Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

69A1E137-C0C2-4F9D-AA92-7BAE37DF9E38.jpeg
53F03399-8764-4F3D-9198-A3BDDA5ACC49.jpeg
DCDBFA55-0BAE-4ED7-A5F3-DC8745EA118F.jpeg
1BCD1EA1-7E6F-430A-BCA3-6FCFB338D977.jpeg
BA4D98E6-731F-478D-9DB6-E2362CDAF110.jpeg
8EF89F6D-AC27-4764-A156-70826237F462.jpeg
E6AD882B-FEA2-4FF7-A980-94923573D8DC.jpeg
A8C2A9B7-3F54-490D-ACEA-B451503802A4.jpeg
38DFB990-20BD-46FF-8C88-B51E2AEDF05E.jpeg
ADED0C10-9793-4C93-9088-EED6465121C5.jpeg

What’s the last 5 digits of your vin?

...579x

so will tesla service be fixing all of these issues? any push backs? asking because i'll be picking my white one pretty soon. thanks

He said he would document it in their system later. I have heard that one on prior deliveries with nothing actually happening. He said that I had 3 days to note paint issues so I made a service appointment listing the above defects. It only allows upload of 5 photos so couldn’t document all of the issues. It goes to the body shop on Wednesday.

I don't know what to say, where is their QC team? Did they even inspected each of vehicle before shipped out to ppls?

I think they wash the cars and that is it. There was still that plastic protector on a couple parts that they should remove in prep.

I don’t like the dealer model, but they screen this stuff out, fix it and send the factory a bill. Their sales staff would go ape is something like my car made it to the showroom. Tesla delivery folks work for the factory so are incentivized to sweep issues under the rug.

Okay so you accepted delivery, and intend to see it through the repairs? What was the build date of your car?

I figure the bumper can be replaced or resprayed to fix three of the issues, the scratches in the door jams just need touch up so they don’t rust and the door edges can be touched up too. If it were on an exterior metal panel, that is where I would draw the line.

I think the alignment issues are fixable.

The car was made this month after the factory re-opened.

I'm awaiting my first Tesla, and I'm pretty sure I would have refused this one if presented to me at delivery. Are my expectations unrealistic?

Harder to do in practice. They had my down payment already, my old car was gone yesterday, and two credit pulls already in the process and the next car could have a pricier loan.

I walked from my last Tesla delivery and they were jerks about it. Took nearly a month with calls and escalations to get my down payment back.

This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777

Congrats but sorry you have so many issues.

mind sharing the config?

Reeler, I get it. I don't blame you one bit for taking delivery.

I'm at the "make final payment" stage and I'm paying cash, so I'm hesitant to get into a 60k dollar car that comes with a lot of flaws that will cause me aggravation.

The scraped up door bolts and scraped door edges show real carelessness. Seeing all these flaws has me personally convinced that the mantra at Tesla is to slap together as many of these cars as fast as they can, quality be damned. Sure, will they fix them post-sale? Yeah, it sounds like they will, but this sales model rubs me the wrong way. If this is their sales model, and all evidence points to that it is, then I'm disappointed in Tesla for putting quarterly earnings reports over their customer's satisfaction and ownership experience.

This reeks of company arrogance.

This will be my first eclectic car and (obviously) first Tesla, but I had really hoped there was something more compelling than a Tesla. Tesla still leads the market overall and I didn't see anything coming within the next model year or two so I opted to buy a MY.

Still have not submitted final payment...

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777
I would have declined the car.