Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn off emergency braking when rolling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few updates now if I have the seatbelt off and I roll slow speed coming to a stop the car just slams on the brakes and puts the car in park…

I can’t even park the car with the seatbelt off anyone know how to turn it off if possible?

Car thinks it’s rolling away and puts it in park lol

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
You can drive without the seatbelt as much as you like, but if you’re going slow and get out of the seat, it will shift into park.

Nothing has recently changed with this feature as far as I know, so if yours is going into Park while you’re properly seated, it may be that your seat sensor has failed.

Yeah I’m still in my seat it was fine before last 2 updates or so

Yeah I’m still in my seat it was fine before last 2 updates or so
I have had the EXACT same experience. Definite change over last few months updates. And if you’re rolling trying to buckle up, WHAM, it thows it into park nearly causing an accident.

For the peanut gallery, thanks. I’ve been driving at a high level for over 15 years so I don’t need your safety process. I’m quite comfortable in mine and Tesla at minimum should allow this default to be turned off.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I guess we are confused. I also occasionally put my seatbelt on as I am rolling through the parking lot, and have never had any issues.

Do you so regularly need to move your car with the seatbelt off and the door open to the point that this feature is now a significant inconvenience? Or could you spend an extra few seconds closing the door and buckling the belt and go about your day?

Reactions: rpiotro
I guess we are confused. I also occasionally put my seatbelt on as I am rolling through the parking lot, and have never had any issues.

Do you so regularly need to move your car with the seatbelt off and the door open to the point that this feature is now a significant inconvenience? Or could you spend an extra few seconds closing the door and buckling the belt and go about your day?
No sorry I drive doorless and when I arrive home and back into my driveway I make sure I stop the car fully unbuckle my belt and open the doors fully ajar so they can smash into my garage

You can drive without the seatbelt as much as you like, but if you’re going slow and get out of the seat, it will shift into park.

Nothing has recently changed with this feature as far as I know, so if yours is going into Park while you’re properly seated, it may be that your seat sensor has failed.
I had a bad seat sensor. After stopping at the mailbox on my way home, I wouldn't bother with my seatbelt, but there's a stop sign between my mailbox and my house. The car would sometimes go into Park when I stopped, and I'd have to enter my pin and shift into D again. I'd have the same problem if I came to a stop while pulling into my garage.

Wearing my seatbelt was the workaround until it got fixed.

And if you're wondering why this behavior is not a user option, it's because of liability.

Car puts itself into park at 3 MPH when the driver doesn't have a seatbelt on? Minor annoyance for the driver.

Car doesn't put itself into park when you get out and it rolls into the street and kills someone? Major lawsuit for the Manufacturer. It's happened already with Mercedes and their sprinters.

From a human factors standpoint, it also needs to work this way on a Tesla. Without the whole start the engine, put it in gear, put it in park, stop the engine routine, Tesla was able to make the car just work with the only action being putting it in drive, which can be pretty magical. When done, you can just undo the seatbelt, open the door, and get out. As long as any of your cars allow the auto park behavior, having some of your cars do this and some not is just really bad design. A driver could be used to the auto park behavior and then drive a car that has this turned off and the car would creep away as they get out. You need consistency in behavior in your products, especially around automation like this.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and CyberGus
I had a bad seat sensor. After stopping at the mailbox on my way home, I wouldn't bother with my seatbelt, but there's a stop sign between my mailbox and my house. The car would sometimes go into Park when I stopped, and I'd have to enter my pin and shift into D again. I'd have the same problem if I came to a stop while pulling into my garage.

Wearing my seatbelt was the workaround until it got fixed.
Did you have any errors show up that the seat sensor had failed? I mean my auto pilot works everything works it doesn’t show up red in the seating chart icon, no error messages about failed sensor

And if you're wondering why this behavior is not a user option, it's because of liability.

Car puts itself into park at 3 MPH when the driver doesn't have a seatbelt on? Minor annoyance for the driver.

Car doesn't put itself into park when you get out and it rolls into the street and kills someone? Major lawsuit for the Manufacturer. It's happened already with Mercedes and their sprinters.

From a human factors standpoint, it also needs to work this way on a Tesla. Without the whole start the engine, put it in gear, put it in park, stop the engine routine, Tesla was able to make the car just work with the only action being putting it in drive, which can be pretty magical. When done, you can just undo the seatbelt, open the door, and get out. As long as any of your cars allow the auto park behavior, having some of your cars do this and some not is just really bad design. A driver could be used to the auto park behavior and then drive a car that has this turned off and the car would creep away as they get out. You need consistency in behavior in your products, especially around automation like this.
I mean it’s fine when nobody is in the car I think that’s the intent of these technologies when car rolls away with no one in it.

If you’re in the car door closed rolling away auto stop should be disabled.

I’d rather have auto stop when I’m about to back into a wall lol

I mean it’s fine when nobody is in the car I think that’s the intent of these technologies when car rolls away with no one in it.

If you’re in the car door closed rolling away auto stop should be disabled.

The OP was talking about having no seat belt AND the door open. I would expect the car is doing this to avoid someone accidentally falling out while trying to move the car, or injuring their leg by accidentally pushing the pedal with one leg out.

I am still having a hard time understanding why the OP’s behavior is necessary.

The OP was talking about having no seat belt AND the door open. I would expect the car is doing this to avoid someone accidentally falling out while trying to move the car, or injuring their leg by accidentally pushing the pedal with one leg out.

I am still having a hard time understanding why the OP’s behavior is necessary.
I am OP go read OP take your meds sir, what are you even talking about? I just said seat belt off never were doors mentioned.

You must be confusing this thread for another lol