Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This I see as somewhat unfortunate for the following reason. ICE manufacturers basically option you to death...you think you are getting a great car but you have to get option after option. What that does is dramatically improve margins. What was nice about when I ordered was there were basically just a few options and you were done - this path is going down the more traditional ICE purchase path. Great for company and margins, not great for consumers.

Actually I see this new method as unavoidable, and it was in fact, brought on by none other than tesla's customers - all of us..

Take for example leather being a standard feature previously, leilani highlighted her preference for textile instead and that Tesla should offer the choice of textile.. So, that becomes unbundled...

2nd, alcantara was default, someone at Tesla switched that material out, some owners were happy, some were unhappy, and now that there are two materials, people wanted to be able to choose what they want, so that is now an option too..

If you see where I'm going, everyone wants OPTIONS, everyone wants the car to be perfect in THEIR own way. What else were you expecting Tesla to do?

Well I am waiting to see if I can "shoot the gap" and add Parking Sensors to my order that is finalized but not yet in production (confirmed not in production for 2 weeks w/ Telsa). Hope they don't make me rebuild the whole car... price would go up 4k instead of 1k (park and fogs, or were fogs in tech package before)?

Meh. My car ends up being $1900 more than before and now it will have parking sensors. I had to pay $2500 instead of $1500 for the panoramic roof but that's about it. For our build it actually was great to not have to pay for all that leather on the doors, dash and alcantara on the seats and headliner. My wife is very against all of that leather and it's going to take everything I have to get her to just accept the leather seats instead of textile. So because the base price is lower and then you add in all that leather it's really not going to affect us much at all.

I also didn't care about the lighting ($1000) or Fog Lights ($500) but the Upgraded Sound System is the only thing I'm on the fence about right now. $2500? I don't think they redesigned it at all and it used to be $950. At $950 I was on the fence about it because on our test drive I though my 12 year old Bose system sounded better in our current car. If it's the same stereo as before then I'll actually end up saving money on the a la carte options by eliminating things I didn't want in the first place and yet I still get the parking sensors!

And the carbon fiber spoiler for $1500? That saved an argument as well. My wfe hated the old spoiler. I liked it. My son hated it. I told her, hell, it's free. Let's just get it. Well at $1500 I don't want it at all so that's off the table as well.

I'm liking this redesign!

Well I am waiting to see if I can "shoot the gap" and add Parking Sensors to my order that is finalized but not yet in production (confirmed not in production for 2 weeks w/ Telsa). Hope they don't make me rebuild the whole car... price would go up 4k instead of 1k (park and fogs, or were fogs in tech package before)?

Our cars don't have fog lights.

I would hope one day someone would fix the Design Studio when selecting 21" SILVER Wheels and then choosing the P85+ package. This defaults to the 21" GREY Wheels and you actually have to go back again and re-select "Silver". This almost got by me when I ordered, and at the last second at the store I noticed the car had the grey wheels in the illustration...Opps, Triple check your order before you commit as that would be a HUGE disappointment a month or two down the road!

I wonder how it's going to work for the hundreds of outstanding orders on hold that are going to call up and say "I want to add the parking sensors for $500 please." I wonder if Tesla will just add them in to their order or tell them to rebuild their car online.

Smart move ahead of earnings call. I bet Tesla sees increased web traffic around those calls, and perhaps increased reservations. New design studio and pricing positions that well.

I guess Tesla have rolled this in all the various languages that are part of the design studio, correct? Norwegian, Chinese, etc?

Strikes me that this is a strong indication that Tesla's earning announcement will be very positive. Manufacturers don't typically raise prices when they are losing money.

I wonder how it's going to work for the hundreds of outstanding orders on hold that are going to call up and say "I want to add the parking sensors for $500 please." I wonder if Tesla will just add them in to their order or tell them to rebuild their car online.

Was promised a call first thing from the DC store... Ill post what I hear... Hopefully others will as well. An email to Jerome indicated I would be "very very" happy.

Looks like they linked the twin chargers with buying the HPWC too. Don't really like that.

I just sent this message off to Tesla...

Dear Friends,

I'm pleased to see the new array of Model S options on the Tesla web site. HOWEVER, one item which does not make sense to me (and I imagine to many potential owners) is the requirement to purchase the HPWC if you want the second charger. There are many homeowners, myself included, with a 200 AMP home electric service which does not have enough capacity remaining to support a 100 AMP dedicated circuit for the HPWC. But those same customers might want the second charger so that they can take advantage of 80 AMP charging at the Tesla service centers and galleries. I have found this to be the case in my Model S Performance on several occasions.

