Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Model S, Lukewarm 'deal', seeking your comments / take

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ll keep it short, wondering if I should pull the trigger
Demo Vehicle - 50 miles on ODO
Black / Black interior
Multicoat White
75D
Free SC for life with Ref Code
Biggest Point: Made just prior to Premium Upgrade features became standard
Home delivery included in $1200 Doc Fee
Offering 2 years of extended coverage
$ 72990

What do you guys think ?

Reactions: P85_DA
ok, thanks.
I asked my friend who has MS with PUP per him the rear heated seats didnt add much and the 'premium' audio was not that much different when he got his MS. He paid for the PUP in his MS though.
I am in no rush, but would like to get in on the free SC.
any other experts wish to chime in ?

Is $72.9 before or after the $7500 fed tax credit? If before, that’s a great deal. If after, then it’s likely just an Ok deal but depends on other features (eg is it prem seats or just standard multi pattern?).
This is before the Tax Credit and Tax credit is one of the main reasons why I am even considering buying now as opposed to next summer when I graduate which is when this would have been a gift to myself. [I went back to school 3 yrs ago ]

on your second comment, did you mean to say this is NOT a good deal as it lacks PUP ?

This is before the Tax Credit and Tax credit is one of the main reasons why I am even considering buying now as opposed to next summer when I graduate which is when this would have been a gift to myself. [I went back to school 3 yrs ago ]

on your second comment, did you mean to say this is NOT a good deal as it lacks PUP ?

This is ok deal but in that price range would personally get a P3D

This is ok deal but in that price range would personally get a P3D
Thank you for your comment. I am indeed considering the P3D as well, but need a larger car. In my late 30s I dont care about 0-60 times one bit, so the P factor is moot point for me. Additional 70 miles of range is nice on the P3D but when I really do the numbers, my daily commute is now 80 miles RT 4 days a week, and will be 10 miles RT after I graduate, so both will work well from a daily driver s/point.
I realize I will have to charge more frequently for a longer highway trip in MS or charge less frequently but pay [for SC use, though that is not a whole lot]

• Love
I think that is a good deal. If you look at ev-cpo there are a bunch pre-PUP with multi pattern interior and EAP in the 77,600 - 79,100 range.

Does this car have EAP and black leather? If yes, I think it is a great deal considering the extended warranty as well.

Are you specifically looking for a Model S for the size or anything specific? I switched from a white/white P3D+ order to a Model S inventory last week because the price was basically the same. For me, the increased size and what I feel is more luxurious feel were a better fit for me having three kids.

If I didn't have young kids I would have gone for the P3D+ for sure.

I had planned to buy next year, but with the tax credit reducing I felt like it was throwing away money to not buy now.

• Love
Thank you for your comment. I am indeed considering the P3D as well, but need a larger car. In my late 30s I dont care about 0-60 times one bit, so the P factor is moot point for me. Additional 70 miles of range is nice on the P3D but when I really do the numbers, my daily commute is now 80 miles RT 4 days a week, and will be 10 miles RT after I graduate, so both will work well from a daily driver s/point.
I realize I will have to charge more frequently for a longer highway trip in MS or charge less frequently but pay [for SC use, though that is not a whole lot]

If this car has EAP would jump at it ..it’s decent enough price ...without EAP u can probably find some better ones on EV-CPO

I think that is a good deal. If you look at ev-cpo there are a bunch pre-PUP with multi pattern interior and EAP in the 77,600 - 79,100 range.

Does this car have EAP and black leather? If yes, I think it is a great deal considering the extended warranty as well.

Are you specifically looking for a Model S for the size or anything specific? I switched from a white/white P3D+ order to a Model S inventory last week because the price was basically the same. For me, the increased size and what I feel is more luxurious feel were a better fit for me having three kids.

If I didn't have young kids I would have gone for the P3D+ for sure.

I had planned to buy next year, but with the tax credit reducing I felt like it was throwing away money to not buy now.

Re:EAP, short answer is - it does not.
Long version is It does have EAP and the quote originally said $77990, but I am not wanting it right away [ $$] so next year as I will be working FT, I can always add it on. So they are going to remove it which is how the price is $72990.
Its jsut regular non leather seats
for both reasons above, I think its a lukewarm deal at best.

I am specifically looking for MS [but am tempted to get M3 due to the price] primarily for the space and also its just a larger heavier car. I know I am sacrificing range but that is not a factor for me as I explained above.

I did research used MSs and new M3D. Eventual price after Tax credit was very close considering depreciation and the newer MSs are more efficient with battery management. I decided not to put $ towards a 3yr old battery. And the extra cost as an insurance towards a fresh new battery. Also my local utility has some [small] perks going on right now.

