Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had them email me listing all the issues that will be on due bill. I sat with them reviewing the email and made sure I received it before leaving the delivery center. I was very professional about it and they understood. I would return if there was no way to trace back proof if all the issues was documented. Not going to take their word for it. I don't think text messages will be good enough. They did it for me from the San Diego delivery center, why couldn't they do it where you are at? What are they afraid of? They should be doing their best for you to be comfortable with keeping the car to get it repaired past the 7 days return policy.

What can I do? She said she couldn't email anything or do a Due Bill. She said only text. Her summary hits on some of the points, but not everything. I asked her to enumerate them and no response. This is par for the course at the Denver delivery center in my several times interacting with them.

They have the car in their possession within the 72 hours to get paint issues fixed. If it still has any when they are done, it is because they were there when I left it with 25 miles on the ODO. Basically, they had chain of custody.

Whatever. I bet they will hedge on fixing, I will tell them to keep it, and accept my Tesla purchase ban. Spending some half mil over the years with Tesla doesn't mean much these days. In a year, we will have VW, Nissan, Chevy, and Volvo out with small SUVs. Perhaps my wife will want one of those. Without any real competition, Tesla is pretty arrogant.

What can I do? She said she couldn't email anything or do a Due Bill. She said only text. Her summary hits on some of the points, but not everything. I asked her to enumerate them and no response. This is par for the course at the Denver delivery center in my several times interacting with them.

They have the car in their possession within the 72 hours to get paint issues fixed. If it still has any when they are done, it is because they were there when I left it with 25 miles on the ODO. Basically, they had chain of custody.

Whatever. I bet they will hedge on fixing, I will tell them to keep it, and accept my Tesla purchase ban. Spending some half mil over the years with Tesla doesn't mean much these days. In a year, we will have VW, Nissan, Chevy, and Volvo out with small SUVs. Perhaps my wife will want one of those. Without any real competition, Tesla is pretty arrogant.

Whatever. I bet they will hedge on fixing, I will tell them to keep it, and accept my Tesla purchase ban.

Don't expect to be able to return it if it takes them past Thursday to make the repairs and you still aren't happy. (Unless of course you have it in writing that they are extending your 7-day return window.)

And it isn't a "Tesla purchase ban", it is just a ban of purchasing the same model/trim. So you could still purchase a Model S, Model X, or Model 3. (And depending on how they interrupt the model/trim ban you could change the Model Y to/from the Performance trim.)

Don't expect to be able to return it if it takes them past Thursday to make the repairs and you still aren't happy. (Unless of course you have it in writing that they are extending your 7-day return window.)

And it isn't a "Tesla purchase ban", it is just a ban of purchasing the same model/trim. So you could still purchase a Model S, Model X, or Model 3. (And depending on how they interrupt the model/trim ban you could change the Model Y to/from the Performance trim.)

If they enumerate the fixes they are doing in writing and it is everything, I am fine trusting that they will. I can complain about shoddy work if it doesn't come back right. On what planet will they not document things so you can tick them off the list. Bizarre. King Elon will make that the first edict when he colonizes Mars . . . no documentation ever!

I personally will never buy a Tesla again, but my wife might do a Roadster after getting a Model Y. I think the purchase ban was BS. They said it would be on the return declaration agreement, but wasn't. Just sleazy sales pressure as I know others that have returned their car and Tesla happily found them another at the same price.

Who has taken delivery within the last couple of weeks without paint issues? Any positive news along that front? I just received my VIN today and I'm hesitant about going through with it because of the flaws I'm reading about. Last five digits of VIN is 110XX with delivery at Costa Mesa, CA. Will they allow me to drive down there to check out the car before I go any further without submitting payment in advance?

One thing the Ops Manager admitted is that the white pearl paint only gets one coat, but the other colors get two. She explained that was why the paint was so thin. I wish they had advertised that as I might have paid for better paint. I figured it was just a color thing.

I thought they installed a new paint booth in Fremont during the shutdown. I would wait for that to happen unless you really need a new car.

I personally will never buy a Tesla again

Uh Huh, we've heard that over, and over, again, and again, and again. Yet here we are with you having accepted delivery of another Tesla that has more damage than ones you refused to accept before.

