Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deliveries in CA after Stay at Home order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone taken delivery in CA since the Stay at Home order went into effect? I'm scheduled for tomorrow (Mar 22) in Carlsbad and so far they tell me we're still on... If anyone else has done it since the lock down went into effect I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Thanks!

Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
Seems like nobody is observing the Shelter in Place order where I live (SoCal). I went to get coffee this morning and was shocked at how much traffic there was. Yesterday morning when I drove to work (I work in Farming, so .. no work stoppage), the traffic was no lighter, I saw quite a number of different types of work trucks either on the road or filling up at gas stations, and several construction areas running apparently full workforce.

With that many people seemingly ignoring the directive, who is going to enforce it? Prob a few Tesla deliveries throughout a given day might not get noticed by teh few who might be able to do any enforcement (if they are even trying to).

It looks like transportation is still on the list of essentials, so it is technically ok I believe. Not sure about southern california, but up in the bay area, there are very few cars on the roads, and crowds at all the regional parks and trails haha.

I got 2 conflicting answers when asked local tesla

one said they are doing deliveries at the dealership and handing the keys out through the a window, while the other said they will deliver to your home. So idk.

My delivery is scheduled for 3/28, who knows if that will change

C5608649-0851-4AA2-B230-270D520BFD1B.jpeg
0E0A1F29-E30A-40F4-853E-DB721AE61F96.jpeg
I was all excited, was offered for direct delivery for Today. Got a call this morning that there was a paint issue and deliver is delayed. They told me yesterday that it had been cleared for delivery. Bummed. Site now says I am scheduled for 28th.
I did see this truck with LR AWDs today in a parking lot in Marin City. The blue one looks like my config.

Attachments

• FC76D3E0-5F5F-43EA-A38B-188015820C55.jpeg
    FC76D3E0-5F5F-43EA-A38B-188015820C55.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 49
I think taking delivery of a car is essential business. You need car to shop for grocery, go to the doctor, go to the laundromat, etc....

Just don't go to a park and talk to you friend there. My mom told me her friend's sister got a $400 ticket. I thought they were not supposed to actually enforce the stay at home order....

Exactly, why take delivery (and start paying interest possibly) on a car you can't drive ?

Because your stuck with a car that will sit on a lot for 2 months unless you take it now. Im in the same boat in NY, and can literally see my car sitting at the dealer and I cant pick it up. If I won't get it in the next week or two considering differing my order and waiting for a new vin to be assigned for when they resume production.

Do you expect to pay MSRP on a car that has been sitting at a dealership for two months?

Exactly, why take delivery (and start paying interest possibly) on a car you can't drive ?
Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of reasons people need to drive in the Bay Area. Grocery delivery websites are backed up indefinitely, families still need supplies, people who are considered essential still need to get around. Infrastructure needs to be maintained, health care workers need to get to work, pharmaceutical employees need to do research, banks and local/state/federal government offices need to continue to run. People need cars.

This is from Tesla's investor news release published on their site from March 19 as it pertains to deliveries.

"In many locations, we are in the process of implementing “touchless deliveries” so customers can continue to take delivery of their vehicle in a seamless and safe way. Due to the unique over-the-air connectivity of our vehicles, customers are able to unlock their new cars at a delivery parking lot via the Tesla App, sign any remaining relevant paperwork that has been placed in their car, and return that paperwork to an on-site drop-off location prior to leaving. This method provides additional convenience and comfort. "

It's going to depend on the location still but I know of a TMC member on here who just got his MP3. He's an East Bay owner now. There are other reports under the Model 3 forum with people getting their cars and how it was being handled at their delivery location.

Yes, automobile manufacturing is considered a critical infrastructure sector. It's on the list of industries Gov. Newsom order had linked to when he announced the recent 3/19 State shutdown proclamation.

What is the point in forcing deliveries given the Stay-At-Home order? Can't wait a few more days or weeks to pick up the Model Y?

Because your stuck with a car that will sit on a lot for 2 months unless you take it now. Im in the same boat in NY, and can literally see my car sitting at the dealer and I cant pick it up. If I won't get it in the next week or two considering differing my order and waiting for a new vin to be assigned for when they resume production.

Do you expect to pay MSRP on a car that has been sitting at a dealership for two months?

I wouldn't count on it sitting on the lot for 2 months. If you don't take your car I believe as in the past with other vehicles that people weren't able to pick up at time of delivery that it will be unlinked to you and put into Inventory and sold to anyone looking for it.

Also the delivery centers I've seen don't have much extra room to park cars for people coming to look at a Tesla purchase let alone have room to store weeks of deliveries of cars. They are going to be sold and if not taken assigned to the next person able to take delivery.

Reactions: mgraff

People do that ALL the time. Most people have no idea how long a car has actually been sitting on the lot when they buy off a car lot.

On the other end of the country, New York State is under the same type of essential/non essential business lock down thing. My car was supposed to hit Mt Kisco NY delivery center Friday. At 4:50pm, it was still not there. I told the guy I talked to I would prefer a home delivery:

A: I live 6.5hrs from Mt Kisco
B: Westchester area has like the highest amount of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country. Don’t really want me and my wife to head down there to pick up a car and maybe a deadly virus.

They said they understand, and could do a home delivery, but I’ve yet to hear anything confirming this via phone, text or email. I’m sure they are slammed, but so far this buying experience has been less than pleasurable.