Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery delay - for Tempest wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I'm sorry to make my first post on this forum a bitch-fest, but here goes:

- My car has arrived with silver wheels (as ordered on January 17th), delivery scheduled for tomorrow.
-A delivery guy calls, says there's a delay. Waiting to swap out the silvers for Tempests
- WHAT??

I get a call this morning, and the guy says there's a delay while we wait for a shipment of Tempest wheels. But I ordered 19" silvers, I say. Yes, he says, but we've received a directive to install Tempest's. Wait, I say, a little confused, which wheels are on the car now? He says, could you hold for a moment while I check? A minute later, he comes back on and says, your car has the silver wheels on it now, but we need to swap them out for Tempests. They're scheduled to arrive March 7th.

I do NOT want the Tempest wheels but I'm making an effort to stay cool. The guy is really nice and I ask if he sees the absurdity in this. In a roundabout way he agrees and thanks me for my understanding. Well, no, I don't understand.

Has anyone experienced this? Since I have zero experience in dealing with Tesla, any suggestions on the best way to proceed? Thanks in advance!

The move to Tempest Wheels has my order on hold. Not only do I not understand what a Tempest is, A wheel or a hubcap, I plain do not like the looks. Why order a $100K + with ugly hub caps. I have looked every where on web for a detailed photo what a Tempest wheel is with no luck. Doh

M

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 11.13.58 AM.png

I can understand the disruption in the supply chain due to mid-stream changes like this, but it appears that Tesla will have stacks of SlipStream pull offs when this transition is all said and done. Perhaps it is regulatory - maybe the 390 mile EPA rating requires the Tempests, at least from a paperwork perspective.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Confirmed! It's a "Moroney sticker" issue. I went to the store and spoke with the delivery manager. He says the soon-to-be-mine Model S is considered a Long Range Plus, and the 19" silver wheels on it now aren't standard or optional on the LRP. So as I undertand it, they'd be non compliant to sell it in the present configuration. A nuance perhaps, but the manager said it took them 2 years to get a "dealers" license for that location and they don't want any problems. I know there's open hostility against Tesla among the politically powerful auto dealers in North Carolina.

There may be workaround at delivery time two weeks from now, we'll see.

The move to Tempest Wheels has my order on hold. Not only do I not understand what a Tempest is, A wheel or a hubcap, I plain do not like the looks. Why order a $100K + with ugly hub caps. I have looked every where on web for a detailed photo what a Tempest wheel is with no luck. Doh

M

View attachment 514327

The enlarged photo, when you squint real hard, sorta kinda seems to show the brakes...perhaps they are, indeed, real wheels? *shrug*

I'm in the same boat. I ordered a Tesla Model S Long Range. However, I ordered the 19" Sonic Carbon Slipstream wheels. I was told my order was put on hold until after the 7th because they legally had to install the Long Range Plus update before they could deliver it.

This doesn't make much more sense than your situation. I'm not sure a software update should hold up the whole car delivery, but... Who knows, really. Elon Musk said "All S and X vehicles made in the past few months will get the update for free," so at worst I could just bring it back to the service center if it's really such a major update that can't be done by the user.

I went to check if my MVPA had changed to state LR+ or anything last night and to my surprise, it had my delivery date of Feb 27th. Just called the store to see if that was true or some glitch - definitely reported to be a glitch of some kind. They said they're definitely not to release any cars before March 7th. On the plus side, they confirmed the Tempest wheels are a choice and that I can keep whatever was ordered on the car. I'd assume it's not a choice only if the car hadn't shipped yet by the time the changeover was made at the factory.

Ok, I'm happy now. The store manager just called with good news. They will deliver my MS with the silver 19" wheels that I ordered, and the next update will confirm it's a Long Range Plus. Due to my schedule the delivery is set for Thursday March 5th! My thanks to all who replied to my post.