Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New built car has 71 miles on odometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supposed to receive the car tomorrow but the docs show newly build S has 71 miles. I escalated and SR called me telling me it's most likely from driving between locations and testing. I can reject then a new VIN would be available in 2 days they say. If I do not get it by the end of the month it does not make sense to me (due to FSD transfer, that was my main motivation). They insist that this is not a demo vehicle and built after order. What's your take and what would you do?

I bought my inventory P85+ in 2014 with 8500 miles* on it. You could not tell it wasn't a brand new car.

I would not worry about 71 miles. Ever.

*I did get a sizable discount.
I buy this car as custom order so there’s no discount. All newly built cars that I read in forums around 10 miles when they are bought that’s why I was worried . Otherwise you are correct 71 miles is negligible.

I was supposed to receive the car tomorrow but the docs show newly build S has 71 miles. I escalated and SR called me telling me it's most likely from driving between locations and testing. I can reject then a new VIN would be available in 2 days they say. If I do not get it by the end of the month it does not make sense to me (due to FSD transfer, that was my main motivation). They insist that this is not a demo vehicle and built after order. What's your take and what would you do?
I don’t see the issue.

Employee or porter took it out for a spin with the SO. Or for coffee. 😂

If it’s in good condition, it’s still a new car. And technically (depending on state), a car with a couple of thousand miles on the odometer is still, and can be sold as, a new car. Nothing unusual really. Enjoy the new car smell!

Reactions: asterothe
I think OP is saying the documents are showing 71, not the actual car since it doesn't sound like they've seen it in person?

My sales documents prior to pickup showed something like 15, but the actual car had something like 4 miles when I actually got it.

71 miles is just fine … my 2 previous Teslas had 18 and 46. I’m personally ok up to 100 miles, otherwise I would ask for an explanation.

I’ve found this link as well, when they say 200 miles is acceptable:

“The general rule, though, is that anything under 200 miles is acceptable for a new car.”

Back when I got my first MS , it sounded like conventional received wisdom that the cars came out of Fremont with 50 miles on the odo. That’s what mine had , and it pretty much rolled out of the factory.

My current car came with 15 miles on the odometer. As far as I’d assumed, that’s the new normal. Inflation and all that… this car is a fresh build, ordered early this month, a 9/23 build picked up last weekend.

Personally I’d not care about miles up to about 100. But I’d care about build date. It’s it was on the order of months old, I’d wonder what rolling feature installations I’ve missed out on.

Back when I got my first MS , it sounded like conventional received wisdom that the cars came out of Fremont with 50 miles on the odo. That’s what mine had , and it pretty much rolled out of the factory.

My current car came with 15 miles on the odometer. As far as I’d assumed, that’s the new normal. Inflation and all that… this car is a fresh build, ordered early this month, a 9/23 build picked up last weekend.

Personally I’d not care about miles up to about 100. But I’d care about build date. It’s it was on the order of months old, I’d wonder what rolling feature installations I’ve missed out on.
Thank you. How may I check the build date?