Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaying fall delivery for EV credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats your source for this information? What incentives "they have done in the past" are you referring to?

The Y will qualify from an MSRP, final assembly, and source of materials (applicable 2024 onwards). Not seeing any ambiguity in terms of interpreting the legislation that was passed.

My source is from Tesla owners who have received on 4th quarter incentive a few years back.. However, Tesla is doing it now for buyers in china to take delivery now, It's there for you to look into.

Whats your source for this information? What incentives "they have done in the past" are you referring to?

I dont follow model Ys as close ( I have one, I just dont follow it super close) but there were points in model 3 production past where tesla offered the things that were mentioned (free paint upgrade / free wheel upgrade). Going from memory, I think it was likely a quarter in 2019.. perhaps the last one, but again I could be mis remembering it.

I doubt very seriously anything like that happens now, but of course anything is possible, I guess.

Reading through this thread, I see a lot of people speculating (hoping) that tesla will do X or Y because of current pricing, demand, etc. My own personal feeling is, Tesla will play hardball (they changed the order agreement to say 14 days instead of 30 I believe), and most people ordering in the past month or so will be pushed to take delivery this year or lose the $250 order fee.

People with trade ins, etc, should be moving NOW (its already too late for top dollar on used vehicle trade in), interest rates are going higher, and it remains to be seen how much of the credit the vehicle will qualify for (or whether tesla will raise pricing to capture it themselves... which they already basically have done).

All the people trying to delay are likely in for disappointment, though.

I dont follow model Ys as close ( I have one, I just dont follow it super close) but there were points in model 3 production past where tesla offered the things that were mentioned (free paint upgrade / free wheel upgrade). Going from memory, I think it was likely a quarter in 2019.. perhaps the last one, but again I could be mis remembering it.

I doubt very seriously anything like that happens now, but of course anything is possible, I guess.

Reading through this thread, I see a lot of people speculating (hoping) that tesla will do X or Y because of current pricing, demand, etc. My own personal feeling is, Tesla will play hardball (they changed the order agreement to say 14 days instead of 30 I believe), and most people ordering in the past month or so will be pushed to take delivery this year or lose the $250 order fee.

People with trade ins, etc, should be moving NOW (its already too late for top dollar on used vehicle trade in), interest rates are going higher, and it remains to be seen how much of the credit the vehicle will qualify for (or whether tesla will raise pricing to capture it themselves... which they already basically have done).

I don't have trade-in and likely won't finance unless I get a very low rate. So for me waiting is best option.

There are lot of people speculating or hoping that the prices will go down now since Tesla is catching up on the delivery window. How much. higher can can a Model Y or even a Model 3 go up?? The prices now are kind of insane and I am second guessing myself to either wait a year or two when things level off. My EDD was pushed in about 20 days or so however, I was just at the showroom yesterday speaking with an advisor where another person had a model 3 long range on order and was supposed to take delivery in xx- to February and he got a text yesterday that his car was ready!! He was there at the showroom to tell them that he was not ready and they are going to extend it out for him. There was no notice and the advisor said it was probably someone else's car that was rejected delivery and he was next on in the queue for the exact same spec in the same location.. I spoke with the advisor about my delivery and he told me the same thing, just to come to the showroom and they will work with me if I can't take delivery. I am scared that one day I will wake up and get a text that my car is ready now instead of the 2-3 months timeframe it shows in the app now.

Ordered 3/22. Got bumped up deliver my car this week out of nowhere! Was originally late December/January. Called my local Tesla center. Asked if I could put my delivery on hold until 1/1/23 to get the 7,5000. They said yes! And I kept my original price. I have heard mixed results but it worked for me Good luck!
Same for me ordered in June, original EDD was April 2023 but it crept up to, at last report December 2022. I asked to delay delivery and was told that I could, up to NLT my original EDD. I asked for 1/1/2023 and they did it immediately, original price. Good result for me but I think it was made possible by my late original EDD.

Reactions: EV Obsession
The question should be "what reason do they have to allow everyone to delay their orders till after the new year?" and the answer to that is "none", they need to make and move cars, and deliver them to people who ordered. One should not order something they are not willing to take delivery of.
Exactly. We've all read the news reports, too. Tesla has broken delivery records this year, but it isn't yet on track to match what it promised to do in 2022. They are under enormous pressure to make a good showing of deliveries in 2022 Q4. That's the incentive that may well be driving this bus.

Was April 2023 the beginning or ending month of your original EDD?
It was the start. My Tesla contact specifically stated "You can delay delivery to the start of your initial delivery window which would be April 2023." I confirmed that this was a NLT date, approved it, and immediately my app showed "Your delivery is on hold until 1/1/2023." But we'll see ... it ain't over yet.

It was the start. My Tesla contact specifically stated "You can delay delivery to the start of your initial delivery window which would be April 2023." I confirmed that this was a NLT date, approved it, and immediately my app showed "Your delivery is on hold until 1/1/2023." But we'll see ... it ain't over yet.
I am trying to see if I can put mine on hold. The initial EDD on MYLR is December 2022.

The question should be "what reason do they have to allow everyone to delay their orders till after the new year?" and the answer to that is "none", they need to make and move cars, and deliver them to people who ordered. One should not order something they are not willing to take delivery of.
I am no attorney, but correct me if I am wrong {any civil attorney out there? } In California Tesla clearly has 30 day to take your deposit and cancel your order. In Canada its 14 days. This is according to the MVPA. It does state you must take delivery within 3 days or loose the offered vehicle at the time. But if my simple non attorney mind is working with common sense then this means as a consumer in California I have up to 30 days to close the deal and take delivery of my vehicle. Any civil attorney out there that can elaborate.

So have any of the EV manufacturers that assemble EVs in the US stated that their batteries meet the 40% critical minerals minimum and 50% battery components minimum to get the full $7500 tax credit? These percentages are not something that would suddenly change in the next 6 weeks.

Vehicles Placed in Service After December 31, 2022​

Beginning January 1, 2023, the Clean Vehicle Credit provisions remove manufacturer sales caps, expand the scope of eligible vehicles to include both EVs and FCEVs, require a traction battery that has at least seven kilowatt-hours (kWh), and establish criteria for a vehicle to be considered eligible that involve sourcing requirements for critical mineral extraction, processing, and recycling and battery component manufacturing and assembly. Vehicles that meet critical mineral requirements are eligible for $3,750 tax credit, and vehicles that meet battery component requirements are eligible for a $3,750 tax credit. Vehicles meeting both the critical mineral and the battery component requirements are eligible for a total tax credit of up to $7,500.

Critical Minerals: To be eligible for the $3,750 critical minerals portion of the tax credit, the percentage of the value of the battery’s critical minerals that are extracted or processed in the United States or a U.S. free-trade agreement partner or recycled in North America, must increase according to the following schedule:

YearCritical minerals minimum percent value requirement
202340%
202450%
202560%
202670%
2027 and later80%

Battery Components: To be eligible for the $3,750 battery components portion of the tax credit, the percentage of the value of the battery’s components that are manufactured or assembled in North America must increase according to the following schedule:

YearBattery components minimum percent value requirement
202350%
2024 and 202560%
202670%
202780%
202890%
2029 and later100%

• Informative
Reactions: house9
When I ordered my EDD was Jan to April 2023, after I got an EDD of Dec 3rd to Dec 31st EDD last week I texted back request to put my order on hold, they asked me when do I want to take delivery, I replied April, and they put my order on hold until 04/01/2023. I think they're a bit chill nowadays regarding hold requests.