Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Delay - 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the dreaded delay call from the DS today. Confirmed 6/16 (VIN: 52514), original delivery was Sept. 19 and now it's pushed back a week to Sept. 26. I'm picking up in Austin and was going to do it on the return from a work trip (i.e. didn't have to pay for the flight to Austin! :) ). Now I'll have to pay for my own trip to Austin. Maybe I'll do a trade with Autonation and just drive my own car down. I purposefully waited a while before submitting for a quote from them, now I'm glad I did. One day additional delay and I'll have to do it again. Haven't started the loan process yet, though, and now I'm thinking I might wait another week just in case.

Just an update. Went into production today!

Confirmed: June 16
Original Delivery Date: Sept. 19
Current Delivery Date: Sept. 23 (but really not picking up until Sept. 26 so I think the DS built in some cushion to make sure it made it to Austin before I do)
In Production: Sept. 12

So my status has remained at Production Complete - preparing for pickup or delivery. Being that I am in Connecticut and production is in California, shouldn't the status be In Transit by now given that my scheduled pickup date is this Friday at 4pm?

It's not clear to me that the dashboard updates right away with your status, so it's possible that it's already on the way, and there is just a lag before getting the update to the website. Worst case scenario, you might have a bit of delay, but you won't know for certain until you're driving away from the SC.

So my status has remained at Production Complete - preparing for pickup or delivery. Being that I am in Connecticut and production is in California, shouldn't the status be In Transit by now given that my scheduled pickup date is this Friday at 4pm?

My status is still at that too, and has been since the 10th, yet in a conversation on Saturday my DS mentioned mine was indeed already in transit, so you can't judge based on that alone. I'm also due for Friday delivery, though no exact time set yet. Supposedly there's still a slim chance I could get it Thursday, but I'm assuming Friday at this point.

Well just as seanahan indicated, my dashboard is not yet updated but my DS just sent a note indicating the vehicle is in fact in transit. He said I could keep my delivery date of Sept 19th.

However, he also indicated that they were arranging a delivery event for Sunday the 21st and wanted to know if I'd like to wait and be a part of this. I've jokingly asked if Elon is coming to hand me the fob.

Well just as seanahan indicated, my dashboard is not yet updated but my DS just sent a note indicating the vehicle is in fact in transit. He said I could keep my delivery date of Sept 19th.

However, he also indicated that they were arranging a delivery event for Sunday the 21st and wanted to know if I'd like to wait and be a part of this. I've jokingly asked if Elon is coming to hand me the fob. 
Thanks for posting this. I'm still "in production" since 9/5. It's reassuring to hear about the extra delivery event on 9/21 in CT as I am scheduled for 9/24. (I would gladly take 9/21)

VIN 50816. Original date of 9-12 has been pushed to 9-26. Not totally sure how firm that is. Worked well for me actually, though it's killing me. I live near the factory, so no shipping lead time. Getting the P85+, so I am supposedly a priority delivery, but I placed the order 6-26. Gone are the days of the 30 day turnaround for fancy models! But, as a stockholder, I'm THRILLED that they are so busy. That stock is paying for the beauty!

since you live near the factory, curious to know if they are running production on Saturday and Sunday. Others have said Saturday.
If you or others have time, swing by the factory on sat and see how full the lot is. Bonus question, morning vs evening data points. Both implies 2 shifts.

I might have misspoke way back when I said that there is an in transit status... It has been a while since I went through all of this, your DS would certainly be a bit more trustworthy at this point than a status on a website.

Also Elon said today that they are on track for meeting the 7800 guidance for the quarter so everyone should be getting there cars very soon!

Shelbri,

I was supposed to pick mine up in Milford tomorrow but when I called my DS yesterday, he said it was on a truck in NV. I can't believe they would have multiple trucks coming into CT just days apart. I guess they could of dropped off cars along the way in and around the Northeast. Oh well.

No, right now scheduled date is up in the air. I am thinking Mon or Tuesday, don't really know. I do know that it seems like I have to be the one initiating contact with the DS though. Maybe I should call there again tomorrow to get an update.

However, he also indicated that they were arranging a delivery event for Sunday the 21st and wanted to know if I'd like to wait and be a part of this. I've jokingly asked if Elon is coming to hand me the fob.
Is this event at mount kisco? I'm scheduled for this Saturday hopefully if all paperwork is on order tomorrow.

Not sure if they are planning one there too. To be honest it didn't sound like much of an event. I asked how long with start and end times and was told I'd be out in an hour. I think they are just trying to group deliveries to meet qtr end push. Good luck with the pick up.

Hi All,

Been following this forum for about a week and thought I'd chime in with my experience so far and seek some advice.

Confirmed 5/27/14.
VIN 50357.

S85/metallic gray/black textile seats/tech pack/air suspension/parking sensors

My original, tentative, delivery date was 9/4/14. That got delayed of course, and was tentatively pushed to the week of 9/15. And now it sits at the weekend of 9/26, possibly. My vehicle has been sitting in the production queue for about 2 weeks, probably longer. The fog of waiting has disrupted my sense of time. For the most part, 4 months is understandable, though agonizing. If everyone were going through the same thing, I got no issues.

But here's the kicker:
My friend confirmed his 6/18/14, and got assigned a VIN just shy of 53000. I don't know his exact package except for the details below:
S85/metallic gray/tech pack/normal suspension

And his vehicle entered production today. And we're both picking up in the same location at the Centinela service center here in West Los Angeles.

Does this seem peculiar to anyone else? He confirmed a full 3 weeks after me and has beat mine to production?

The going theory is that the air suspension may be delaying my production. My DS has no explanation when given these details, but has stated she will look into what is going on. What do you guys think?

Hi All,

Been following this forum for about a week and thought I'd chime in with my experience so far and seek some advice.

Confirmed 5/27/14.
VIN 50357.

S85/metallic gray/black textile seats/tech pack/air suspension/parking sensors

My original, tentative, delivery date was 9/4/14. That got delayed of course, and was tentatively pushed to the week of 9/15. And now it sits at the weekend of 9/26, possibly. My vehicle has been sitting in the production queue for about 2 weeks, probably longer. The fog of waiting has disrupted my sense of time. For the most part, 4 months is understandable, though agonizing. If everyone were going through the same thing, I got no issues.

But here's the kicker:
My friend confirmed his 6/18/14, and got assigned a VIN just shy of 53000. I don't know his exact package except for the details below:
S85/metallic gray/tech pack/normal suspension

And his vehicle entered production today. And we're both picking up in the same location at the Centinela service center here in West Los Angeles.

Does this seem peculiar to anyone else? He confirmed a full 3 weeks after me and has beat mine to production?

The going theory is that the air suspension may be delaying my production. My DS has no explanation when given these details, but has stated she will look into what is going on. What do you guys think?

I'm the friend here, vin 52917... Only difference is i have tan leather and coils... Easiest explanation is the parts, whether they be the cloth seats or air suspension... Pretty strange, though... We're seeing vins all over the map getting built and some others still in queue...

I'm the friend here, vin 52917... Only difference is i have tan leather and coils... Easiest explanation is the parts, whether they be the cloth seats or air suspension... Pretty strange, though... We're seeing vins all over the map getting built and some others still in queue...

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone else with air suspension, ordering around my timeframe is experiencing this kind of production delay. Be nice to pin it down to one thing and quantify the excess amount of time a specific option might add to production. With nearly all things being equal, this is as good a case as any to use as point of reference for future buyers.