Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Flaw? White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, does that little white strip pop out to enable it to be covered with something less reflective?

It's possible to remove the strip, but I don't know the disassembly details. I saw a YouTube video in which somebody showed that he'd removed the wood version of the strip to finish it in some way (using a wood stain, IIRC), but the video I saw only showed the final result, not the disassembly or assembly.

In sum, there are quite a few options for dealing with this problem, including (but probably not limited to):
  • Find somebody with whom to swap a white strip for a wood one. I've seen threads about such swaps every few days.
  • Cover all or part of the strip with a vinyl wrap if you want to change its color. That option wouldn't even require disassembly, although if you wanted to cover the whole strip, it would be tricky and would likely require at least two people. Alternatively, you could remove the piece and paint it (in whole or in part).
  • Wear polarizing sunglasses -- but some people have reported this doesn't work so well for them. (I've not tried this solution myself.)
  • Block the worst of the reflection with a wide-angle mirror like the one I use. This option has the added advantage of reducing the size of your driver-side blind spot. In principle, something other than a mirror would work, too. I suppose you could put a cell phone mount in the same spot, for instance.

Have you guys never placed something on your dash in any car that reflected into the windshield/windows of your car? Of course a light material would reflect more light. Why do you think a lot of cars have black interiors? When the white selection design choice came out many of us pointed out this was likely going to be a problem for people. A black or darker interior is also easier on the eyes in very bright sunlight. Less squinting and less light landing on your eyes. Might heat up the inside sooner but our Model 3 A/C unit cools the interior pretty quickly.

1. Polarized sunglasses don’t fix the issue
2. If Tesla moved the white strip a few inches either way, this would not have been an issue (why I mentioned design flaw)
3. Of course there are ways to mitigate or fully eliminate the issue, I don’t think any option will be aesthetically pleasing.
4. Complaining on a forum is easier than doing anything about it (why I posted it)

Yep. I have dark interior and wrapped the wood with a dark metallic vinyl wrap and still get these reflections.
Crap!!

Now I still plan on getting an aftermarket trim piece that's black.

At the very least it will look better, and hopefully cut down a bit on the glare.

What I find funny about the white interior is I've never had white interior before, but its really grown on me since getting it. I used to be all about black interiors. The white is so bright it takes a bit getting used to, but I really like the contrast. Having more black will add to that contrast so I think I'll like it even more.

Plus where I live is basically greyville so having white interior brightens things up a bit so I'm a bit more chipper at least until I read the news.

Reactions: AZHobos
Just remembered, I probably don't notice it because I wear polarized driving sunglasses.
All my pairs of polarized glasses don't help, and the window tint also makes it worse. I want to have mine wrapped in a brushed metal vinyl or replaced with aftermarket (but that's expensive and requires your core traded in).

At least you didn't get a white Dashboard, like they offered on the Chevy Bolt LOL.

Chevrolet Bolt Glare Issue? Just Replace Your Dash For $2,500 - Problem Fixed

All my pairs of polarized glasses don't help, and the window tint also makes it worse. I want to have mine wrapped in a brushed metal vinyl or replaced with aftermarket (but that's expensive and requires your core traded in)

My understanding is it's expensive if you don't want to trade in your core, but not that expensive (relatively speaking) if you trade your core in.

I haven't decided which route I'll take.

All I know is I plan on having someone else do it since I screw anything up that I can't easily retry. :p

Porsche had a similar issues with dash reflection. Porsche told drivers they needed to buy sunglasses. That led to a class-action lawsuit which Porsche settled. They ended up paying up to $150 each so that the owners could buy sunglasses.
They also stopped installing the bright silver speaker grilles on the dash of Burmester equipped cars. I'm lucky to own a Panamera Turbo before the change and have the beautiful Burmester grilles. I don't really notice the reflection and I live in sunny South Florida.

this isnt a sumglasse or tint issue as this happens without the presence of either of those

this is a design flaw for both black and white interiors made even worst by tinting windows + polarized glasses. Its usually when the sun is high over head so im hoping the sunroof shade will alleviate that.

Reactions: soTuesday
I wrapped mine. Polarized sunglasses do not help in my opinion.

Cheap and easy if you take your time.

for Tesla Model 3 Dashboard Wood Wrap Cover Stickers Interior Matte Deep Black Vinyl Wrap Kit(Matte Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P33G2QG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ylCj6GIwFMpoA
B715F9DA-CD21-4787-8523-790BABBF6F36.jpeg

Guess this comes down to personal choice. Get the dark interior, and reflections will be less. Opt for the brighter interiors, and your reflections will be more. Kinda the same with all vehicles.

I have that issue with my boat. Choose the light interior to keep the seats from getting hot, but sometimes it has distracting glare. My solution in the boat is to put a dark cloth over the dash.

Tesla owners are pretty clever. Imagine that most owners will be able to come up with a solution for those times of reflection.

So does the wood dash also reflect, just not to the same degree as the white dash (obviously I have the white dash)? Also, does that little white strip pop out to enable it to be covered with something less reflective?

No. To reflections like with the white. It’s a mirror so yes if you get just the right angle you can see it in the mirrors. I never have seen it under normal circumstances in the mirrors, and never in the windshield either.