Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not an audio engineer so that may well be right, that said, what was advertised, and what I bought, was described the same way...if its a software change, it should role out to people who purchased the original Sound Studio Package...obviously the hardware can't be, but certainly the software should be, in my opinion.

Or at least they should be able to roll out a 30 day demo, and then you can decide if you want to buy the software upgrade.

I'm not an audio engineer so that may well be right, that said, what was advertised, and what I bought, was described the same way...if its a software change, it should role out to people who purchased the original Sound Studio Package...obviously the hardware can't be, but certainly the software should be, in my opinion.

For free? I disagree. There are definitely costs involved in the tuning - you have to get and set up specific microphones etc. etc. at each listening point (each seat) as well as all the other equipment etc. and do it without interference and all that jazz if you want to do it correctly, properly, and well.

For the consumer - the resulting software might just seem like a bunch of code but if you think that way, then you'll start supporting piracy of movies too.
Should a movie sequel be sent to you simply cause you already paid for the first movie? It seems like just a few gigabytes of data on a disc right? Heck you could just download it off the net so why not just ignore the effort and cost and time (usually 3 years worth) that it took to make that sequel?

I'm just using an analogy here... But of course nobody here seems to know exactly what Tesla did with that option anyway...

Personally, I must say I very much like what they have done. Let me explain......

I haven't bought mine yet - was waiting for parking sensors etc, but I am THRILLED about the new level of customization. It all comes down to getting the car I want, not the car I have to get......

For instance, I want the alcantara and the performance seats... previously in order to get that I was forced to also buy the P85 when really I wanted the S85 (just don't need the extra performance or the price to boot)

so my car the way I want it is now 93750 after tax credit, when previously it was 103ish (can't go back to check....)

My car will be:

S85
standard wheels,
no pano roof,
tech,
lighting,
parking,
air suspension,
leather performance seats,
sound upgrade,
leather dash,
alcantara,
rear seats,
fog lamps,
in black with obeche Matt ,

To get this combo before was more money. Simply put because I was forced to get things I didn't want in order to have the ones I did.

you have to look at the car you want not just add up everything. I also think many might be happy to be able to get the performance of the P85 CHEAPER than before by not having to get all the previous options? It's all really a matter of individual priorities.

When I ordered my car it was supposed to come with fog lights, but they were excluded without any notice. Now they are back as a $500 option. I would have liked to have them as originally planned. Oh well. What is nice is that by getting my S in the first year of production I saved almost $6,000. That's a huge amount for me.

Personally, I must say I very much like what they have done. Let me explain......

I haven't bought mine yet - was waiting for parking sensors etc, but I am THRILLED about the new level of customization. It all comes down to getting the car I want, not the car I have to get......

For instance, I want the alcantara and the performance seats... previously in order to get that I was forced to also buy the P85 when really I wanted the S85 (just don't need the extra performance or the price to boot)

so my car the way I want it is now 93750 after tax credit, when previously it was 103ish (can't go back to check....)

My car will be:

S85
standard wheels,
no pano roof,
tech,
lighting,
parking,
air suspension,
leather performance seats,
sound upgrade,
leather dash,
alcantara,
rear seats,
fog lamps,
in black with obeche Matt ,

To get this combo before was more money. Simply put because I was forced to get things I didn't want in order to have the ones I did.

you have to look at the car you want not just add up everything. I also think many might be happy to be able to get the performance of the P85 CHEAPER than before by not having to get all the previous options? It's all really a matter of individual priorities.

Cannot be, you couldn't configure a standard 85 for that price...i have a maxed out loaded S85 except for back seats, loaded, and it was 90k. Valid last point on the P85 btw...very valid.

- - - Updated - - -

. What is nice is that by getting my S in the first year of production I saved almost $6,000. That's a huge amount for me.

That's a big amount for anyone, 6K is 6k (or 10 in my case), early adopter discount.

