Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delta M-4, String drops out to zero for 2 hrs ? [delta inverter issues]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is showing that I have the latest firmware in the app.
3.1.7, 1.5.8, 1.5.1

I wonder if that 1.5.11 will fix my MCI issue. Do you have panels or solar roof?
My limited perusal of the various forums suggests that your installation is the only one to have seen a MCI issue. So I want to ask how sure you are that this is truly a genuine issue? Perhaps your Tesla tech was incorrect and the issues you've been seeing have some other cause. I suspect that a MCI issue which is actually caused by firmware rather than hardware would be seen at multiple installations.

The M Tool app can show you the state of each of the MCIs, and allow you to control their on/off state. Or if you suspect a MCI is open, checking the PV string parameters would show both zero amp and zero volts.

The reason I ask is that waiting for a firmware fix may be a long wait if Delta doesn't regard the MCIs as a systemic issue.

There are definitely others that have this same problem but it doesn't seem to affect all Delta M series w/ MCIs installed. I've seen posts on other forums about it and someone even posted a screenshot from Tesla stating they know about the problem and are waiting for a fix. I think what's interesting is it seems to affect some folks more than others. I have a hunch that folks with small systems like mine are more prone to this firmware issue. Another thing is that our weather here in SF makes the issue show up because of the way the fog rolls in over our house. Some days the light levels can swing dramatically all day which makes the inverter basically shutdown for the entire day.

I can't check my MCI status because that same tech disconnected them. This made the issue go away but now my system is not up to code.

Trust me. I'm tired of waiting for a fix. I just want the system to work like I was sold. I'm about to give them another phone call this week and if I can't get any movement I think a strongly worded letter from my lawyer might be in order.

Attachments

• 132629779_10158196411528533_2684595188230819717_n.jpg
    132629779_10158196411528533_2684595188230819717_n.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 105
The screenshot refers to a hardware fix, not a firmware fix. Possibly the root cause of the problem isn't or wasn't known.

I'd be worried that the tech disconnected the MCIs, but didn't record this activity. I can't imagine Tesla issuing in writing a service instruction which potentially puts firefighters in danger, nor can I easily imagine that the tech would commit his "fix" to writing either. This is not a inconsequential code violation--presumably there is a sticker that announces that a RSD system is in place. If Tesla is monitoring your production, they won't see an issue, and won't try to upgrade your hardware.

This apparently puts your installation in a difficult situation. If the root cause is hardware, it is likely that nothing will be done, because your system is producing reasonable power.
If it is a firmware issue, it may well have already been fixed, but you have no way of recognizing that a fix has taken place.

My unsolicited advice is to carefully demonstrate that your MCIs aren't hooked up. Use the M Tool app and take screen shots to show that you have production and no MCIs. Write an email with the screen shots contained in the body and as an attachment. Point out that this is not code compliant and unsafe. Request them to rectify the situation immediately. Wait 3 days and if you receive no useful response, call and stay on the line until you reach a live person. Insist on speaking to technical support because Tesla has a real safety issue and legal liability here. I believe that once anyone at Tesla realizes that they have installed an unsafe system, and that the issue has been documented, you will get a quick resolution. Of course, at some point in the interactions, you should push for replacement of all the MCIs, or at least a commitment to replace them if performance is degraded after reconnection. Again, I think the key is to use email to document, and phone to get attention.

The screenshot refers to a hardware fix, not a firmware fix. Possibly the root cause of the problem isn't or wasn't known.

I'd be worried that the tech disconnected the MCIs, but didn't record this activity. I can't imagine Tesla issuing in writing a service instruction which potentially puts firefighters in danger, nor can I easily imagine that the tech would commit his "fix" to writing either. This is not a inconsequential code violation--presumably there is a sticker that announces that a RSD system is in place. If Tesla is monitoring your production, they won't see an issue, and won't try to upgrade your hardware.

This apparently puts your installation in a difficult situation. If the root cause is hardware, it is likely that nothing will be done, because your system is producing reasonable power.
If it is a firmware issue, it may well have already been fixed, but you have no way of recognizing that a fix has taken place.

My unsolicited advice is to carefully demonstrate that your MCIs aren't hooked up. Use the M Tool app and take screen shots to show that you have production and no MCIs. Write an email with the screen shots contained in the body and as an attachment. Point out that this is not code compliant and unsafe. Request them to rectify the situation immediately. Wait 3 days and if you receive no useful response, call and stay on the line until you reach a live person. Insist on speaking to technical support because Tesla has a real safety issue and legal liability here. I believe that once anyone at Tesla realizes that they have installed an unsafe system, and that the issue has been documented, you will get a quick resolution. Of course, at some point in the interactions, you should push for replacement of all the MCIs, or at least a commitment to replace them if performance is degraded after reconnection. Again, I think the key is to use email to document, and phone to get attention.
After you do all that, wait a reasonable amount of time, then write a letter documenting the situation and send it certified to the legal department at Tesla headquarters.

I just had a 16 kilowatt system commissioned with two Delta solivia 7.6 inverters. They frequently go into night mode during the day, I believe whenever a small cloud or any kind of minor shade passes by the panels. I should be getting over 60 KW hours per day but I'm only getting around 20. It's been very frustrating.

