Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any major paint issues? Mines you will only see it if you are on a mission to look for them.
No most of the paint was pretty good, a few paint nibs, couple of scratches in the door frames and small nick on the front fender,
I might have taken the car if there had not been so many other issues. I also noticed some stitching issues with the front seats that could could a problem down the road

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler and DennyL
Yet many people on TMC complaining that we are complaining. I am not complaining rather pointing out the flaws to watch out for.. Its a tough pill to swallow and it's our time that are wasted getting everything documented to get Tesla to repair. So far my Model Y PUP have 26 items documented, pending approval for body shop repairs. Today, Friday is my last day to return it or repair it. Its my second Tesla, love the car and so far they are promising everything will get fixed. We will wait and see.

Album of all my issues.
Model Y PUP Pearl White

OMG! It looks like they used white-out as touch-up paint!!!

Reactions: DennyL
@DennyL, your delivery was worse than mine. Circus tent with clowns is how your car was made. It looks like a bunch of touch-up paint done in delivery maybe after the car was rejected. Some poor sap is probably driving mine right now with a little touch-up paint.

I think waiting for the new paint booth and production to move indoors is the thing to do. I hope you returned yours.

• Funny
Reactions: DennyL
@DennyL, your delivery was worse than mine. Circus tent with clowns is how your car was made. It looks like a bunch of touch-up paint done in delivery maybe after the car was rejected. Some poor sap is probably driving mine right now with a little touch-up paint.

I think waiting for the new paint booth and production to move indoors is the thing to do. I hope you returned yours.
Mines was sent to reputable Tesla body shop. It will hopefully come out better than factory. The same body shop did insurance repairs on my Lexus RX350 (paint scratches from car wash) came looking like new like it never happened. I sold my Model 3, couldn't wait and bite the bullet, the delivery operation manager in writting approved all my 26 items on list to be fixed and all paint issues to be resolved by body shop, otherwise I would have returned it. I will update b4 and after pictures in 3-4 weeks.

1. Contact the delivery center and get the operations manager.

2. Demand nicely all issues documented on due bill.

3. Submit all photos by 100 miles through email to that manager so you can trace back. They will verify if within 100 miles by your VIN. Then ask your delivery service center manager for it to be fixed by body shop and not touch ups. You have 7 days 100 miles to figure this out or return the car. Lookup all Tesla certified body shops, find one and kindly ask your delivery manager to steer it to that shop. In my case, I am in San Diego, reputable body shop is Amato's Auto Body. I will explain more below.

4. Then scheduled service. Add all photos. You can open multiple problems and submit 5 photos each. Have your delivery manager contact your service location to get the approvals started.

Note for any body shop repairs, it will require approval from delivery center, service manager and Tesla engineers (I know Amato's Auto Body that Tesla uses, which I have used in the past for my Lexus, therefore this process they provided to insure it gets approved by Tesla. It was explained to me 1 week process.) Documentation is key.

5. Service center advisor/manager will contact you for more documentation. 1 photo close up and 1 photo 3 feet way. As you can see why I have an album of so many photos. All these photos are going to engineering and uper management for approval. Submit via email each issue and photos.

6. Pending approval from Tesla for body shop repairs which is where I am at now. My car is sitting at home instead at the service center waiting approval. Service manager already has service scheduled a week out from today for drop off and straight to body shop. FYI my service was scheduled for today and rather not have the car just sit on their lot.

I can trust the body shop more than Tesla doing touch up. If they did not go out their way to help, I would be returning my car today, but they are going out of their way to make this right. Why can I trust the auto body. My Lexus was scratched, deep ones from car wash. Sent to body shop paid for by insurance (choose the best of the best found them on Yelp with hundreds of reviews which is Amato's Auto Body in San Diego). FYI I am not affiliated with Amato's, they just did a dang good job. And they are Tesla certified repair center. Lexus came out like the scratches never occurred and looks factory new.

