Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5YJ: USA Tesla car
SA: 5 Door Hatchback LHD RWD
1: Manual Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Front Airbags, Front/Rear Side Airbags, Knee Airbags
D: 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
N: Base A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh) [Not a performance model]
3: {check-digit}
C: 2012
F: Factory=Fremont, CA (FRE)
P: Production Vehicle (not Alpha, not Beta, not Release Candidate, not Signature, not Founders')
01221: 1221th production vehicle of this type.

Some VINs above 1200 seem to have gone to cars used in the GetAmped tour.
But, I am not sure why some were R ("Release Candidate") and some were P ("Production").
It would have made more sense to me if all those ##12XX cars were "R" not "P", but it is what it is.

To me, that VIN looks like something that should go to a customer delivery, but we have seen before they they seemed to pre-allocate some production VINs to demo cars.
Was it a demo car somewhere?
Perhaps Tesla could have some "slightly used" factory demo cars available after a while...

Some VINs above 1200 seem to have gone to cars used in the GetAmped tour.
But, I am not sure why some were R ("Release Candidate") and some were P ("Production").
It would have made more sense to me if all those ##12XX cars were "R" not "P", but it is what it is.

To me, that VIN looks like something that should go to a customer delivery, but we have seen before they they seemed to pre-allocate some production VINs to demo cars.
Was it a demo car somewhere?

I saw this car at the Tesla Factory in Fremont. I wonder if this vehicle could be a production car that was sold to an employee.

Do you think that there have been at least 21 production vehicles manufactured? After the U.S. Signatures are built, the production VINs will start after the last production vehicles that have been built to date?

...Do you think that there have been at least 21 production vehicles manufactured? After the U.S. Signatures are built, the production VINs will start after the last production vehicles that have been built to date?

Your guess is as good as mine... Although your "theory" sounds plausible.

What's with the VINs?

Reading through the various threads, it was my understanding that VINs are assigned basically in order of production. The highest VINs that I recall reading about is in the 800s. However, today I saw a test drive vehicle at one of the Tesla stores that had a VIN in the low 1200s. This test drive vehicle would have been produced at least a month ago presumably. So what's the story with this?

If anyone wants to see a pic of the VIN please say so and I'll post it.

Thanks!

Reading through the various threads, it was my understanding that VINs are assigned basically in order of production. The highest VINs that I recall reading about is in the 800s. However, today I saw a test drive vehicle at one of the Tesla stores that had a VIN in the low 1200s. This test drive vehicle would have been produced at least a month ago presumably. So what's the story with this?

If anyone wants to see a pic of the VIN please say so and I'll post it.

Thanks!

As has been posted here a few times, 1200-1299 are marketing cars.

Knowing that this is no help at all, I was at the Factory yesterday and they were doing final inspection on cars in the VIN range of 1030 or so. I am guessing that sublimaze1's VIN has not been delivered, but have no idea how that fits into the larger picture, nor did I notice if the 1030 paperwork I saw was in the S or P category, or if that is even relevant.

I was at the Menlo Park store yesterday and saw the following VINs (cars).

For those that think there will be an 'R' series for Roadster friends and family, please remember that the R series is for 'Release Candidate Vehicles'.

mini-121115_038 VIN R00108.jpg

mini-121115_043 VIN 1212.jpg

mini-121115_041 VIN 1214.jpg

There has been some confusion regarding the 12xx-13xx sequence numbers. I now believe that those numbers have nothing to do with marketing, per se. I think that any car past RC that is non-signature has to be > 1200, whether they are marketing or not. It's just that up until recently, the only cars to enter production that were non-sigs *had* to be marketing cars.

Last edited: