Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deletions on Current “Inventory”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am torn between purchasing from Tesla a 2020 MSLR or taking advantage of the $7500 discount on current inventory.

I understand tesla has been deleting sonar, parking sensors, both software and hardware.

There seems to be some disagreement as to whether Tesla is removing use of the parking sensors on vehicles that come with sensors - vehicles built prior to 2023.

Has anyone compiled a list changes/deletions on these two options: 2020 vs. 2023 inventory?

And have there been very recent changes between vehicles currently rolling out (built after February 2023) and the current “inventory.”?

Finally, is there a sense within this community that “inventory” vehicles are largely blemished, rejected by original customer, or otherwise “rejects.”?

I do understand about the refresh vehicles not having steering wheel stalks for turn signals, and putting the vehicle into reverse on the fly.

I’m just not clear on the MCU and USS issue, and what to ask service center about a particular “inventory” vehicle.

For instance, parking sensors are important to me, but if they’re being removed from existing vehicles like a pre-owned 2020 purchased through Tesla, then I might just purchase new which will have the most current technology and hopefully the parking sensors will return through software?

I know I threw a lot into this question but I thought maybe somebody might have some helpful information that might assist in making a decision.

I’ve found prior threads in point, mostly in MY board. Great example and great answer to my post:

1687099731559.png

Older cars have radar disabled so it doesn’t matter if you buy with or without radar.

The USS still definitely work if you have them. Don’t know if they will disable those too. Radar I didn’t care because it feels just as good to me. USS I have my doubts they could ever match and I depend on them a lot due to a snug garage.

I am torn between purchasing from Tesla a 2020 MSLR or taking advantage of the $7500 discount on current inventory.

I understand tesla has been deleting sonar, parking sensors, both software and hardware.

There seems to be some disagreement as to whether Tesla is removing use of the parking sensors on vehicles that come with sensors - vehicles built prior to 2023.

Has anyone compiled a list changes/deletions on these two options: 2020 vs. 2023 inventory?

And have there been very recent changes between vehicles currently rolling out (built after February 2023) and the current “inventory.”?

Finally, is there a sense within this community that “inventory” vehicles are largely blemished, rejected by original customer, or otherwise “rejects.”?

I do understand about the refresh vehicles not having steering wheel stalks for turn signals, and putting the vehicle into reverse on the fly.

I’m just not clear on the MCU and USS issue, and what to ask service center about a particular “inventory” vehicle.

For instance, parking sensors are important to me, but if they’re being removed from existing vehicles like a pre-owned 2020 purchased through Tesla, then I might just purchase new which will have the most current technology and hopefully the parking sensors will return through software?

I know I threw a lot into this question but I thought maybe somebody might have some helpful information that might assist in making a decision.
Wait for new model 3. As for $7500 discount it id NOT a discount despite all the flak I've taken on this forum. The $7500 only works if after you do your 1040 and all the deductions, etc you have to OWE $7500 in Federal Tax. So, unless you earned alot of money and did not take out enough federal you will only get a portion of the $7500. Anybody who says I don't know what I'm talking about I recently watched a youtube video with a guy who says should you buy a model 3 he states your MUST OWE $7500 in federal tax. You need the radar and should wait.

Wait for new model 3. As for $7500 discount it id NOT a discount despite all the flak I've taken on this forum. The $7500 only works if after you do your 1040 and all the deductions, etc you have to OWE $7500 in Federal Tax. So, unless you earned alot of money and did not take out enough federal you will only get a portion of the $7500. Anybody who says I don't know what I'm talking about I recently watched a youtube video with a guy who says should you buy a model 3 he states your MUST OWE $7500 in federal tax. You need the radar and should wait.
Your tax liability does NOT equal your refund. Period. We intentionally structure our withholding to not get a refund because we don't believe in giving the government a tax- free loan all year. Even though our refund will be near zero each year without this factored in, we'll still get a $7,500 tax credit because it's deducted from your tax liability, not your refund. I saw a video on YouTube once where a guy was eating Tide Pods.. does that prove it's true?

Your tax liability does NOT equal your refund. Period. We intentionally structure our withholding to not get a refund because we don't believe in giving the government a tax- free loan all year. Even though our refund will be near zero each year without this factored in, we'll still get a $7,500 tax credit because it's deducted from your tax liability, not your refund. I saw a video on YouTube once where a guy was eating Tide Pods.. does that prove it's true?
Whatever.............Still, don't buy now. The current car/software is woefully lacking in safety features other cars have.

OMG, so it’s on YouTube and that confirms you must be right.

No, you do not have to OWE $7500 to get $7500 in your pocket. You have to have paid $7500 in TOTAL federal taxes for the year.

Unless you work at Burger King part time or work under the table you probably paid well over $7500 in federal taxes. When you do your taxes the net you pay to federal will be $7500 less with the tax credit. Regardless if you owe or due a refund.

And it’s not a deduction. So it comes right off the top of what you pay federal for the year.

If you/employer did a perfect job estimating taxes and you neither owe or due a refund you’ll get a check for $7500.00 from the IRS.

Hard to believe folks that can afford a Tesla don’t understand this.

Last edited:
Whatever.............Still, don't buy now. The current car/software is woefully lacking in safety features other cars have.
Yeah listen to the guy that doesn’t understand how a tax credit works.

Oh right, Teslas are noted for being unsafe. Did you learn that on YouTube too?

Go to your safer other car forums and teach them what you learned on YouTube.

