Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered yesterday, today $7500 discount rolled out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is true. I was actually thinking more of Amazon Japan, and the items I buy there tend to be collectible items, so I don't think return/price match is easy to do, if even possible, as someone who does not live in Japan. But anyway, that was what came to mind because there have been a few times I bought something there and was kicking myself a few days later when I saw the price drop.
Ah, I got you. Funny, on another thread I just read, a Tesla SA told the buyer that they don't qualify since they already took delivery and said that it's not like he bought a shirt...assuming they meant that buying a Tesla is not like buying a shirt where you can go back to return or price match, haha. Savages but I get their point, albeit sad.

This quote is becoming more and more real; “You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

Can you clarify? Are you saying that this incentive models feels like a regular dealership model? If so, I agree.

I took some time to think about these incentives since I missed out on all 3 ($3750, 10K and the additional $3750). Nov delivery. Car was in the shop for 4 weeks, picked it up in Dec.

On one hand, I can't complain that we're able to own this car. On the other hand, all the wait due to rubber banding EDD, questionable delivery experience due to build quality, now the icing on the cake, value drop, makes it feel like I'm back dealing with an old school dealership but with less interaction or anyone I can actually complain to, lol.

Dealerships do this same thing all the time, though with a dealership if you haven’t physically accepted the car and can back out I think the dealership is more likely to work with you than Tesla. Some of that maybe demand driven tho

Dealerships do this same thing all the time, though with a dealership if you haven’t physically accepted the car and can back out I think the dealership is more likely to work with you than Tesla. Some of that maybe demand driven tho
For sure, but that was my point, Tesla's goal (At least from outside looking in + my own experience buying one) is to do something different than what dealerships have been doing for years. Example, if you bought the same car and trim as me from two different, regular dealership, your price and my price might differ depending on how we negotiate, timing, salesperson we're working it, that specific dealership incentives, etc. BUT at the end, if I didn't know you, I wouldn't know what your price is. We know what MSRP is but we don't know what the final price is going to be off or over that MSRP.

Tesla is transparent in the way they do things, price is right there on their website so when they do incentives and you literally just missed out, it feels...different...like FOMO but with real money at play as we're talking about thousands versus a free floor mat or something, lol.

Can you clarify? Are you saying that this incentive models feels like a regular dealership model? If so, I agree.

I took some time to think about these incentives since I missed out on all 3 ($3750, 10K and the additional $3750). Nov delivery. Car was in the shop for 4 weeks, picked it up in Dec.

On one hand, I can't complain that we're able to own this car. On the other hand, all the wait due to rubber banding EDD, questionable delivery experience due to build quality, now the icing on the cake, value drop, makes it feel like I'm back dealing with an old school dealership but with less interaction or anyone I can actually complain to, lol.

I certainly feel your frustration. That said, I also was never that convinced that Tesla's model of selling directly to the customer is really THAT much better than the "stealership". Many people get caught up in the idea that "stealership" charges everybody a different price for the vehicle. But what they forget is outside of post-COVID.. most people never paid MSRP for a vehicle. Everybody got a discount on a brand-new vehicle. For example the 2018 CRV I bought years before my Model Y.. had a sticker price of $31K.. I paid $27K. And while dealerships are certainly guilty of the absolutely worst sale tactics possible.. the reality is Tesla has never made me feel that much better about their sales process.

If anything I felt the opposite when Tesla lowballed me on the trade-in price of my CRV. The initial offer was $21K.. I put a deposit on an inventory Model Y.. and when the time came to turn in my CRV the offer dropped just a week later to $19K. Their explanation? A quarter-sized dent in the rear hatch meant they had to replace the entire hatch of the vehicle lol. I refused the trade, bought the Model Y separately, and listed my CRV on the Facebook marketplace. Within 2 days a local Honda offered me $23K for the car ($4K more than Tesla's highest offer). I told them about them about the dent and they laughed.. said any paintless dent repair guy could fix that for $25.

