Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Degradation stabilized. I’m happy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it’s been 45,000 KM’s / 28,000 miles, of fun so far. !

My almost one year old M3 AWD Non Performance seems to be sitting at 96.6 % state of charge. That’s 3.4% degradation. I’m very happy with that.

Keep in mind, that’s state of charge. I have no clue what my actual range is, because I haven’t gone from 100% down to 5% or 10% ( non stop ) to confirm what the actual range is. I’ll assume it’s pretty much the same though, because I’ve done enough trips at close to the above percentages, and mostly straight through, and it looks to be on track.

A few trips were through low speed roads where I could tell my range would have been much better.
Gotta love summer and lithium batteries. :)

So it’s not quite a year, but my mileage is more than most in a year, so that’s telling.
I keep the battery at 90% pretty much always.
Done over half a dozen charges to 100% now for trips. Lowest was about 9% once. I may have gone to 6% once, can’t recall.
I’m in Canada, so lots of exposure to both very cold and very hot temps now. Car has always been kept outside. No warm or cold garage.

So I’ve degraded about 17 KM’s / 10.5 Miles, and it seems to be very stable at this range. It used to move up and down quite a bit, but in the last while, it seems to be sticking at this range firmly.

Just thought others might like to know for what they might expect, or for comparison.

Cheers.

I only have 16 000km on my model 3 AWD non performance and I get 484km range on a 100% charge, 436km on a 90% and 393km on an 80%, so my battery seems to have degraded about 1 km per 1000km driven, Service says it will stabilize and that's it's because of my driving habits, I do quick accelerations often! It's too fun, one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place.

I only have 16 000km on my model 3 AWD non performance and I get 484km range on a 100% charge, 436km on a 90% and 393km on an 80%, so my battery seems to have degraded about 1 km per 1000km driven, Service says it will stabilize and that's it's because of my driving habits, I do quick accelerations often! It's too fun, one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place.
They actually said that, like that?

Because that is what I've suspected from a small sampling of people giving more detail, both their lifetime Wh/distance (mi or km) and their 100% SOC displayed range (or extrapolated to 100% SOC). That somewhere roughly around 10,000 mi that range number stops assuming the factory number and starts basing it on some sort of very longterm running average of you're car's actual Wh/mi .

But I haven't seen anyone drag together a huge collection of data to get a sense of how much correlation there is, to support that
hypothesis. Which might be a little difficult because not everyone used their bottom Trip odometer like that, to set it very early on and leave it running for what is effectively a lifetime of the vehicle reading. A few have even lost that Trip data due to work that had to get done, and the Trip reading resetting to zero.

Last edited:
I'm only a little over 3,000 miles in. That big decline from end of May until mid-June had me worried, but it's come back up a lot.
battery.JPG

I'm only a little over 3,000 miles in. That big decline from end of May until mid-June had me worried, but it's come back up a lot.
View attachment 430945
That's very weird. I saw nothing like that, ever. Mine was solid 309-310 for roughly 12,000 miles and then slowly stepped down to 298-299 where it is the last I looked (I rarely use Distance display). Maybe now that my Lifetime has dropped I should check again.

<edit> That said I never really did the extrapolated thing. Only noted it the roughly once/month that I took it to 100% SOC. So it is possible what you're seeing is just an artifact of unbalanced modules or something else that's only visible when the SOC is lower.

Last edited:
That's very weird. I saw nothing like that, ever. Mine was solid 309-310 for roughly 12,000 miles and then slowly stepped down to 298-299 where it is the last I looked (I rarely use Distance display). Maybe now that my Lifetime has dropped I should check again.

<edit> That said I never really did the extrapolated thing. Only noted it the roughly once/month that I took it to 100% SOC. So it is possible what you're seeing is just an artifact of unbalanced modules or something else that's only visible when the SOC is lower.

Yeah, I have no idea if there's anything I should be reading into my data. The big dip happened after some day where it was 100 degrees and I left the car with someone to chrome delete the window trim and he washed it. I was worried that something happened then that messed up my battery, but wanted to see how things went over time. I had also been charging to 90% since the beginning, but I recently started just charging to 65% since I only use around 25% per day and after doing that for a few days is when those numbers went back up. The battery warranty seems pretty good, so I'm not going to worry about it. I have the discontinued mid-range, so maybe if it dies early down the road they'll upgrade me to a LR. :)

Reactions: SammichLover
As per the details in my post, it’s based on SOC, and actual range I’ve seen thus far.
Seems to be sitting at 3.4%.

Myself like many were paranoid with the number of remaining range shown next to the battery icon. Especially, it is not equal or more than the factory rated range.

I then came to acceptance that it's not a constant number. Nor is it a number calculated solely based on battery health condition. External factors like driving style, environmental factors all come to play. So now I just tried to ignore that and know that I do not even get to drive as far of range as even that number. It's just a number. A few people have suggested me to switch over to % instead. :)

Reactions: M109Rider
They actually said that, like that?

Because that is what I've suspected from a small sampling of people giving more detail, both their lifetime Wh/distance (mi or km) and their 100% SOC displayed range (or extrapolated to 100% SOC). That somewhere roughly around 10,000 mi that range number stops assuming the factory number and starts basing it on some sort of very longterm running average of you're car's actual Wh/mi .

But I haven't seen anyone drag together a huge collection of data to get a sense of how much correlation there is, to support that
hypothesis. Which might be a little difficult because not everyone used their bottom Trip odometer like that, to set it very early on and leave it running for what is effectively a lifetime of the vehicle reading. A few have even lost that Trip data due to work that had to get done, and the Trip reading resetting to zero.

Yes they actually said that...

What you shared is very interesting and would be the most logical (in my head). Hope you're right and that I can continue accelerating hard without compromising my battery health.

Thanks for sharing!

As per the details in my post, it’s based on SOC, and actual range I’ve seen thus far.
Seems to be sitting at 3.4%.
Okay, maybe I haven't had enough coffee, but you said you've charged to 100% SOC, over half a dozen times, but now your car is sitting at 96.6%? It won't charge to 100% anymore?

There's a recent thread for vehicles produced last year, between March and August or something like that, where some were missing a wire in the battery pack, so they didn't charge completely. Only a few percent off full. I'm not sure your description fits that recall, since it sounds like you had 100%, but who knows. Definitely contact your SC and see if maybe your battery pack wasn't 100%.

Okay, maybe I haven't had enough coffee, but you said you've charged to 100% SOC, over half a dozen times, but now your car is sitting at 96.6%? It won't charge to 100% anymore?

There's a recent thread for vehicles produced last year, between March and August or something like that, where some were missing a wire in the battery pack, so they didn't charge completely. Only a few percent off full. I'm not sure your description fits that recall, since it sounds like you had 100%, but who knows. Definitely contact your SC and see if maybe your battery pack wasn't 100%.

I was referring to degradation. How many km’s It’s degraded etc.

When the car charges to 100% SOC, I am getting 96.6% of the range.

Reactions: SammichLover