TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Delivered but not without issues with fit and paint

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by obiii, Jun 12, 2019.

1. obiii

obiii Member

Got the car on Monday, it's amazing and I absolutely love it. But it isn't without issues, I have a service appointment tomorrow to bring it in to have them (hopefully, knock on wood) fix everything.

What do you guys think the likelihood that all of these will be successfully fixed? Have any of you had similar issues that got fixed?

Front Trunk alignment with Front Bumper is inconsistent - this is the one that is bothering me the most IMG_20190610_144108.jpg

Paint blemish under taillight on driver's side
    IMG_20190610_122820.jpg

Paint is just straight up scratched on passenger side rear bumper
    IMG_20190610_122749.jpg

Gap between taillights on driver's side is noticeably larger than passenger side
    IMG_20190610_143306.jpg
    IMG_20190610_143313.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. usafakid09

usafakid09 Member

They will take care of it. An annoyance but they will make it right.

• Like x 1
  3. The Outrage

The Outrage Member

What part of the delivery process is leading to these scratches? I've never heard of a vehicle model being delivered so consistenly with obvious paint scratches.

Unfortunately, I suspect both of your Model 3's rear quarter panels will need to be repainted.

4. pcgqr1

pcgqr1 Member

That looks bad. And it’s a P. What’s your VIN?

5. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I took delivery on 12/5/18 of a Blue Model 3 Performance with a misaligned "frunk" similar to yours along with about 13 paint and trim alignment defects - the worst being 3 long and deep scratches on the front left fender near the frunk. The Tesla approved body shop was able to align the frunk and correct all the paint issues (4 panels were completely resprayed). My car looks better now than on delivery day.

Tesla approved body shop billed Tesla $3,612 for the repairs and Enterprise Rent-A-Car billed Tesla for a 2 week rental of a Model S 100D.
    I had to wait 2.5 months for the first available body shop opening.....but, during this time I kept finding more defects and Tesla added them to my "Due Bill" without any questions.

I see your car has the rear spoiler and badge...I'm still waiting for mine.

Good Luck with the repairs !!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. raptor5244

raptor5244 Member

I think it is a combination of things.

- Rushed assembly, which increases mistakes like excessive panel gaps, missing bolts and other hardware, misaligned fenders, and inadvertent scratches. The service centers should address these first before we take delivery.
    - Delivered by open transporters cross country with little to no paint protection. When I ordered my Corvette the car was on an open transporter but it was completely wrapped in a cover to protect the paint and as a result there was not a blemish on the car when I received it. Lexus transports there new cars in an enclosed trailer. Bottom line Tesla saves time and money by not prepping the cars for transport but has to deal with a lot of post delivery clean up resulting in poor customer satisfaction.

7. gobble

gobble Member

Personally I'd return it if you're still within the 7 days. $50k for a car that's had a partial repaint is crazy.

• Like x 4
  8. obiii

obiii Member

Yeah it's a P3D with a June 2019 build date... VIN is 4199xx

9. obiii

obiii Member

Yeah I'd consider that, we'll see what they say today... I really want this car but I have to remind myself I paid 75k for this so it needs to be perfect

10. super20g

super20g Member

Yep, I'd strongly advise this too if you want the paint reworked. I kept mine and went through months of body shop nightmares that has diminished the value of the car. Should have rejected it and waited for one that was in acceptable condition from the get go...

11. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

#11 N5329K, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    In the bad old days, Soviet factories “stormed” to meet monthly quotas. Everyone knew to avoid goods manufactured in the last week of the month, where screws would be driven with hammers and wire bundles left dangling inside appliance cabinets. People who had no choice (because they’d waited for years for a new Lada) knew they’d have to drive a stormed vehicle straight to a backyard shop for fixing, at their own expense. There was no other choice. The State held a near absolute monopoly on consumer goods.
    Your P3 was stormed, and the only difference is that Tesla feels obliged to correct its mistakes.
    Like the State of old, they have a near absolute monopoly on desirable EV's. Today, Russians avoid domestic products when they can and buy elsewhere. If and when other manufacturers start (really) building desirable EV's, I think the same thing will happen to Tesla (unless they get this straightened out first).
    Robin

12. T3SLAROD

T3SLAROD Member

Does Tesla not have someone doing a final check before the cars are loaded and sent to delivery centers? This is terrible.

13. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

#13 Glamisduner, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Yes return it. I didn't and I wish I did.

repaint.jpg

They were able to fix my frunk alightment and trunk / light alignment. It the frunk was all frunked up at delivery. The paint though... well it will be ok, but I'd just reject it. I look back and wonder what I was thinking. I mean, the wait was allot longer, I was going to lose my loan etc but I still wish I would have just rejected it.

14. Burrito

Burrito Member

My trunk had the same alignment issues. Tesla “fixed” it but it still looks the same. Said to be “spec”

15. Threader

Threader Member

My trunk lid is rubbing up against the bumper left side (Drivers) cause a 3-4 inch long scuff mark paint removed maybe 1/8 inch wide. Not noticable at delivery but after a month of ownership damage is done. Trunk lid needs alignment. Bumper needs paint job.

16. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Member

I really hope my white on white performance doesn’t look like that. I may have to refuse the car. That’s unacceptable.

17. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Dude let it go and enjoy your car. I know I’ll get a lot of disagrees on this comment. Do you really think any of this affects the resale value of your investment when it winds up on the used car lot? How much of your personal time are you willing to put into this? How long are you willing to be without you car while they fix it?

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Don't forget that if you were planning to PPF those areas you will have to let the paint dry for a couple months after the repaint, at which point it will likely get chips while your waiting for the paint to cure.

19. texasdoc

texasdoc Member

Received my white on white LR AWD 2 days ago. It was raining so the car was pretty filthy when it got to my house. I did my best paint inspection and didn't see anything but obviously may have missed something. Panel gaps looked good and wheels were free of scratches. Interior seemed flawless. What I didn't miss was the right headlight, and to a lesser extent the left, installed so sloppily they are crooked in their opening and actually overlap the bumper. The delivery guy took pics, said he would open a service ticket, but I have heard nothing so far. As expected he didn't respond to my email about it. Looks like I'm about to have the fun of dealing with Tesla's abysmal customer service. If I operated this way in my professional life (not returning phone calls and emails) I would be living in a van down by the river.

20. raptor5244

raptor5244 Member

in a van down by the river - Google Search: