Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone looked into the make-up of the production sequence number?

There is some blink speculation over here:
HK: Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery - Page 17
as it seems the first two digits of the sequence number maybe a production week (or a complete coincidence).

Scroll up a few posts to find this tagline:

Silver P85 | Pano | 19" Cyclones | Black Perf Leather | Obeche Gloss | Air | Tech | Park | Fog | Led | HPWC | Photosync 45/75 Tint | Vin 29,xxx | Delivered 2/7/14

Delivery February 2014 with a VIN of 29XXX. Look at some 2013 deliveries to find the same pattern, VIN sequence number digit 1 and 2 are not linked to week numbers.

Scroll up a few posts to find this tagline:

Delivery February 2014 with a VIN of 29XXX. Look at some 2013 deliveries to find the same pattern, VIN sequence number digit 1 and 2 are not linked to week numbers.

Yes, for 2012 and 2013 I don't see any pattern, but things were a lot less predictable for Tesla back then. Just seems for recent 2014 RHD perhaps they issue VINs in weekly batches.

Maybe just a coincidence that digits 1 and 2 of the production sequence match the expected weekly spread of deliveries/production for HK that we know of. We know spread is early July to late august (sig to me, 8 weeks) and vins are 37XXX to 44XXX (8 numbers).

Put it another way, say VINs were just handed out in sequence, and say (for simplicity) Tesla were producing 1,000 cars a week, then we would expect the first two digits of the production sequence to match the expected production week. Just strange that the HK numbers seem to match the know timeframe so closely, but Tesla are not producing 1,000 cars a week. Either Tesla is producing cars faster, or there are gaps in the production sequence, or I'm gonna get my car a lot later than expected.

Last edited:
Yes, for 2012 and 2013 I don't see any pattern, but things were a lot less predictable for Tesla back then. Just seems for recent 2014 RHD perhaps they issue VINs in weekly batches.

Maybe just a coincidence that digits 1 and 2 of the production sequence match the expected weekly spread of deliveries/production for HK that we know of. We know spread is early July to late august (sig to me, 8 weeks) and vins are 37XXX to 44XXX (8 numbers).

Put it another way, say VINs were just handed out in sequence, and say (for simplicity) Tesla were producing 1,000 cars a week, then we would expect the first two digits of the production sequence to match the expected production week. Just strange that the HK numbers seem to match the know timeframe so closely, but Tesla are not producing 1,000 cars a week. Either Tesla is producing cars faster, or there are gaps in the production sequence, or I'm gonna get my car a lot later than expected.

I think you will get your car between the middle and end of July, Mark, while I expect mine shortly after yours, whenever that be.

My digit 6 is "3", digit 7 is "H" and digit 8 is "1". There is no description for these in the first post. Have I missed something?
I haven't had a chance to re-dig but there are at least two links to PDFs that describe the official format. I believe the latter one speaks to your VIN. If/when I find them (or if someone else does), I think it would be good to add those links to the 2nd (wiki) post of this thread.

Hi,

My car is in production queue and VIN also just changed on the dashboard portal:

5YJSA3H13EFP58XXX < Previous
5YJSA6H11EFP58XXX < ActualThe 3 becoming one seems to be the check digit according ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG9130.pdf.
But what about 3 becoming 6?In parallel, I know from my DS that my car will be equipped for sure by the new hardware related to autopilot. Maybe is it related?
Any idea?
Thanks,

Mat

The sixth digit is for the safety systems in the car, so perhaps a '6' means it has the collision avoidance features (basically all the auto pilot hardware).

This has been discussed in other threads, recent deliveries with the new sensors don't have the '6'. Seems to be happening to people with EU and Australian orders. Probably some difference for those markets.

Tesla also has not updated their VIN decoding filing with the NHSTA which is required if they use that value for cars delivered in the US.