Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Depending on whose phone the car detects first, will it select the associated driver profile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the model 3 arrives I want to setup both my wife and myself for the phone proximity/Bluetooth unlocking option. If my wife and I both setup our custom profiles with our individual seating and mirror adjustments, does each profile get associated with their respective phone?
Depending on whose phone the car detects first, will it select the associated driver profile? Or do we have to manually select our profile from the iPad screen every time we get in the car?

Thanks for the quick response. I don’t think it would be very difficult to implement that feature.

BMW has had that feature for years... its not as seamless as one would think.. at least on BMWs. The main issue is, its tied to the key that unlocks the car, but when you have 2 drivers with 2 keys that go to different profiles, the car sometimes picks the first one to open the door (as both are there).

In teslas case, I am almost sure that would happen as well, and if you have 2 drivers with pretty different driving positions due to height (like me at 6'3 and my wife at 5'6 for example), if it switches to the profile of the smaller person you have to then change it.

Worse on tesla, if you were using easy access, it would then crunch the taller person into the smaller persons seat settings. This WILL happen when tesla implements this. At least in BMWs case, they could theoretically ignore the passenger side unlocking. I guess tesla could ignore the passenger door too, but both keys are valid on starting the car, and the car is able to see both keys, so they would have to use the actual door being opened or something.

Because I have been living with BMWs implementation of this since at least 2012, and it has never really gotten much better for families where both carry a key to the car (my wife and I both carry our keys with us at all times, regardless of who is driving), I am hesitant to think this will be better in the tesla.

BMW has had that feature for years... its not as seamless as one would think.. at least on BMWs. The main issue is, its tied to the key that unlocks the car, but when you have 2 drivers with 2 keys that go to different profiles, the car sometimes picks the first one to open the door (as both are there).

Not sure about your particular BMW, but the Model 3 has (at least) 5 distinct Bluetooth transceivers talking to the key phones, and there have been some indications that they are doing time-of-flight or strength differentiation to determine where the phone is. If so, they could prefer the phone nearest the driver position.

In teslas case, I am almost sure that would happen as well, and if you have 2 drivers with pretty different driving positions due to height (like me at 6'3 and my wife at 5'6 for example), if it switches to the profile of the smaller person you have to then change it.

Worse on tesla, if you were using easy access, it would then crunch the taller person into the smaller persons seat settings. This WILL happen when tesla implements this. At least in BMWs case, they could theoretically ignore the passenger side unlocking. I guess tesla could ignore the passenger door too, but both keys are valid on starting the car, and the car is able to see both keys, so they would have to use the actual door being opened or something.

Because I have been living with BMWs implementation of this since at least 2012, and it has never really gotten much better for families where both carry a key to the car (my wife and I both carry our keys with us at all times, regardless of who is driving), I am hesitant to think this will be better in the tesla.
It's not really helpful to tell us that BMW had this feature first. While I like BMW as a brand, we are here to find out more about Tesla. I do like that Tesla has the ability to add functionality later, like no other car manufacturer can.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
It's not really helpful to tell us that BMW had this feature first. While I like BMW as a brand, we are here to find out more about Tesla. I do like that Tesla has the ability to add functionality later, like no other car manufacturer can.

The point of me saying that is, the feature exists, and I have had it in cars for years, so could speak to how useful I found it. Qualifying my opinion of the feature in general and the desire some have to have it.

Reactions: Electroman
I think it is totally in line with the conversation and very helpful. I have this feature in my BMW as well and it can be very aggravating at times. Depending on who’s key unlocks the car it sets up seat position mirrors radio presets etc. sometimes I find myself racing to beat my wife to the car when I am driving to ensure this doesn’t happen. I honestly liked the fact that Tesla had you manually select the settings just because of the issues I have had on the BMW. This will be even worse because my wife sometimes has her BMW key in her purse but always has her phone.

I am not really sure this feature is even needed. I drive my car all the time and rarely my wife gets in the driver seat. And on the occasional instance when she does, the first thing she does it to select her profile.