I think the purchase ban was BS. They said it would be on the return declaration agreement, but wasn't.

It is in the return information on their website: Return Policy

Once you have returned your vehicle, the return process is final and may not be cancelled. At this time, we are not able to facilitate vehicle exchanges. If you decide to order another vehicle, you may not order the same trim for a period of 12 months but may order another vehicle in a different trim at any time. However, if you are found to have abused this policy or have acted in bad faith, you will be prohibited from purchasing any vehicle for a period of 12 months.

Uh Huh, we've heard that over, and over, again, and again, and again. Yet here we are with you having accepted delivery of another Tesla that has more damage than ones you refused to accept before.

Personal attacks are the favorite tool for fanbois to try to undermine information they don't like and it has me drinking a shot of Teslaquila, thanks! Since you made this personal, I will defend myself. It seems this is like the 4th time you have attacked me personally in various threads.

I refused the last Model 3 for my son because it had a scratch to bare metal that they said they would not document or ever fix. He loves his Chevy Bolt that I bought the next day with zero defects at delivery and about half the cost after tax rebates and discounts. I have one too and drive it except when I need AWD and my Model 3 will be the last Tesla that I ever purchase. EVER. Tesla makes great cars, I just cannot live without Apple Carplay.

With regard to this car, my wife settled for a Model 3 after no longer needing 3 rows in her Model X. She wanted a SUV again so ordered a Model Y. Rather misogynistic to presume I am making a purchase when the thread makes it clear it was hers. She makes her own choices with her own money. She could care less that I would never purchase a Tesla again. Very offensive to women everywhere to presume her car is somehow mine or my decision.

Enough said. Moderators, you are welcome to remove @MP3Mike's personal attack and my defense of that attack.

Last edited:
Reactions: raggedy
Personal attacks are the favorite tool for fanbois to try to undermine information they don't like and it has me drinking a shot of Teslaquila, thanks! Since you made this personal, I will defend myself. It seems this is like the 4th time you have attacked me personally in various threads.

I'm not attacking, I'm just pointing out that this isn't your first rodeo, and you've said you would never purchase another Tesla product ever again.

With regard to this car, my wife settled for a Model 3 after no longer needing 3 rows in her Model X. She wanted a SUV again so ordered a Model Y. Rather misogynistic to presume I am making a purchase when the thread makes it clear it was hers. She makes her own choices with her own money. She could care less that I would never purchase a Tesla again. Very offensive to women everywhere to presume her car is somehow mine or my decision.

It sure doesn't seem like she was purchasing this Model Y. This is what you said in the first post of the thread:

This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years.

So did she do the inspection and follow through with the purchase? Because it seems like everything you have said was about you accepting and dealing with the Tesla staff...

It sure doesn't seem like she was purchasing this Model Y. This is what you said in the first post of the thread:

So did she do the inspection and follow through with the purchase? Because it seems like everything you have said was about you accepting and dealing with the Tesla staff...

The delivery was supposed to be on Tuesday when my wife was in town, but they pushed it the day before to Thursday when she was travelling. That said, I am the car buff with a bunch of classic cars so have a better eye for things. Also, being a professional negotiator makes this my burden. As you can imagine, dealing with any car vendor is about as pleasurable as swallowing glass.

To presume that one spouse does something for another makes it their decision is a poor assumption in many cases and if because she is female, that is offensive. My wife is very clear about what she wants and has the money to buy whatever car she deserves. A roadster may be her next car. Not my cup of tea, but I have classic cars of greater cost so can't really complain.

As I mentioned above, there have been 8 Tesla deliveries I have handled for my family. 5 of the 8 had bodywork needed. The 7th as you reference had one scratch clear through the paint and I walked from that because Tesla said they would fix it, then didn't. I asked it be documented for later fix so I could take delivery, but they wouldn't and added that they would never fix it. FWIW, the issues with these deliveries gets worse and worse. In my opinion, Tesla quality is trending toward the worse based upon my sampling of eight. I think that is why they are allergic to documentation so there is no record of their horrid fit/finish.