Hopefully these steps help those struggling with Tesla to get repairs going. And if you want to guarantee body shop repairs, documentation is key, otherwise it will be a best effort touch up.

FYI my car was dropped off on Monday to Tesla SC and it was sent straight to Tesla cerified body shop (verified by app and Teslafi. They estimate 3-4 weeks repairs, there was 2 other Model Y being repaired so mines in the queue. I have a Model X 100D locked in Chill mode as a loaner.
I will provide b4 and after pictures once I get it back next month. It took a lot of time and energy to get everything to this point. I was NOT settling for a quick touch up by SC, demanded repairs by body shop! Nicely of course.. Documentation, documentation is key and you need those folks at delivery center and SC on your side!

Good luck those getting theirs repaired and hope its not like a quick touch up, which was attempted on mines!

New here and do not own a Tesla YET, but VERY motivated to acquire one in the not too distant future. After lurking and reading the fit/finish posts for awhile, my thought now is to wait a little while and purchase a used MY so that hopefully the original owner will have debugged the car. I don't think I'm patient enough to deal with what many here have gone through.....

Mines was sent to reputable Tesla body shop. It will hopefully come out better than factory. The same body shop did insurance repairs on my Lexus RX350 (paint scratches from car wash) came looking like new like it never happened. I sold my Model 3, couldn't wait and bite the bullet, the delivery operation manager in writting approved all my 26 items on list to be fixed and all paint issues to be resolved by body shop, otherwise I would have returned it. I will update b4 and after pictures in 3-4 weeks.

My wife really liked the Model Y. When I took it back, I told them I would be happy to keep the car with a respray. Some of the defects on mine that look like chips are just super thin paint that never covered things in the first place. With a respray, it would have proper thickness all around. They lied and said respray could only be done by returning the car to the factory. Tesla delivery can be as sleazy as any car dealer.

Don't let them do any touch up if your not rejecting delivery. They screwed up my Model Y because of their touch up I didn't ask for. Mines going to Amato's Auto Body tomorrow through the Tesla Miramar location. I feel more confident it will come out like factory new after all the paint fixes. I have used Amato's in the past.

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

Example touch up from Carlsbad location
https://i.imgur.com/xGLB6c9.jpg
Sorry about your issues. On a side note, what floor mats are those? Not sure I like pattern but they sure look well fitted. Do you like them?

I have a bunch of paint flaws on a 4 month old Tesla that I noticed at about 1 month, Some dust and just overall poor paint quality but now TESLA is refusing to fix it which is ABSURD. Does anyone have a main headquarters phone number since my local dealer is basically giving me the "well thats policy" bullshit.

Thanks for any help!
Adam

Harder to do in practice. They had my down payment already, my old car was gone yesterday, and two credit pulls already in the process and the next car could have a pricier loan.

I walked from my last Tesla delivery and they were jerks about it. Took nearly a month with calls and escalations to get my down payment back.

This is precisely why I do not submit final payment prior to inspection. This policy, and the can't-get-the-same-trim component of the 7 day return policy, are designed to box you into accepting bad cars. I know not everyone has the option, but if you're taking delivery at a staffed location you should wait to pay until after you've accepted delivery.

Reactions: 5JMJ and raggedy
This is precisely why I do not submit final payment prior to inspection. This policy, and the can't-get-the-same-trim component of the 7 day return policy, are designed to box you into accepting bad cars. I know not everyone has the option, but if you're taking delivery at a staffed location you should wait to pay until after you've accepted delivery.

It was a COVID home delivery. He showed up with another person waiting in the return car. They were pressing to get done quickly with the return driver never even pulling to the curb.

On the replacement delivery, I gave a distant location so that I could avoid at home delivery. If it isn't close, I will refuse delivery and not pay the remainder.

It would be nice if you could reject a car and come back in a few weeks when it was fixed to get it rather than committing to a bunch of shop visits.