You sir do not know what you are talking about. Your tax liability needs to be over $7500. See below:

1687140886386.png

Line 20 depends on “what you had taken out over the year”. Line 6 needs to exceed $7500. And I think you can carry over. But if you make that little you are probably over extending.
You are mixing up people you are replying to, so I'm not going to bother trying to have a discussion on that part. I will just say the credit does not carry over. You have to use it all in the one year or you lose it. This interestingly enough is not like the other green energy credits like Solar, those you can carry over until you use them all.

You are mixing up people you are replying to, so I'm not going to bother trying to have a discussion on that part. I will just say the credit does not carry over. You have to use it all in the one year or you lose it. This interestingly enough is not like the other green energy credits like Solar, those you can carry over until you use them all.
I did indeed. Sorry. Thanks for catching that. I removed my post. Thanks for correction on carry over too. I wasn’t sure on that.

OMG, so it’s on YouTube and that confirms you must be right.

No, you do not have to OWE $7500 to get $7500 in your pocket. You have to have paid $7500 in TOTAL federal taxes for the year.

Unless you work at Burger King part time or work under the table you probably paid well over $7500 in federal taxes. When you do your taxes the net you pay to federal will be $7500 less with the tax credit. Regardless if you owe or due a refund.

And it’s not a deduction. So it comes right off the top of what you pay federal for the year.

If you/employer did a perfect job estimating taxes and you neither owe or due a refund you’ll get a check for $7500.00 from the IRS.

Hard to believe folks that can afford a Tesla don’t understand this.
OK, so a Tesla guy on youtube is an idiot. I did a number of Google searches and nowhere does it say you can use it as a refund. However in 2024 the hits I found say you can apply the credit at time of sale. So, ANOTHER reason not to buy a car that needs a real upgrade this year.
BTW when I bought my car in 2019 I got $3750 which LOWERED max adjusted gross income $3750 like a 401K. This new deal is confusing and every search I do is all over the map

You really just don't understand. Credits never lower your income, those are deductions. Credits decrease the amount of tax owed by the exact amount of the credit. Deductions lower your taxable income by the amount of the deduction, of which you pay a tax rate. So credits trump deductions. A non-refundable credit means you can't pay a negative tax amount. The earned income credit for example is a refundable credit. You can pay no taxes all year, and still get money back from the government (meaning a negative tax).

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Yeah listen to the guy that doesn’t understand how a tax credit works.

Oh right, Teslas are noted for being unsafe. Did you learn that on YouTube too?

Go to your safer other car forums and teach them what you learned on YouTube.
I didn't learn about Tesla safety issues from Youtube. FSD almost plowed me into a car approaching on the left lane because it wanted to let cars enter the highway in my lane. Instead of speeding up it wanted to change lanes. It aborted midway and I had to take over. Mr Cheapskate saves $100 per car getting rid of USS, doesn't update the code to take up the slack, puts HW4 into cars and the code doesn't handle it, he takes a $44B company and now Fidelity values it at 12B, is an expert on warfare, says vote for republicans (oh btw democrats passed the money he's ([and you] are gonna reap from IRA), and is also an expert at vaccines.
I paid 41000 for the car (when I bought it AP was $3k), 2 weeks late it was free and the Tesla card was built in, I traded by 2 year old Prius and NYS gave me an
immediate $2K so in all I laid out 20 something. As a previous poster said how would a guy working at Burger King owe $7500 in tax? I doubt anyone working
there can buy a hoopdie with what they pay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

• Disagree
Reactions: morbidz
That is a lot to unpack.
In the interim, I pick up an HW4 MS in a few days. What are concerns with HW4?
I didn't learn about Tesla safety issues from Youtube. FSD almost plowed me into a car approaching on the left lane because it wanted to let cars enter the highway in my lane. Instead of speeding up it wanted to change lanes. It aborted midway and I had to take over. Mr Cheapskate saves $100 per car getting rid of USS, doesn't update the code to take up the slack, puts HW4 into cars and the code doesn't handle it, he takes a $44B company and now Fidelity values it at 12B, is an expert on warfare, says vote for republicans (oh btw democrats passed the money he's ([and you] are gonna reap from IRA), and is also an expert at vaccines.
I paid 41000 for the car (when I bought it AP was $3k), 2 weeks late it was free and the Tesla card was built in, I traded by 2 year old Prius and NYS gave me an
immediate $2K so in all I laid out 20 something. As a previous poster said how would a guy working at Burger King owe $7500 in tax? I doubt anyone working
there can buy a hoopdie with what they pay (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Yeah, I've read the code has backleveled function (on this website) and you are not going to get the added capabilities of the 3 extra cameras and added radar.
Can you dumb that down for me, if you have time?
I recognize there will be a step back and hopefully three steps forward but will it impact crash detection, automatic braking and/or pre-crash braking.

That I care about.
Parking sensors I can live without.
If there is a link with more info maybe you can point me toward it?
Thx.

I’ve found prior threads in point, mostly in MY board. Great example and great answer to my post:

View attachment 948182
Illogical argument above. The savings should not be compared to revenue, but to profit. The argument above would be more like "this would be equivalent to a car salesperson who sells $50,000 worth of cars a year (which is the revenue generated by the salesperson, from which they earn maybe $4,000 a year, or $333 per month), saving $85 a month".

Quick google search:
In 2020, it reported net profits just shy of $690 million on revenue of $31.5 billion, followed by a more impressive jump to over $5.5 billion in profitability achieved in 2021 ($53.8 billion in revenue), and lastly, a record-high profit figure of around $12.5 billion in 2022 (revenue of $81.4 billion
$100M a year is almost 1% extra profit on their record year so far. Market expectations are that their profit will go down in 2023.