Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in model X launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you read the owners manual someone posted online, at some point there will be a "cargo mode" button on the main screen that will automatically fold down the rear seats and move the middle seats fully forward. It will not operate if any of the middle or rear seats are occupied.

You will still need to lift the rear seats by hand, but as was pointed out up thread, whoever is planning to sit in the rear seats can lift them prior to sitting down. For rear visibility I may leave my third row down most of the time.

Not yet implemented, but it does seem to imply that electric folding is coming.

IMG_1070.jpg

Since I'm calling Tesla out for their comms failures, I'm happy to report a success: just got my invite for the Model X City Tour test drive. Glad to finally have clarity on when we can see and drive this beast.

Adding: Now that I've read the rest of the posts on the topic....um...yeah. You're just looking to make stuff up.

Yes that's it. I'm making stuff up, and Tesla can do no wrong :rolleyes:

The car was clearly ready in September, the seats were settled and fully integrated, and the doors had been through exhaustive environmental testing, and...

Maybe I am being overly negative, but 18 months ago I too had a half finished car delivered to a service center network ill equipped to deal with it... So yes I still feel negative about it, but this situation was obviously on the horizon years ago. Meanwhile the likes of yourself stuck your fingers in your ears and accused us of being "shorts", when really we are offering constructive criticism, and real world feedback.

It's obvious this has fallen on deaf ears throughout Tesla management (well those that haven't jumped ship the most important being Mr Blankenship IMO). The "Oh it's communications issues" doesn't wash any more, they need to step up their game and quickly, before this turns into an all mighty poo-storm.

May I suggest you don't blame me, blame the man at the top making over ambitious promises.

If the info that they switched suppliers in May 2015 (and thus moved from hydraulic to electric) is true, I highly doubt the car was ready in September. It can be spun a bunch of ways, but my gut is that they wanted to first open the design center when they said they would and then deliver cars when they said they would, so both were done at the last minute. Couple the seat thing with the low delivery numbers, and I think it's clear the X could've used another quarter of baking.

It would've been annoying, but if Tesla had someone like George B still in their ranks, they could've easily communicated to customers the reason for the delay and dissipated a lot of angst. People tend to be far more understanding when they're properly-informed.

I would go even back further and say that the fancy eye-candy doors and sculpture of art seats are a poor decision to being with, that in turn has led to costly delays and issues. So these kind of supplier issues aren't really shocking when you look at the complexity of these things. X would have been just as successful - some would say even more - without those two design choices.

Shooting yourselves on the foot !

Owners are posting how much they love the unique features of X. The time that X development took might be a great investment by Tesla in my opinion. These features might make sure Tesla can keep on increasing its sales. Model S is 3 years old now. X might serve as the source of growth till S is refreshed with new demand levers. Great job Tesla!

I would go even back further and say that the fancy eye-candy doors and sculpture of art seats are a poor decision to being with, that in turn has led to costly delays and issues. So these kind of supplier issues aren't really shocking when you look at the complexity of these things. X would have been just as successful - some would say even more - without those two design choices.

Shooting yourselves on the foot !

You're making stuff up too. You have less than zero idea how successful or unsuccessful such a vehicle would have been compared to the vehicle they fielded. And we'll never know because that can't ever tested.

While I do agree that we would have seen the X months (a year even) earlier I agree with Krugerrand that it is pure speculation as which would sell better.

My biggest issue with the design features that *may* have caused the delay is that it *may* (yep, speculation) not have been the best decision if one feels that ultimately the company's success and accomplishing the mission statement is pinned on getting to model3. The opportunity cost in engineering talent and cash utilization to perfect the Xs unique features will be the subject of many business school discussions in the future.

The X decisions are way above my 'pay grade'.......All speculation and as Krugerrand indicated before...no one can prove either way if the Xs delays/unique features will help or hurt the company and delay/accelerate the accomplishment of the mission statement.

the design features that *may* have caused the delay is that it *may* (yep, speculation) not have been the best decision if one feels that ultimately the company's success and accomplishing the mission statement is pinned on getting to model3. The opportunity cost in engineering talent and cash utilization to perfect the Xs unique features will be the subject of many business school discussions in the future.

The X decisions are way above my 'pay grade'.......All speculation and as Krugerrand indicated before...no one can prove either way if the Xs delays/unique features will help or hurt the company and delay/accelerate the accomplishment of the mission statement.

