Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deletions on Current “Inventory”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you dumb that down for me, if you have time?
I recognize there will be a step back and hopefully three steps forward but will it impact crash detection, automatic braking and/or pre-crash braking.

That I care about.
Parking sensors I can live without.
If there is a link with more info maybe you can point me toward it?
Thx.
Don't know if this helps, but here's one article I found on Google that talks about it HW4 Sensor Suite Shows That Buying a Tesla Without Ultrasonic Sensors Is a Huge Mistake
What it basically is saying you want HW4 fine...but wait for the extra cameras and rumored HD-RADAR which was filed with the patent office late last year

Reactions: StevenSD and Mayer
Don't know if this helps, but here's one article I found on Google that talks about it HW4 Sensor Suite Shows That Buying a Tesla Without Ultrasonic Sensors Is a Huge Mistake
What it basically is saying you want HW4 fine...but wait for the extra cameras and rumored HD-RADAR which was filed with the patent office late last year
Couple comments here.

1) All model S/X cars with HW4 have so far come equipped with HD Radar. (Not activated in software as far as we know.)
2) Whether or not there will ever be additional cameras utilized for an advanced version of FSD is anyone's guess.

The "camera only" Model S/X is currently lacking some of the enhanced autopilot features due to the lack of sensors. (Tesla makes this clear when you purchase one on the app). Telsa is promising a software update to re-enable them in the future. That being said, a "promise" is not the same thing as actually having the feature now. So if you buy a sensor-less Model S/X, you should go eyes wide open knowing that all features are not yet enabled...and when and to what degree they'll be enabled is really anyone's guess.

So if those features are vitally important to you...wait.

Couple comments here.

1) All model S/X cars with HW4 have so far come equipped with HD Radar. (Not activated in software as far as we know.)
2) Whether or not there will ever be additional cameras utilized for an advanced version of FSD is anyone's guess.

The "camera only" Model S/X is currently lacking some of the enhanced autopilot features due to the lack of sensors. (Tesla makes this clear when you purchase one on the app). Telsa is promising a software update to re-enable them in the future. That being said, a "promise" is not the same thing as actually having the feature now. So if you buy a sensor-less Model S/X, you should go eyes wide open knowing that all features are not yet enabled...and when and to what degree they'll be enabled is really anyone's guess.

So if those features are vitally important to you...wait.
Thank you Joey.
Helpful to know all HW4 are HD Radar ready.
Can you differentiate safety features lost by deletion of USS?
I can live with no parking assist, but might not be able to “live” without a frontal collision warning system and/or auto braking?

Are those safety systems tied to USS or HR Radar or HW4?

Thank you Joey.
Helpful to know all HW4 are HD Radar ready.
Can you differentiate safety features lost by deletion of USS?
I can live with no parking assist, but might not be able to “live” without a frontal collision warning system and/or auto braking?

Are those safety systems tied to USS or HR Radar or HW4?
No...all of the safety features are still enabled.

Here's all the details from Tesla:

Basically, here's the summary: ("USS" = "Ultrasonic Sensors")

Features*Equipped with USSNot equipped with USS
Forward Collision Warning
Automatic Emergency Braking
Lane Departure Warning / Avoidance
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
Pedal Misapplication Mitigation
Auto High Beam
Autowiper
Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime
AutoSteer**
Auto Lane Changes
Navigate on Autopilot
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
Park AssistComing soon
AutoparkComing soon
SummonComing soon
Smart SummonComing soon

Auto High Beam
Autowiper
AutoSteer**
Auto Lane Changes
Navigate on Autopilot
Park AssistComing soon
AutoparkComing soon
SummonComing soon
Smart SummonComing soon
Precisely the information I was hoping to get. Thank you again.

Auto High Beam
Autowiper
AutoSteer**
Auto Lane Changes
Navigate on Autopilot
Park AssistComing soon
AutoparkComing soon
SummonComing soon
Smart SummonComing soon
Is it then safe to conclude that USS was only EVER applicable to the last four features:
Park Assist; Autopark; Summon; and, Smart Summon?

In other words, does anyone believe USS was previously utilized for frontal collision safety systems but Tesla concludes its camera system is good enough for frontal collision warning system and auto braking?

Last edited:
Is it then safe to conclude that USS was only EVER applicable to the last four features:
Park Assist; Autopark; Summon; and, Smart Summon?

In other words, does anyone believe USS was previously utilized for frontal collision safety systems but Tesla concludes its camera system is good enough for frontal collision warning system and auto braking?
USS is only good for short range / low spped. (Which is why it's used for things like park assist and lane warnings, cross traffic warnings, etc). In other cars Radar is typically used for collision detection and emergency braking systems. Tesla has been doing without Radar for some time. Yes, I believe Vision Only is as good or even better than competitor's radar systems (which are typically front only...vision is 360 degrees).

Jury is still out on if the current camera systems can be as effective as multiple sonic sensors for park assist.

Reactions: Mayer
AP1 cars definitely don’t have their radar disabled, but at this point I believe everything AP2 and above isn’t using it any more.

Thanks for confirming it. Am I the only one seeing lots of unqualified statements being made on the forum these days? Another owner in a different thread made the same claim, which I could not believe to be factual.

The older cars like mine have their radar disabled? Are you sure about this? I surely did not know my radar had been disabled!!!
Depends on how old. Basically any car capable of running FSB beta now has “Vision Only” AutoPilot whether you are on FSB beta or not. FSB beta users lost it first. Then later all cars. If you are on AP1 you probably didn’t lose it. If on AP2.0 or AP2.5 I don’t know the status.

FSB beta probably requires AP3.0 hardware. So anything AP3.0 likely has no Radar functioning and is in “Vision Only”