Once the inverters go into night mode, they stay there for 30 minutes to 1 hour, even in full sun. I have two inverters, and they each go into night mode randomly. Not sure if what I'm describing is the same problem you saw or a different issue. How long did it take for Tesla to send someone out after you reported the problem? I'm hoping this can be resolved.

Thanks!

Hello! I've had a Delta M8-TL-US inverter w/7.6kW of panels & 2 Powerwall 2s installed March 2020. I've noticed some issues with generation over the past year. Specifically, lots of time where generation would drop or fluctuate constantly.

One issue that i've had trouble with is shading from trees. It would regularly drop production significantly (5kW down to about 2 or less), to the point where I called Tesla, who sent out people to look at it. They said a firmware update would fix it, seemed like an obvious guess or lie. Luckily the tree that was shading my panels eventually ended up getting trimmed, along with the summer months, I've had OK generation.

However, 4 days ago my system completely stopped generating electricity. I've turned off the disconnect & breakers to try and restart it to no avail. I can hear an audible constant click noise from the inverter, which sounds like what happens when it would normally successfully flip on generation -- it sounds like a relay is constantly tripping over and over every second. I tried connecting the M series app to it (iOS, seems to be less featured than the android version), but i don't see much. It'll say ERROR at some point and list "Aux power voltage abnormal (SAF)" then alternate to OK as the relay goes on and off.

I called & chatted with Tesla, and they said the earliest date they can come is 8/31, which was two weeks out from when I contacted them originally. Also, I apparently didn't have a production guarantee in my contract. I own my system outright.

Anyone a bit more familiar with troubleshooting this specific configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Just to add, there is no shading currently on my panels while the inverter is having issues. The shading note was simply to reference that I've had issues with smooth generation since install.

(moderator note)

I moved your thread into the thread of other people with delta inverter issues. I am not sure if there has been any resolution, but there have been a number of people who have had issues with delta inverters, so figured this post would be better in the exiting thread (which also bumps the thread up for further comments if anyone has any).

I tried connecting the M series app to it (iOS, seems to be less featured than the android version), but i don't see much. It'll say ERROR at some point and list "Aux power voltage abnormal (SAF)" then alternate to OK as the relay goes on and off.
Did you use the iOS "M Professional" app and connect using the installer code "6532"? If so, you might be able to get some info by looking at the logs (menu -> Analysis -> Logs I think - sorry don't have the app in front of me at the moment).

Did you use the iOS "M Professional" app and connect using the installer code "6532"? If so, you might be able to get some info by looking at the logs (menu -> Analysis -> Logs I think - sorry don't have the app in front of me at the moment).
This helped me determine I had both FW problems with the inverter and later some shading problems. It built good evidence for Tesla to take action to update the inverters FW.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I did, but I don't see anything different than using the code printed on the device -- no new options, etc.

For reference, here's a couple images from the app itself:
Did Tesla give you a little network box that you need to put inside near the Delta inverter and that connects to Ethernet only? When I had mine installed in December they did not give me one. Later when I had some issues my PM handed me the box and said they were no longer giving them out (Probably because they were switching to Tesla inverters). But that is the only way Tesla can actually query your inverter status and download FW, which to me seems mandatory.

Did Tesla give you a little network box that you need to put inside near the Delta inverter and that connects to Ethernet only? When I had mine installed in December they did not give me one. Later when I had some issues my PM handed me the box and said they were no longer giving them out (Probably because they were switching to Tesla inverters). But that is the only way Tesla can actually query your inverter status and download FW, which to me seems mandatory.
Yeah, though they told me that I didn’t need it. It’s sitting no more than 20ft away. It’s the Tesla branded version (I think there’s a solar city version too?). It’s connected via Ethernet and there are no red status lights so I think it’s fine. Nobody has proactively contacted me about any issues with my inverter though.

For reference, here's a couple images from the app itself:
It is interesting that you have 0.0 A for all 3 strings.
It also looks like your system is one version behind mine (3.1.7 instead of 3.1.8) - that could be because you have panels and I have a solar roof.

Just to confirm, are you not able to see the logs or are your logs just empty?
Here is how I view my logs:

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 9.49.42 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Yeah, though they told me that I didn’t need it. It’s sitting no more than 20ft away. It’s the Tesla branded version (I think there’s a solar city version too?). It’s connected via Ethernet and there are no red status lights so I think it’s fine. Nobody has proactively contacted me about any issues with my inverter though.
Just to be sure you might see if you can get that box closer. I moved mine to just a few inches from the inverters on the inside of the wall where the inverters are mounted.

Tesla has monitored our installation (Solarroof + PWs) and did proactively contact us to set up a service appointment when the production did not meet expectations.

Reactions: dabdine
It is interesting that you have 0.0 A for all 3 strings.
It also looks like your system is one version behind mine (3.1.7 instead of 3.1.8) - that could be because you have panels and I have a solar roof.

Just to confirm, are you not able to see the logs or are your logs just empty?
Here is how I view my logs:

(removed image to condense reply)

All I see is this. Do I need to activate the app? I can't find out how to do that, but it does ask for an "activation key" under "activation"

IMG_5429.jpg