Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The explanation for digit 7 has some issues... at some point (from the start?) all of the cars started to have the capability to add DC/FastCharge. My S60 shows an A as 7th digit - and unsurprisingly that did not magically change once I added DC/FastCharge as after-delivery option...

The VIN will only show what the car was ordered with at the time of delivery. If a 40 upgrades to 60 or if someone adds Supercharger or installs a Twin Charger, their VIN won't change - but you will always know what was shipped with the car originally.

In reply to this post: Belgium and the Netherlands (Dutch) - Page 575

Apologies for the English intrusion, but has anyone found anything from Tesla that puts official language on the 6th digit "2"? For the U.S. vehicles, we have official text for the "1". But I haven't seen any other values documented.

Thanks.
I think you mean digit 6?

1 = US Model
2 = EU Model

Wouldn't that make sense?

Ah, I see. The PDF indeed says "Restraint Systems (PC)" for Digit 6 (like the Start post).
I don't know if there is a difference in seatbelts or airbags between the US en EU models, but there probably is, otherwise the digit wouldn't be different.
I was referring to the table portion:
Restraint Systems (PC) and GVWR (MPV)Digit 6
Manual Type 2 USA seat belts, dual front airbags, front/rear side airbags, knee airbags1

Presumably the second row of that table has a description for what "2" means, but in a later or different version of the document.

Hello

In the German Forum one Membere hast got a changed VIN:

5YJSA2H11EFPxxxxx

This was the VIN in 2013:
5YJSA2CP4DFPxxxxx.
5YJ = Tesla
S = Model S
A = 5 Türen mit Schrägheck, Linkslenker, Hinterradantrag
2 = Sicherheitsgurte, Airbags Front, seitlich vorne+hinten, Knie
C = Einzellader mit Schnelladeoption
P = Performance-Modell
4 = Prüfziffer
D = Modelljahr 2013
F = Fremont
P = Production Vehicle
xxxxx = Sequenznummer der Produktion

E instead of D ist clear, but what means the H11 instead of CP4

Greetings and sorry for my bad englisch.

Karsten

I was assigned a 2014 vin number yesterday for a February delivery. 5YJSA1H10EFP29469.

The specs are: Brown Metallic, Pano, 21" Grey Turbine, Tan Performance Seats with Obeche Wood Gloss, Supercharger Enabled, Tech Package, Air Suspension, Parking Sensors, For Lamps, Sound, Extended Leather, Alcantara Headliner, Interior Lighting, Shelf.

I would have added this to the bottom of my post -- but don't know how. Hope this helps.