Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery at HQ - TAX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Hi,

I am a current Tesla owner in SoCal and plan to purchase a regular Model 3 with the premium package. My delivery estimate is December to February. I hope to take delivery by the end of the year so I could apply the $7500 TAX deduction for next year.

From my understanding delivery at HQ will be sooner, however is it true that my sales TAX rate will be higher compared to delivery in SoCal (Costa Mesa SC)?

Thanks

That's a good question - what is sales tax in Costa Mesa vs Fremont?

Found this online on the LATimes:

"
There's no advantage, in terms of sales tax, on where you go to buy a car. An Orange County resident who buys a car in Santa Monica will stay pay the Orange County sales tax rate. The sales tax rate is charged based on where the car will be registered. Find your sales tax rate here: maps.gis.ca.gov/boe/TaxRates/
"

Making sense of California's sales tax

Just want to confirm accuracy

in most places in the US the taxes are applied by where the car is registered, so regardless of the delivery point the taxes applied will be applied at the rate of where the car is registered.
I registered my first tesla in NJ which doesn't a sales tax on EVs, however tesla mandated that the car be delivered in NJ for me to register it there.