I keep my cars for over 5 yrs, [ my current car is the 2nd one I have bought / owned] and pretty close to 8-10 yrs, but We'll see where we are in 10 years.
Why Tesla Will Be Overwhelmed - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Sorry I realize I wasn’t very clear. That’s what I get for trying to formulate a thought while carrying on a conversation with a 6yo and 2yo o_O

Regarding the deal, others have nailed it. It’s the standard discount they’re running on all similarly equipped inventory 75Ds. Nothing special. Two years of extended coverage is a sweetener tho.

Regarding PUP, basically you have to decide if it’s worth the amount of discount you’re getting on the inventory car. I just got an inventory 75D with $4K+ discount and it doesn’t have any of the 3 PUP features. I could’ve ordered the same car for about that much more new and it would’ve had PUP. For me, PUP is a waste of $ so it was a no brainer. Don’t need upgraded filters or rear heated seats. I had an S with the upgraded sound and it’s hardly better than standard sound. Hope this helps.

Also, if luxury is important, spend a good amount of time in the 3 before you buy. I was days away from picking up a fully load P3D+ and backed out in favor of another S. I took multiple 1 hr test drives in the 3. It’s fast and fun, but I couldn’t accept how cheap it looks and feels. Sorry to the 3 guys - no offense meant - just my opinion obv. At the end of the day, you can buy a $160K P100D but you’re still getting a $70k car. Similarly, an $80K P3D+ is still a $35K car (eventually when SR is avail).

Last edited:
Reactions: iCharge
Sorry I realize I wasn’t very clear. That’s what I get for trying to formulate a thought while carrying on a conversation with a 6yo and 2yo o_O

Regarding the deal, others have nailed it. It’s the standard discount they’re running on all similarly equipped inventory 75Ds. Nothing special. Two years of extended coverage is a sweetener tho.

Regarding PUP, basically you have to decide if it’s worth the amount of discount you’re getting on the inventory car. I just got an inventory 75D with $4K+ discount and it doesn’t have any of the 3 PUP features. I could’ve ordered the same car for about that much more new and it would’ve had PUP. For me, PUP is a waste of $ so it was a no brainer. Don’t need upgraded filters or rear heated seats. I had an S with the upgraded sound and it’s hardly better than standard sound. Hope this helps.

Also, if luxury is important, spend a good amount of time in the 3 before you buy. I was days away from picking up a fully load P3D+ and backed out in favor of another S. I took multiple 1 hr test drives in the 3. It’s fast and fun, but I couldn’t accept how cheap it looks and feels. Sorry to the 3 guys - no offense meant - just my opinion obv. At the end of the day, you can buy a $160K P100D but you’re still getting a $70k car. Similarly, an $80K P3D+ is still a $35K car (eventually when SR is avail).

OMG, that's exactly what I was thinking last night as i was going off to sleep (what you wrote in the last paragraph!). The 75D fits my my daily driver needs just fine and at my age ( late 30s) and temperament ( work in healthcare/trauma) I really don't care about the 0 to 60 times. I do appreciate more space.

I think I am done with M3 thoughts. It's going to be a MS.

Thank you so much for articulating it so well.

• Love
I ll keep it short, wondering if I should pull the trigger
Demo Vehicle - 50 miles on ODO
Black / Black interior
Multicoat White
75D
Free SC for life with Ref Code
Biggest Point: Made just prior to Premium Upgrade features became standard
Home delivery included in $1200 Doc Fee
Offering 2 years of extended coverage
$ 72990

What do you guys think ?
I think it’s a good deal for a car without PUP.

I put money down 2 years ago for a model 3.
While waiting for model 3, I decided on a new Model S inventory car with PUP. I too was looking for a basic Model S after removing the model 3 from my list.

I felt I was getting better value with the Model S and received delivery in August.

Here in the northeast, heated seats and wipers are a plus, we are not in beautiful, warm California.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
I think it’s a good deal for a car without PUP.

I put money down 2 years ago for a model 3.
While waiting for model 3, I decided on a new Model S inventory car with PUP. I too was looking for a basic Model S after removing the model 3 from my list.

I felt I was getting better value with the Model S and received delivery in August.

Here in the northeast, heated seats and wipers are a plus, we are not in beautiful, warm California.
Thank you for your reply. I am very close to closing in on this 75D mentioned in the 1st post above. With Tax rebate expiring and free SC, I think I am going to jump in, although its a little early.
I am a little bummed about no PUP specifically windshield & Wiper defrosters esp being here in New England but talked to a few owners who said preheating the car while plugged in [ which now a days can be done via app ] does wonders and no one really 'misses' the PUP.
My car will be garaged in winters at house and both summer and winter at work, so snow is a non issue. Only if I park somewhere outside in winter, will I have to deal with ice on my trip back to home.