@studiojohn, that's a very good way of looking at it. I would also add that if I was in the market for a S/P85 or plus with all leather, sunroof, lighting, alcantara, spoiler, fogs, obeche/CF -- I would go out today and try to snatch one off of eBay, store demo, or service center loaner at the old pricing and packaging structure... Unless they decide to jack up prices on those used cars also. You would save almost $20-30k.

image.jpg

This is my config. FYI.

What are "performance seats"? Look under "Interior", pick one of the Nappa Leathers, and you see a checkbox for "Performance Seats" --- no explanation on the page, and the photo doesn't look different. Anybody know?
I'm anxious to know as well. Clearly the performance seats have the contrasting or red piping that we're familiar with -- Would love to have a seat with more bolstering, but that doesn't look like what we're getting here. $1K extra for the piping seems extreme, though.

Oh, I see the Alcantara on the bolsters and below the headrest as well. Pretty much like the old seats then.

He previously had a P85 ordered (but didn't really want one) - hence the > $100k price.

Thats right. In order to get what I wanted on the interior, I was forced to buy the P85 when I am happy to have "just" the humble S85.....

- - - Updated - - -

I'm anxious to know as well. Clearly the performance seats have the contrasting or red piping that we're familiar with -- Would love to have a seat with more bolstering, but that doesn't look like what we're getting here. $1K extra for the piping seems extreme, though.

They also have the alcantara inserts,which make them much less slippery. I have driven both for several days and much preferred the seats from the P85.... Now the "performance seats".

Car configured as I'd want it now is 125k, sheesh. I hope the sensors and rear heating is available as a retrofit. It's decently priced as is, so maybe that means a retrofit wouldn't be insane.

y3utaqym.jpg

Oh where, oh where is that thread from way back when Model S options were released and everyone was upset that things were bundled and they wanted to be able to pick and choose? Remember back?

This is what everyone asked for, demanded.

It's a good thing. :)

Also for perspective, how about this:

Mercedes S550 (regular version without options) starts at 91k...
Mercedes S63 (AMG performance version, still slower than model S P85) starts at 140k without options.

Porsche Panamera S starts at 93k before options.
panamera Turbo 141k before options.

ICE manufacturers make you pay real money for the kind of performance of P85.

Tesla all the way for me!

Also I'm with Bonnie. Options are good. You can have what you want. Thanks Elon!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, but this is not just an academic exercise. He is saving $10k of real life money and finally getting the car he wanted in the first place. This is not a bad thing.

Thanks Deonb...... Exactly my point. If everything is bundled then you end up buying things you don't really want in order to get the things you can't live without. I think relatively few people really just want absolutely everything. They want the things they want.

I suspect a lot of P85 cars were sold to people who wanted the upgraded interior, for instance.

In the real world fully customizable is much better IMHO.

Outside the price going up this is all good news. More options, more choices. Not many packages which I really don't like.

And even the price increases on the different options is good for Tesla, as they can make more money to do more stuff, which in the long run will be good for all of us as well, assuming people still buy the options. I for one would not have chosen the sound studio for the new price. I was on the edge at $950 but ended up getting it anyway. I also probably wouldn't have gotten the jump seats for $2500, but I did for $1500. I think overall they will pull in more profit and obviously they do too or they wouldn't have made the changes.

Oh where, oh where is that thread from way back when Model S options were released and everyone was upset that things were bundled and they wanted to be able to pick and choose? Remember back?

This is what everyone asked for, demanded.

It's a good thing. :)

I love what Tesla is doing with the a-la-carte approach. For us who have had the car for a while, we can consider ourselves lucky to have had some of these options bundled in for free or at a lower cost. It also makes our cars worth more, I think.

As an investor, I think this is great too. Tesla can increase the price because the car is that good and there are always enough people who are willing to pay the price. That's how the free market works.

And, more money to Tesla means more products, faster from the company. World dominance, go Tesla!

If the upgraded tires really are a good for range as they list, then including those is a good deal for the 85kWh ($1K option price and ~$400 difference at tirerack from the stock Eagles). Those will almost certainly be the tires I pick up when I need to replace my current set.