Also, the delivery process is even more questionable with Tesla. For the most part, you order a car and it gets delivered under a vast range of conditions. Could be perfect.. could be far from perfect.. it is very much YMMV. My Model Y only had a couple of cosmetic flaws. But others I've seen delivered should have never been allowed to leave the factory. Say what you want about typical "stealership" but I've never needed to go to a dealer with a checklist to buy a brand new vehicle.. until I bought a Tesla.

I think too many people get caught up in the easy, online-only transaction when it comes to buying a Tesla. And I'll admit.. it's fantastic. It's akin to the first time you used Turbo Tax.. versus paying a professional to do your taxes. While it's great to avoid the face-to-face dealership negotiation that nobody looks forward to. The reality is when you buy from Tesla.. the price is set in stone.. and for most things you are also buying a car that now only can be serviced and parts supplied by Tesla. They own you, there is no walking away from them. Whereas when I buy a car from a "stealership" there is a good chance I'll never go to that dealer again.. as the only reason I went there in the first place as they had the cheapest price on the vehicle. This is the part that gets forgotten.. until something happens to your Tesla and you have to go back to them for customer service. That's when they got you by the balls lol. Because chances are.. only they have the part.. and only they can fix it.. and most importantly only they can decide WHEN to fix it. Whereas something like my old CRV.. can be serviced by any Honda dealer or any mechanic/body shop/etc. I can shop around for which dealer/mechanic/shop is the cheapest.. quickest.. or most highly rated. In other words, I have a choice in who/how/when/what gets repaired.

So be careful with the whole "stealership" idea (and Im not speaking to you directly.. just speaking in general). At the end of the day ALL of these companies are for-profit businesses and NONE of them are your friend. You exist for one reason, to make them money. Some are better than others. Some are worst than others. Im not saying Tesla's take is the best way for everybody. Im not saying the "stealership" is the best way for everybody. But I am saying they all exist only to sell you a product and/or service. And they just have different ways of doing that. Choose the one that works best for you. I will say that FWIW after buying my Tesla.. the visits I have had with the service centers have been timely, quick, and MUCH better than expected every time. So I have nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about Tesla's service.. at least thus far lol. Im, sure there are others in this very thread that feel very differently about how Tesla has fixed their car

Last edited:
I certainly feel your frustration. That said, I also was never that convinced that Tesla's model of selling directly to the customer is really THAT much better than the "stealership". Many people get caught up in the idea that "stealership" charges everybody a different price for the vehicle. But what they forget is outside of post-COVID.. most people never paid MSRP for a vehicle. Everybody got a discount on a brand-new vehicle. For example the 2018 CRV I bought years before my Model Y.. had a sticker price of $31K.. I paid $27K. And while dealerships are certainly guilty of the absolutely worst sale tactics possible.. the reality is Tesla has never made me feel that much better about their sales process.

If anything I felt the opposite when Tesla lowballed me on the trade-in price of my CRV. The initial offer was $21K.. I put a deposit on an inventory Model Y.. and when the time came to turn in my CRV the offer dropped just a week later to $19K. Their explanation? A quarter-sized dent in the rear hatch meant they had to replace the entire hatch of the vehicle lol. I refused the trade, bought the Model Y separately, and listed my CRV on the Facebook marketplace. Within 2 days a local Honda offered me $23K for the car ($4K more than Tesla's highest offer). I told them about them about the dent and they laughed.. said any paintless dent repair guy could fix that for $25.

Also, the delivery process is even more questionable with Tesla. For the most part, you order a car and it gets delivered under a vast range of conditions. Could be perfect.. could be far from perfect.. it is very much YMMV. My Model Y only had a couple of cosmetic flaws. But others I've seen delivered should have never been allowed to leave the factory. Say what you want about typical "stealership" but I've never needed to go to a dealer with a checklist to buy a brand new vehicle.. until I bought a Tesla.

