finished assembly at the Fremont factory on Thursday, 3/15/2012. This is according to George Blankenship himself during a videotaped interview I conducted in the Santana Row store on Friday afternoon.

They are #43 (Pearl White) and #44 (Sig Red). Their VINs are:

5YJSB1A23C1B00043
5YJSB1A25C1B00044

DSC00471.JPG

DSC00469.JPG

Later that night, I asked the Model S (and X) Product Manager how many Betas they plan to build before they start producing Release Candidates. He said he knows but can't release that info to us at this time.

Last edited:
View attachment 6603

5YJSA1DP8CFF00001

Founders' Series #1 Performance version, 85 kWh battery

P in digit 8 for Performance?
F in digit 11 for Fremont?

Someone mentioned this before but is the F maybe for 'Founders Series'? Fremont makes sense too. The European versions will still be built in Fremont I believe so they probably don't need a designation for that but maybe they have plans to build a European factory many years down the road.

Ah, didn't see there was a F in 11th and 12th spot. Maybe it's both Fremont then Founders series.

looks like the last 5 digits are used to denote the car number in the run. So that means for normal production cars it'll top out at 99,999? If so, I suppose they'll just change whatever character precedes the 5 digits to move onto a new series?

Someone mentioned this before but is the F maybe for 'Founders Series'? Fremont makes sense too. The European versions will still be built in Fremont I believe so they probably don't need a designation for that but maybe they have plans to build a European factory many years down the road.

Ah, didn't see there was a F in 11th and 12th spot. Maybe it's both Fremont then Founders series.
Refer to the first post of the thread. Digit 8 is the motor type, Digit 11 is the plant location, Digits 12-17 are the serial number. So like the Roadster, the F in digit 12 is for Founders' Series. (The Betas have a B in that position.)
looks like the last 5 digits are used to denote the car number in the run. So that means for normal production cars it'll top out at 99,999? If so, I suppose they'll just change whatever character precedes the 5 digits to move onto a new series?
If it's like the Roadster, the regular production run cars (starting with the Signature cars) will have a 0 in that location (until they reach 100K units, I guess).

Something like:

5YJ - Tesla manufacturer string for USA made cars
5YJSA - Model S Sedan=SA
5YJSA1 - Region code 1=North America
5YJSA1D - Restraint system type D (lots of seat-belts & air-bags)
5YJSA1DP - P=Performance Motor type
5YJSA1DP? - Check digit (checksum calculated from all other digits)
5YJSA1DP?C - C=2012
5YJSA1DP?CF - Factory F=Fremont

Last edited:
Digit 10 gives the model year (C=2012), so until Tesla is producing 100,000 Model Ss per year, running out of numbers isn't an issue.

Interesting. I assume it's always a single digit, so do they roll them? i.e. in 36 years we'll be back to C?
Maybe if the Russians take over. Otherwise it'll be in 26 years. :wink:
Thirty-six would make sense (26 letters plus ten numbers) but I, O, and Q are not allowed in VINs (to avoid confusion with 1 and 0) and the model year further omits U, Z, and 0. So the model year digit recycles every 30 years.

Here, just read the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number#Model_year_encoding

Anyone get VIN's from the test cars this weekend? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the other threads...

Hmm... good question. I don't think any of us thought about it - I haven't seen any pics. Also, given the way the drives were setup, it was not feasible to stop and take a pic that close to the car.

Maybe the folks going to LA might remember to do this if they can.