Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in model X launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla still negotiating with suppliers

Hi,
I just finished reading an article from Green car reports:
Tesla Delivery Goal Fell Due To Slower Model X Production Ramp: Sources
that was published yesterday that says that Tesla hasn't placed orders from 2 tier 1 suppliers for the Model X and that they are still negotiating prices.
It goes on to say that it will take 3 months from then until production could start, putting the time frame around December.
I haven't seen anyone posting about this or it hitting any other news feeds, does this seem like a credible claim?
thanks,
Bob

Looks like volume Model X production won't start until December

Great article from John Voelcker on component suppliers for the Model X, still seems to be some uncertainity. Seems like Musk is building a supplier narrative to blunt lack of Model X production in 2015. Hope this scenario doesn't play out this way.&nbsp;<br><br>http://www.teslarati.com/model-x-expectations-lowered-2015/<br><br>

Ummm, no. Eds points were about design changes and component availability; he had nothing to say about financing. Tesla's press release covers the areas where they intend to use proceeds:

Note that doesn't include Model X.

Eds said/speculated that the reason Elon hasn't told people about the delay of the Model X is that he didn't want to stock price to falter. I do not recall if Eds went on to say that Elon wanted to keep the stock price up for a capital raise, but that would be the logical inference for why Elon cared about the stock price (he usually doesn't care about it). Given that Tesla is now raising money, I would say that Eds info was pretty spot on in this regard.

Tesla's use of proceeds statement means nothing at all. It is boilerplate. If the Model X had started shipping by now, chances are they wouldn't have needed to raise money. I would posit that the reason for the raise is uncertainty of when they will ship Model X in large numbers. Indeed both Elon and Deepak on the Q2 conference call said that if they were to raise money in the short term it would be to reduce risk. Meaning risk of running out of money. Prior to Q2 conference call, Deepak stated that they predicted that their low cash position was going to be about $1B. Now they raise $500M which happens to be about a quarter's worth of cash burn.

So yeah, it really does look to me like Eds post was pretty darn accurate - Elon is raising cash now just in case volume Model X sales slip all the way to 1Q16. Eds predicted no volume Model X sales until 1Q16.

I believe the consensus on TMC now is that we don't get a significant ramp of the X until Q1 2016. Given that, I am speculating that 2015 X deliveries will be equal to the 1,200 Sigs for the U.S. So, TM averages about 100 Xs per week for Q4...exiting 2015 at about 200/week max.

Eds said/speculated that the reason Elon hasn't told people about the delay of the Model X is that he didn't want to stock price to falter. I do not recall if Eds went on to say that Elon wanted to keep the stock price up for a capital raise,....

No he didn't talk financing at all and I remember the quote differently to you but there's no point in you and I having a he said/she said argument.

I am ecstatic that at this time the rumours (news) are all pointing to the Model X being built! Whether it's by hand,by foot or machine I have been waiting for over 2 years and have a reservation number under 200 (Canadian ). So I am hoping I will get it for my wife's Christmas party. Every year they ask me "when are you going to get the Model X?". First time post long time lurker.

I am ecstatic that at this time the rumours (news) are all pointing to the Model X being built! Whether it's by hand,by foot or machine I have been waiting for over 2 years and have a reservation number under 200 (Canadian ). So I am hoping I will get it for my wife's Christmas party. Every year they ask me "when are you going to get the Model X?". First time post long time lurker.��

Well some people celebrate Christmas on January 6-7, so you could claim orthodox and buy yourself a couple of weeks...

No he didn't talk financing at all and I remember the quote differently to you but there's no point in you and I having a he said/she said argument.

NigelM is right about this, Eds did say Elon doesn't want to hurt the stock but he didn't claim or speculate financing in any way.

Now, Cosmacelf's speculation on why Tesla is raising is another thing. Plausible. But Eds didn't say it.