I think too many people get caught up in the easy, online-only transaction when it comes to buying a Tesla. And I'll admit.. it's fantastic. It's akin to the first time you used Turbo Tax.. versus paying a professional to do your taxes. While it's great to avoid the face-to-face dealership negotiation that nobody looks forward to. The reality is when you buy from Tesla.. the price is set in stone.. and for most things you are also buying a car that now only can be serviced and parts supplied by Tesla. They own you, there is no walking away from them. Whereas when I buy a car from a "stealership" there is a good chance I'll never go to that dealer again.. as the only reason I went there in the first place as they had the cheapest price on the vehicle. This is the part that gets forgotten.. until something happens to your Tesla and you have to go back to them for customer service. That's when they got you by the balls lol. Because chances are.. only they have the part.. and only they can fix it.. and most importantly only they can decide WHEN to fix it. Whereas something like my old CRV.. can be serviced by any Honda dealer or any mechanic/body shop/etc. I can shop around for which dealer/mechanic/shop is the cheapest.. quickest.. or most highly rated. In other words, I have a choice in who/how/when/what gets repaired.

So be careful with the whole "stealership" idea (and Im not speaking to you directly.. just speaking in general). At the end of the day ALL of these companies are for-profit businesses and NONE of them are your friend. You exist for one reason, to make them money. Some are better than others. Some are worst than others. Im not saying Tesla's take is the best way for everybody. Im not saying the "stealership" is the best way for everybody. But I am saying they all exist only to sell you a product and/or service. And they just have different ways of doing that. Choose the one that works best for you. I will say that FWIW after buying my Tesla.. the visits I have had with the service centers have been timely, quick, and MUCH better than expected every time. So I have nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about Tesla's service.. at least thus far lol. Im, sure there are others in this very thread that feel very differently about how Tesla has fixed their car
I actually agree with all your points, lol. Same experience too. There's good and bad to both side but to simply say one is bad and another is good is not accurate.

I think if anything come out of it is that both side can learn from one another and gives us (the customer) a better overall experience. Dealership needs to stop living up to their moniker of being a stealership. Tesla needs to stop utilizing their good guy persona to try and get away from owning up to things.

I don't understand all the griping here. I mean, you bought a car on X day for Y price (which you were obviously ok with). The next day or week, the price effectively changed and/or there were added incentives, which you don't qualify for as you already have your car. Name me a legacy dealership where you could go back in and get these incentives after delivery. So yeah, in this one instance, Tesla is just like a dealership. :rolleyes: Not sure what the issue is here and why there's another thread about this. I mean, knowing you could have gotten $7500 credit in January, you could have canceled your order and just re-ordered after 1/1/2023.

I don't understand all the griping here. I mean, you bought a car on X day for Y price (which you were obviously ok with). The next day or week, the price effectively changed and/or there were added incentives, which you don't qualify for as you already have your car. Name me a legacy dealership where you could go back in and get these incentives after delivery. So yeah, in this one instance, Tesla is just like a dealership. :rolleyes: Not sure what the issue is here and why there's another thread about this. I mean, knowing you could have gotten $7500 credit in January, you could have canceled your order and just re-ordered after 1/1/2023.
Probably because you already own your Tesla and probably paid much less than op for it. I paid 55k for my awd and fsd, same card now what, 80-90k?

I'm simply shocked Tesla felt the need to offer an even deeper discount than the already generous $3750 + 10K Supercharger miles. There must've been a lot more hold outs than anticipated, to the point it is impacting EOQ numbers.

It sucks but nothing you can do about it, just like folks that took delivery before the first $3750 discount. You took delivery at an agreed upon price/discount. If Tesla suddenly increased prices after delivery nobody is going back to pay them more. If you have your car it is a done deal, just enjoy it.

Reactions: Yelobird
I'm simply shocked Tesla felt the need to offer an even deeper discount than the already generous $3750 + 10K Supercharger miles. There must've been a lot more hold outs than anticipated, to the point it is impacting EOQ numbers.