For this 8th delivery attempt, they have said they would document the issues and fix them, which my wife is happy with so long as I advise that it will likely happen. I am travelling starting tomorrow so I left the car with them to see if that is true. If they give more run-around from the body shop, as the negotiator, I will recommend she pass on the car. She said she is fine waiting a year to consider buying a replacement for her Model 3. We will see what she decides to do. I will swallow more glass for her as we do for the ones we love.

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ and DennyL
One thing the Ops Manager admitted is that the white pearl paint only gets one coat, but the other colors get two. She explained that was why the paint was so thin. I wish they had advertised that as I might have paid for better paint. I figured it was just a color thing.

I thought they installed a new paint booth in Fremont during the shutdown. I would wait for that to happen unless you really need a new car.

Call me naive, but the order page says "pearl white MULTI-coat." One would logically think it gets at least 2 coats.

I officially delayed the final payment and delivery today, into August. Got a text telling me they would deliver my MY to my house by June 2-4 and asked me to finalize payment.

Tesla can hang onto my 100 dollars for now (actually I know they will always be able to keep my 100 regardless whether I end up buying the Y or not).

I would wait if given the choice again. These are the first cars coming out of a factory that is just recovering from shutdown with probably a less trained and rusty workforce. Plus, the first few months of production are notoriously buggy for new Tesla models. My wife never really liked the Model 3 and having a car with a tow hitch for my electric motorcycle got us thinking irrationally.

Reactions: teko
There is NO QC, regardless of what Musk said.

The factory knew of the issues when they replaced the doors apparently. The local detailers knew of the issues when they washed the car.

The delivery has a chance of happening and now I pay insurance and loan payments while it gets fixed. Tesla is just as sleazy as any car dealer, but just different.

I am supposed to trust they will fix everything when they wont put anything in writing. Again, a sleazy move.

The factory knew of the issues when they replaced the doors apparently. The local detailers knew of the issues when they washed the car.

The delivery has a chance of happening and now I pay insurance and loan payments while it gets fixed. Tesla is just as sleazy as any car dealer, but just different.

I am supposed to trust they will fix everything when they wont put anything in writing. Again, a sleazy move.
This is the reason I swore not to buy another Tesla.

Musk just wanted to push the cars out in order to meet the numbers and he can care less about his loyal customers.

Reactions: 5JMJ and NY_Rob
I picked up my MY LR white yesterday in central Illinois. It is the same config and similar VIN range (x5566) as the OP. The build date is May 2020.

Having read the original post and those from other commenters on this thread, I was very apprehensive that there would be too many fit and finish issues for me to accept the car. I spent 30 minutes going over a checklist based on all the delivery issues discussed on this forum.

I do have a few minor paint imperfections in identical locations to the OP, but nothing close to the degree as shown in those pics. Tail light alignment is good as well as other panel gaps, including the frunk. My middle rear seat rattles, so I’m not sure they fixed that. There was glass adhesive on the sunroof which I thought at first was a painted over scratch in the glass. (See photo.) It came off with a razor blade, but I can't explain how it got there. The Aero covers strangely did not arrive, so Tesla is mailing them to me. For what it's worth, the rims underneath look far better in person to my eye.

I live 210 miles from the service center with no superchargers in-between so I got a good feel for the car on the way home. This is my first Telsa. For reference, my families’ cars are an Audi Q5 and Toyota Tacoma pickup. We'll sell the Q5 if the Telsa meets our expectations.

Based on first impressions — I had a grin on my face most of the drive home. Acceleration beats my Q5 by some measure. The ride feels stiffer than the Q5. The overall fit-and-finish feels somewhere between my Q5 and Toyota (not cheap, but not quite European either). It was quieter inside at 75mph than I assumed based on other comments, but it is louder than the cabin of the Q5 on the interstate.

Sound system is really good. Headlights are really good. Auto-pilot is amazing; it navigated several curvy interstate exits, as well as a clover-leaf. Regen braking takes getting used to, but I don't think I ever needed the actual break pedal in city driving once I got the hang of it.

I can't see buying another ICE car.

Attachments

• sunroof.jpg
    sunroof.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 99