Many people familiar with me here at TMC know that I am one of the shareholders who has voiced alarm and extreme irritation at the design choices behind Model X. As an engineer, I found it alarming that Model X was very difficult to actually build, because part of engineering a mass-produced product is making it easier to mass produce. I remember Elon even saying some time ago that building 1 copy of something was easy, but building thousands and tens of thousands was the hard part. Why make the task that much harder? It makes no sense.

From a branding/marketing perspective, there is a silver lining: Model X is unique. Virtually every other mid-size luxury CUV has the same basic shape and 4-door/rear hatch form factor. There is absolutely no mistaking Model X for what it is: a Tesla. While Model S is designed to blend in (and indeed can be confused with everything from pricey Porche Panameras to pedestrian Ford Fusions), Model X screams uniqueness and exclusivity. In the luxury car market, where CUVs increasingly reign supreme, this is very important.

My instinct as a car guy is that Model X may well have drained resources from Model 3, but the flip side is that Model X cements Tesla's place in the luxury market. Everyone in the luxury space: BMW, Mercedes Benz, Cadillac and Acura and Lexus, and more, is a player in the CUV market. Model X says "we're here too. We're better. And we're here to stay".

I tend to agree with Krugerrand, Ankitmishra and Anticitizen. Yes the delay/wait and slow ramp up have been painful, and may have delayed Model 3 (though Gigafactory as a prerequisite is the long pole in the tent). But a year or two from now this will all be water under the bridge. Model S production and ramp up were also delayed but we're not worried about it now.

The important thing is this can't happen a third time. Model 3 needs to be simpler and much more readily ramped up.

It would've been annoying, but if Tesla had someone like George B still in their ranks, they could've easily communicated to customers the reason for the delay and dissipated a lot of angst. People tend to be far more understanding when they're properly-informed.

I'm going to post a piece of what I wrote in another thread here, because I think it is pertinent to the way I see the problems with communication. Sorry for the paraphrased cross-post, and feel free to demerit against any potential future rep.

When Tesla can't adequately communicate, it's because they don't know, aren't permitted to answer, or (most likely) are just unsure. This suggests a breakdown either at the internal communication level, and/or at the leadership level. Because things are changing so rapidly within the company, I imagine it's more than difficult for every endpoint to know the latest information. Internal software can help clear up this confusion and assist in presenting a consistent response for the time. However, if leadership is making changes without letting everyone know, the message becomes fragmented. Once that occurs, uncertainty blossoms, and nobody wants to give a wrong answer or send out the wrong message. I fear this is the case at TM. They want to do best by the customer, but don't feel empowered with the latest message. That's my completely uninformed guess at things.

On the rest of the conversation, I'll also say what I keep saying. I hope the falcon wing doors blow the roof :wink: off of the market.

I will add to the confusion that my punch list also brought up the problem of the rear seat carpet panels getting bent if the seat raised into the trunk load floor.

Maybe that issue is being solved as well with new seats.

Believe me, I certainly questioned the manager on "why new seats?"

BTW, I will know if the seats are new or not. There are other punch list items for a scratch and the off center stitching between the seats. All of that creates a unique "fingerprint" of the seat that will help identify if the old seats were fixable once they are removed and reinstalled.

Tesla liked my 45 item punch list with a photo for each item. Off to Fremont it went. The Service Center has access to the original PDF file. Now all we need is a 33 and 78 item list to complete the vinyl record collection.

Not sure what special information folks have as they are assuming model 3 is delayed.

Elon said Model 3 unveil in March and production in 2017.

Is it delayed past those dates? I have not seen anything to say that it is

I think it's more extrapolation based on previous performance in hitting deadlines.

I have zero doubt they will hit unveil. We will see if 2017 cars land with true production quality, or if at least one quarter is shipping cars that are arguably let out the factory door before they are 100% buttoned down, leaving the service centres to do field fixes (some of which seem to be design level changes :( ). This approach can sort of work with the X (though it's not an ideal customer experience), the volumes of the 3 will make this approach a non starter IMHO.

My impression from reading the forums is that the issues noted by the early recipients of MX have solutions and most of the Sigs have been waiting at the factory for final QC along with a few scattered at service centers waiting for parts. It would be great if somebody with eyes on the factory notices hundreds of MX leaving on trucks starting today.