Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New built car has 71 miles on odometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is pretty normal and likely from moving the car in region.

They’ll do this when it’s faster & cheaper than a tow/ truck move to get the delivery done faster.

The odometer will not be less than 71. The paperwork is pulling the odometer from the connected car. If anything it will be slightly more than 71 miles if they had to move the car around whatever property its on.

Back when I got my first MS , it sounded like conventional received wisdom that the cars came out of Fremont with 50 miles on the odo. That’s what mine had , and it pretty much rolled out of the factory.

My current car came with 15 miles on the odometer.
50 used to be the default value they put on the paperwork. All the docs for my original Model S say 50 even though I picked it up at the back door of the factory with a single mile on the odometer.

15 seems to be the current default value. That’s what my Model 3 paperwork said even though the actual mileage was like 6.

50 used to be the default value they put on the paperwork. All the docs for my original Model S say 50 even though I picked it up at the back door of the factory with a single mile on the odometer.

15 seems to be the current default value. That’s what my Model 3 paperwork said even though the actual mileage was like 6.
50 is the standard here in Seattle. Both my cars said 50, and both were much under that.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
The concerns over delivery mileage stems from ICE vehicle days. In most cases vehicle manufacturers had very specific parameters about how the car was driven in those early miles (don't go above 5,000 RPM for the first 750 miles, etc.). Those parameters were suggested to extract maximum longevity, performance, and efficiency from the gasoline engine. Tesla clearly doesn't have any issues with getting their engine piston rings to seat properly, and they don't need to worry about metal shavings in the oil at the first oil change! As such, the only potential issues IMO are cosmetic. Did anyone physically damage the car in any way during the 70 miles it was driven (chip the bumper or windshield, leave a nasty odor in the car, run something over and damage a wheel or tire, etc.)? If you look the car over and there isn't any physical damage, then say thank you and enjoy it. If someone did 1,000 sequential launches from a dead stop to accumulate those 70 miles, then I'm sure that would have put some strain on the components...incredibly unlikely though. Most of the people I've spoken with at Tesla service centers already own and drive these cars regularly. It's not a big novelty to them at this point, so I'd like to believe they're probably not just hooning around in every car that passes through the facility at every opportunity.

I think you can see the exact build date on the side of the front door. The SO should be able to show you at delivery. I had purchased a tesla with 5 miles on it, and knew it was because the manager drove it from the storage lot to show me the car before purchasing. This was a bit back. Now awaiting a car that was set to be a demo car and diverted to me for pick up. Scheduled for next week, I assume it won't have any miles other then that from storage lot to the delivery center.