With best regards,

Todd R. Lockwood

Meh. My car ends up being $1900 more than before and now it will have parking sensors. I had to pay $2500 instead of $1500 for the panoramic roof but that's about it. For our build it actually was great to not have to pay for all that leather on the doors, dash and alcantara on the seats and headliner. My wife is very against all of that leather and it's going to take everything I have to get her to just accept the leather seats instead of textile. So because the base price is lower and then you add in all that leather it's really not going to affect us much at all.

I also didn't care about the lighting ($1000) or Fog Lights ($500) but the Upgraded Sound System is the only thing I'm on the fence about right now. $2500? I don't think they redesigned it at all and it used to be $950. At $950 I was on the fence about it because on our test drive I though my 12 year old Bose system sounded better in our current car. If it's the same stereo as before then I'll actually end up saving money on the a la carte options by eliminating things I didn't want in the first place and yet I still get the parking sensors!

And the carbon fiber spoiler for $1500? That saved an argument as well. My wfe hated the old spoiler. I liked it. My son hated it. I told her, hell, it's free. Let's just get it. Well at $1500 I don't want it at all so that's off the table as well.

I'm liking this redesign!

Tommy, not sure how you're car only costs $1900 more when the free spoiler from before now costs $1500 of that $1900...I'm assuming you have a P, and if so, you got over $10K in goodies for free which now are not....

Tommy, not sure how you're car only costs $1900 more when the free spoiler from before now costs $1500 of that $1900...I'm assuming you have a P, and if so, you got over $10K in goodies for free which now are not....

As-built old price was $104,070 and price built this morning is $105,970 for a difference of $1900 to me. I think I know what you're getting at - on my old build I had a carbon fiber spoiler and now I don't so that's $1500 right there. On the old build I had leather everywhere and now it's just the seats - that's $4000 right there. Etc.

But I didn't want the spoiler, and the leather everywhere bugged my wife, and the base of the car without all of that included went down so the actual items I wanted like the panoramic roof, stereo and parking sensors added just a little to my costs.

The overall difference to me on the options I needed and wanted was only $1900. Now if I can find out that the stereo hasn't changed then there's another $1600 I can eliminate so the cost to me of the a la carte options will be almost completely negligible. Of course I won't have the "upgraded sound stuido" that I would have had in the old build but maybe that's for the best.

I don't look at it as what I lost, but what I get. I know it's odd.

As-built old price was $104,070 and price built this morning is $105,970 for a difference of $1900 to me. I think I know what you're getting at - on my old build I had a carbon fiber spoiler and now I don't so that's $1500 right there. On the old build I had leather everywhere and now it's just the seats - that's $4000 right there. Etc.

But I didn't want the spoiler, and the leather everywhere bugged my wife, and the base of the car without all of that included went down so the actual items I wanted like the panoramic roof, stereo and parking sensors added just a little to my costs.

The overall difference to me on the options I needed and wanted was only $1900. Now if I can find out that the stereo hasn't changed then there's another $1600 I can eliminate so the cost to me of the a la carte options will be almost completely negligible. Of course I won't have the "upgraded sound stuido" that I would have had in the old build but maybe that's for the best.

I don't look at it as what I lost, but what I get. I know it's odd.

Now now Tommy, that's not apples to apples, as you've pointed out, apples to apples would be well in excess of 10K more. Just because you got options you don't want doesn't matter, we are comparing apples to apples ;).

Again, the base price of the P DID NOT come down because now the P is simply the S85 with the high output inverter. Before P's came with full leather, alcantara headliner and seats, air suspension etc....

I read it that way too, just a software upgrade - and an expensive one at that.

There might have been hardware changes, but regardless, I've got a little audio-engineering background and it is NOT CHEAP to do this sort of acoustic tuning. It's remarkably harder to get it right in a car... (Easier to "tune" a room)

How much would you pay someone to set up a home theater system and tune it just right for the exact shape size and space of your living room? I think that's a fair comparison... Any seasoned audio engineer can correct me if I'm wrong... (I don't work in the US market anyway...)

There might have been hardware changes, but regardless, I've got a little audio-engineering background and it is NOT CHEAP to do this sort of acoustic tuning. It's remarkably harder to get it right in a car... (Easier to "tune" a room)

How much would you pay someone to set up a home theater system and tune it just right for the exact shape size and space of your living room? I think that's a fair comparison... Any seasoned audio engineer can correct me if I'm wrong... (I don't work in the US market anyway...)

I'm not an audio engineer so that may well be right, that said, what was advertised, and what I bought, was described the same way...if its a software change, it should role out to people who purchased the original Sound Studio Package...obviously the hardware can't be, but certainly the software should be, in my opinion.