Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today - Rear Driver Panel Different Shade of White!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how they let this one slip through, went to pickup my car today and one of the doors is a slightly different color, difficult to see in pics. Very dissapointed.

IMG_0488.JPEG
IMG_0489.JPEG
IMG_0490.JPEG

This is normal for the plastic bumpers but should never happen for a metal panel...WTF?...how did that pass inspection?....probably because Tesla doesn't inspect anything. :rolleyes:

I'd guess that door got damaged and Tesla swapped it for one that was painted on a different day?? Maybe painted at the other factory?? Missed some of the multi coats the white pearl is supposed to get? Or did a body shop paint that and screwed up the match big time (which I'd guess is a tough match for Pearl White if not being done at the factory)?

It would be telling to put a paint meter on that panel compared to the others to see what is up.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Yikes-- Most of the time when people complain about paint problems on this forum I can't figure out what it is that they are seeing. This sticks out like a sore thumb! What paint manufacturer allows that much variation across lots? (BM or Sherwin Williams would go out of business if they could't do better than that.)

Once we needed replacement tile for a kitchen project, went to American Olean, they still made the same tile, and 40 years later the color and sheen match was perfect-- that's consistency.

Really curious... Fremont or Austin? Supposedly Austin has the better paint shop?
Freemont

That sticks out like a sore thumb. Did you reject it or set Service Center appointment to fix it?
I accepted it, they setup an appt to repaint the door and color match etc for next week. Didn't want to potentially screw up my tax credit and also was one of the last ones to get a 3% rate from tower fcu so I didn't want to go through that mess again either.

Off topic, why are the wheel covers missing on the cars?

They were literally missing on all the cars set for delivery, I guess they couldn't find them, they setup a service appointment to get me new ones, then ended up "finding them in the back". Overall very disappointed in the Tesla experience. I'm now also experiencing my audio only working intermittently.