It sucks but nothing you can do about it, just like folks that took delivery before the first $3750 discount. You took delivery at an agreed upon price/discount. If Tesla suddenly increased prices after delivery nobody is going back to pay them more. If you have your car it is a done deal, just enjoy it.
It's either the holdouts, or the inventory they have stacking up from cancellations. On the east coast it seems like there are a ton of 2023s sitting on lots right now. I can browse to get nearly anything I want without having to order/wait.

Sooooo, when you got your $3,750 discount yesterday, were you unhappy? If not, why would a discount offered to someone else make you unhappy, when you were perfectly happy before?
I took delivery yesterday and got 3.750 discount before tax. Today the discount is 7.500 - called Tesla and the sales person said that we should receive $3750 check for the difference as long it was delivered on 21st. Hope this is true

Reactions: GoodKarma
We ordered on 12/1 when the $3750 discount was first offered. At the time, the delivery window was Dec-Mar, and we had been planning on waiting until it ticked over to January. We didn't know how long it would take to get the car. We didn't know if MY would get the full $7500 credit in January due to battery sourcing issues. We also didn't know if we would even be eligible for the credit due to a variable income. So we decided to order in early December to get a shot at a guaranteed half-credit, and lo and behold we got a VIN number an hour later. We could have gotten lucky had our car come 3 weeks later, but it's really hard to time, and we're comfortable that we made the best decision with the information we had at the time.

Last edited:
I got delivery on 12/14 and then they rolled out 10k supercharger credits the next day and now an additional $3750 off ..wtf
Ouch Bro, that's terrible, As I said on another post, the incentive isn't to make anyone happy it's just to push as many cars out for Q4 report. If you follow the Tesla Stock they are on a pretty strong bear run right now, they need all the numbers they can get and are offering even more money so people take them ASAP.

Which service center did you go to? I'm in the DC area as well.

Tesla was likely reacting to the Treasury Department statement from Dec 19th, which stated they would not be releasing their guidance in the IRA credit until March (was supposed to happen by Dec 31).
The statement says this means the $7,500 credit based on pack size would stay in effect Jan 1 rather than the $3,750 components (which Tesla likely qualifies for) and $3,750 for cell critical minerals (which Tesla likely doesn't qualify for).

So (depending on income and model), people would get a $7,500 tax credit instead of $3,750 off the price by delaying pickup 2 weeks. Thus, the increase to $7,500 off (which is a better deal than the IRA credit due to sales tax and has no income or MSRP limits).

Reactions: android04
Which service center did you go to? I'm in the DC area as well.
Rockville has been outstanding. I've used them 3x
  1. Garage door opener installation. The manager noticed my car was brand new but 30-day tags expired when I dropped off the car. Asked about my permanent plates, and told him I never got them in the mail and hadn't heard anything. When I picked up the car later that day he had issued me another set of 30 days tags.. and promised I'd get my permanent tags soon. They showed up about 2 weeks later!
  2. Driver's window replacement. I may or may not have tried aftermarket puddle lights on my car. Automatic window indexing stopped working and upon shutting the door the glass cracked. Put in a service ticket for mobile tech to replace the window and damaged trim. When the tech came to fix the issue he did check puddle lights and found an issue with them disconnecting. Replaced puddle light, window, and door trim for $0.00. I figured this would be a thousand dollar plus repair but was shocked at the invoice and free repair.
  3. The car stopped checking for updates/wifi. Put in a ticket with service. They got back to me the same day to say they remotely checked the logs on my car and it was indeed still checking for updates and that wifi was connecting.. it just wasn't showing the status on the screen. Said it was a known problem with my current software and that the next update should fix it. Sure enough, the next update came and the problem was solved.
They have since opened two new service centers. Arlington, VA and Silver Spring, MD. But with Rockville giving me 11/10 service.. Im not sure I would bother going to Arlington or Silver Spring.. even though they are significantly closer.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae