Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo car questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First post. Last week, caught the Tesla bug and went to the local Tesla dealership to order a new build (RWD, white, Aero). The OA said they have demo cars available in the area that can be shipped immediately. Thought about it for a bit and decided to go ahead. I chose one that was in Los Angeles (about an hour from where I am) that had 600 miles on it for $1000 off.

The next couple of days, after after a few text exchanges from a delivery advisor, they say the car can't be delivered until 10/12. I was also given a vin number 45xxx which puts the build date around end of May. I'm getting cold feet about buying the demo car and am thinking I should just switch to a new build. Since the RWD builds are 4 weeks out, I wouldn't have to wait too much longer than getting the demo car.

As far as quality issues, do you think there is much difference between a M3 that was built in May vs now? Any reasons to be concerned about buying a demo car?

Thank you in advance!

I got my car in May, that's one of the first batches that came out without a number of issues.

A demo car might have been driven, but it might have sat in the showroom.

New RWDs have been known to arrive in less than a week. But today is a new quarter and all rules are subject to change.

You can't tell the build date based on the VIN. My car is 35xxx and was built in June. You have to look at the sticker on the door sill.

As for whether you should take the car, it really depends on if it's in a good condition. If it looks fine, works fine, and you want to save $1k, then there's nothing wrong with taking the demo car. Demo or new, you get the same warranty.

If you don't need to save $1k then by all means order a new car.

I personally think demo tesla mode 3 are fine because sale guys go along with the customer. Majority of the test drive is launching and showing the autopilot. I doubt anyone are doing donuts, jumping the car, speed racing etc.

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
You can't tell the build date based on the VIN. My car is 35xxx and was built in June. You have to look at the sticker on the door sill.

As for whether you should take the car, it really depends on if it's in a good condition. If it looks fine, works fine, and you want to save $1k, then there's nothing wrong with taking the demo car. Demo or new, you get the same warranty.

If you don't need to save $1k then by all means order a new car.

That's good to know, thank you. I had used this twitter handle to get more information regarding M3 vin numbers: Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter
So that's why I thought 45xxx was a May delivery.

Two huge upsides to a local demo car:

1. You can see it beforehand
2. You can test drive it beforehand

Invaluable as you can eliminate all of the worries about fit, finish, road/wind noise, etc. This is beyond all the stuff like deliveries getting rescheduled, etc. Now admittedly, I think the discounts are pretty small compared what what traditional dealers tend to offer for demo cars.

Not worth the discount IMO. Tesla will fix issues you find on a new car.

I've taken test drives and seen many others take test drives. The reps here are very "free" in how hard you push the demo cars. They suffer very hard test drive miles.

Hi all,

First post. Last week, caught the Tesla bug and went to the local Tesla dealership to order a new build (RWD, white, Aero). The OA said they have demo cars available in the area that can be shipped immediately. Thought about it for a bit and decided to go ahead. I chose one that was in Los Angeles (about an hour from where I am) that had 600 miles on it for $1000 off.

The next couple of days, after after a few text exchanges from a delivery advisor, they say the car can't be delivered until 10/12. I was also given a vin number 45xxx which puts the build date around end of May. I'm getting cold feet about buying the demo car and am thinking I should just switch to a new build. Since the RWD builds are 4 weeks out, I wouldn't have to wait too much longer than getting the demo car.

As far as quality issues, do you think there is much difference between a M3 that was built in May vs now? Any reasons to be concerned about buying a demo car?

Thank you in advance!

Check the tires' threads, as many said here Demo cars were driven hard not reckless but a huge selling point is acceleration. $1k off is good, plus likely demo cars were hand picked (speculating here) so they would be in top notch shape.

600 miles is nothing. At the same time $1000 off is not much either.
For such a small discount I would order a new one. Imaging all the asses that sat in the seat. I’ll consider if the discount was 10K+.
My 2014 BMW 335i was a demo vehicle with 1000 miles when I took over and the discount was $10k off the sticker.
I just lease a 2018 Volvo XC90 demo for my wife last weekend. Sticker price at 70K. Since it’s a demo it was marked down to $52K with 5K miles.
This should hold her up for 3 years until the Model Y comes out...