Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay auto locking of charging door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my MS set to lock when I walk away from the vehicle. Each night in my garage, when I plug my in MS, I walk behind it to get the charging cord hanging on the wall. Before I can plug it in the car locks. Even if I open the charge door when I walk by, the car shuts the door and locks before I can plug it in. I have learned that if I leave the driver door open it will not lock so I have time to get the car plugged in. This seems like an extra step to override an otherwise useful feature. I suggest that Tesla change the locking procedure so that the charging door stays unlocked for a few minutes after the rest of the car locks. Access to the charging door does not materially change the safety of the car being locked. I am sure that the charging door lock is a separate element that could be delayed through programming. It is these small things that make the MS seem even smarter.

This is interesting to me. I typically don't plug in my car till later at night, no good reason why. But I never take my keys into the garage. I just grab the cord, hit the button, and the charging door opens. Car stays locked.

Now, I have to unlock the car to unplug - but plugging it in has never been an issue with the car locked.

Because the car is done charging, I'm working in the garage and keep having to walk around the charge cord that no longer needs to be sticking out of the car. My key is inside the house (because if it's not kept decent distance away from the car its battery is going to drain too fast) and now I have to go in the house to get the key, because, you know, Tesla changed the car locking policy so that it will no longer stay unlocked, anywhere. Not even in my garage, which is another thing that should be geo-fenced. Keep the car unlocked when I unlock it in my garage thank you very much.

The question is "why not?". What harm can possibly come from geo-fencing to allow handle removal at home even when the car is locked...?

Seems easy enough, but I must have read about 100 similar enable/disable/adjust settings for other different simple things just here on TMC. Way too confusing as a whole for the many who don't read the manual.

You wouldn't have to read the manual, or do anything weird to take advantage of a geo-fenced feature of allowing handle pull-outs, if implemented.

Tesla car learns where "home" over a short period of time... Just try "navigate home" if you haven't already, and it will show you the way. At no time did I define where home was for my car.

Tesla already uses a geo-fence for the integrated home link garage door opener. And geo-fenced air suspension "raise" locations. It's a new idea to use geo location info for certain functions.

There doesn't need to be any setting or option or UI thing... the car just needs to allow charge handle pull outs while at home.

I've hi-jacked this thread too much already about pull outs, so I'll stop that.

Thread is about "not closing the charge door too soon" when I'm in the garage getting ready to charge. But this could be geo-fenced too, similar argument.

Or, if you're lucky enough to have first generation charge port door like mine.... it never auto-closes!

Last edited:
@scottm I am not sure about things being simple and, other than you, how many people would want the pull out geofenced. I can see the person who has a car port complaining that the kids disconnected his charger. Also, not sure if the geofencing is that accurate. For homelink and sas it doesn’t make much difference on accuracy. Telling the difference between being in your garage or parked in front of it would be different.

They need to sort out the locking options, but i’m not sure adding complexity is the right answer.