Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just posted this in "Random Model S Sightings", but took this pictures especially for those interested in this thread. I don't think there's anything new to decode, but figured it would be interesting to see another Founders VIN:

IMG_0338.JPG

BTW, Roadster Founders 22 (I think) was in the shop, and it looked like it was Sig Red (I realize it had a different name, but was pretty close). Anyway, I was told it was two different owners, but funny for the Florida store to have two Founders vehicles in it at the same time!

Reopening the discussion:

Character 5: B in the betas. A in all others we've seen.
Theory: body style version indicator but within another category. I'm guessing that character might be character 12. I don't know the VIN of the prototype, but I suspect it would have an A for character 5. So you'd have:
- ....A.......B..... Alpha (Pre-release 1.0)
- ....B.......B..... Beta (Pre-release 2.0)
- ....A.......R..... RC (Release candidate 1.0)
- ....A.......F..... Founder (Release 1.0)
- ....A.......S..... SSL and S (Release 1.0)
- ....A.......?..... General production (Release 1.0)

Character 7: A in Beta, RC; D in Founder and Signature. Still needs a theory.

The VIN in prose for Cottonwood assuming the above theory:
Tesla (5YJ) manufactured Model S (S), version 1.0 (A), for the USA market (1), _____ (D), in the Performance edition (P), with check character 1, in production year 2012 (C), at Fremont (F), as part of the Signature series (S), as 37th in the series (00037).

Thoughts on my theory for character 5? Any updated theories on character 7?

Okay, so let me take it one step further. I am P188, 85KW, but getting the kiddo rumble seats in the back.

So, my VIN will be:

5YJSA1D_N_CF_ _ _ _ _

With the first blank probably being the standard character, or maybe different as the third row has five point restraints.

Yes / No / Maybe ???