Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Delay - 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These posts of people finally going into production and so far there is a decent disconnect between production and delivery indicates that they shot out to a very conservative delivery date "just in case" since they didn't want more disappointment. Just a guess, but that is what it seems and I am happy for those whose cars are finally going into production!

To directly answer your inquiry radrick, no. It really shouldn't take that long to get to you. You will most likely get an update once it gets put on a truck with a new target date. Something I found out with my car, if you go into My Tesla and on your delivery date and time and click the edit button, check out the date and tines listed and see if anything sooner is listed there. This changed during my process twice because I was staying way ahead of my DS on keeping myself up to date. He would have contacted me eventually I just jumped the gun a bit.

Anyway, congrats on getting into production hopefully this trend continues!

Thank you chickensevil for the edit tip. Still says 8 am Sept 18 for delivery, but I will check it (frequently) for myself & this thread and update if it changes.

Isnetman - I hope you get delivery soon & wish my car could hitch a ride on your hopefully early truck. If you ever make it up to Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood, I'll cover lunch (or dinner). Heck if any of you all make it here, I'm buying!

Thank you chickensevil for the edit tip. Still says 8 am Sept 18 for delivery, but I will check it (frequently) for myself & this thread and update if it changes.

Isnetman - I hope you get delivery soon & wish my car could hitch a ride on your hopefully early truck. If you ever make it up to Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood, I'll cover lunch (or dinner). Heck if any of you all make it here, I'm buying!

Note this only worked as of March... I cannot confirm that this still works, but I don't see why it wouldn't. But hey, gives you one extra step to preoccupy your time as you refresh the page CONSTANTLY! :D

I might have broke my F5 key while I was waiting for my car... heh.

I visited the Fremont factory yesterday - while I cannot give information like 'how many cars were under production or rolling off the line while you were watching' (signed NDA), I can confirm that the lines are up and running, with no areas shielded from my view, etc. It's been quite a transformation in a very short time. Instead of car bodies and subassemblies moving from station to station on the ground, they now move about on a second level, positioned above at the next station. Just that alone is a huge improvement , putting a lot of stations closer together (and communication), clearing congestion, and lessening possibility of accidents from the interaction of people movement and parts movement. The flow is improved, also - the flow from receiving/inspection/warehouse/floor is much more linear (translate = efficent). Manufacturing engineers are (appropriately) co-located on the floor (an additional bullpen is out there now). Do I believe they are positioned to be able to double production, based on what I saw? Yes.

On side note, music was playing at different stations, equipment has been named by operators after diff comic book characters (Iceman, Wolverine, etc.). Break areas are interspersed within the production area, with greenery and such around. Well lit, not the dark dingy production lines of old. While waiting outside for a charge to finish on my Roadster (put me in the employee lot), people were upbeat coming and going.

While there are no Model X under production, nor Model X parts on the floor (really, folks - it is not in production - Alpha parts are traditionally custom made off-site), I can say (without violating NDA) that a new pit is in the stamping area in anticipation of new dies being cut for body panels. Overall manufacturing process appears to be set up to handle different configurations of Model S and Model X flowing through the same line.

While mine was a one-off tour, I did see regularly scheduled tours happening. So go see for yourself!

Are there standard sequential phrases used on the Dashboard to describe the progress of the car's life cycle?

That is, I started with "Sourcing Parts". Now I'm "In Production".

Is Assembly Complete next? Q/A in progress? Shipping? Delivery?

@Bonnie thank you for the read out. Nothing beats boots on the ground. Two questions for you:
1- Did you depart Tesla more optimistic than when you arrived?
2- Overall could you comment on employee moral and attitude. We took the original factory tour pre production. At that time moral was sky high and each employee I talked to had that Tesla grin knowing the were a part of something very special. The attitudes were upbeat but many felt worn out due to first factory tour and push to go live.

Are there standard sequential phrases used on the Dashboard to describe the progress of the car's life cycle?

That is, I started with "Sourcing Parts". Now I'm "In Production".

Is Assembly Complete next? Q/A in progress? Shipping? Delivery?

Yes, "Sourcing Parts", "In Production", "Production Complete" (says preparing your car for shipment or some such), I believe (don't quote me) there is an "In transit" and then I think "Delivered"... I hope I didn't forget something. Something I have seen happen between Production Complete and In Transit is that something didn't check out correctly after it came off the line and they had to fix something. This could be any type of defect they deem hold worthy and could cause a delay... But I don't think this is common at all.

- - - Updated - - -

While mine was a one-off tour, I did see regularly scheduled tours happening. So go see for yourself!

I wish I could... :( Maybe some day. I would love is someone could sneak some photos or video (I know, won't happen) but seriously, I would love some public release photography of the new layout.

I wish I could... :( Maybe some day. I would love is someone could sneak some photos or video (I know, won't happen) but seriously, I would love some public release photography of the new layout.

I'm sure they'll release some video of the plant at some point soon (soon = this year). They've had video of the old setup out there for a long time. No reason not to update it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Bonnie thank you for the read out. Nothing beats boots on the ground. Two questions for you:
1- Did you depart Tesla more optimistic than when you arrived?
2- Overall could you comment on employee moral and attitude. We took the original factory tour pre production. At that time moral was sky high and each employee I talked to had that Tesla grin knowing the were a part of something very special. The attitudes were upbeat but many felt worn out due to first factory tour and push to go live.

I departed Tesla with my initial understanding from different sources validated - the lines are up and running, it is a far more efficient layout, it is establishing the groundwork for future production expansion.

I'm in touch with Tesla employees on a regular basis, at a variety of levels within the company. (I'll decline to give specific jobs, to leave them with some privacy ... but from 'on the floor' to senior exec management and a number in between.) The tour doesn't really give you a chance to interact with employees, but my day-to-day interactions are enough to tell the story. People are continuing to work very hard, but they are all committed to a shared vision. It's something I've seen many companies try to make happen, but it's the first time in my career I've actually witnessed it in action (and have watched it for more than a few years). So in answer to your question, yes, moral is still high & if possible, commitment is even higher than it was prior to pre-production. I could give numerous examples of 'above and beyond' including seeing Fremont Service working weekend before last, not because of service issues, but because they were helping out manufacturing to keep numbers up. And people were laughing, friendly, and engaged ... and getting cars out the door. They all know they're part of something big. I'm glad to have a front-row seat.

Well I had the official "Yes you're delayed two weeks" conversation with my DS, with 26-september as my official new delivery date. *But*, he did say that production was definitely picking up the pace and the actual delay could be as little as a few days from my original 12-september. He anticipates Hobbes will be going into production the week of September 8th, although he was careful not to make any promises. I'm financing through them and he also said they'll do their best to avoid me having to re-apply if we go a few days over the 30.

My vacation week off is September 29th through October 3rd, so I'll still be in good shape if they can make the 26th. I'm just doing a staycation with lots of area driving and a few overnight trips planned (e.g. p-town and sampling the new Sagamore Bridge supercharger!) so while of course a bit disappointed I'm feeling upbeat overall and ready to keep myself distracted in the meantime. Just a few more weeks!