Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desperate cry from customer moving to Canada – Note to Tesla, Inc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Tesla (Elon) – Please kindly take a few minutes to put yourself in the shoes of a dedicated and loyal customer.

We were young professionals in September 2016 when we bought our Model S 60D (now a 75D) in Arizona. It was a big deal for us to spend that kind of money on our car but we very proudly did so. The product and the mission of your company made it totally worthwhile. Since then, I’ve been talking up your vehicles to whoever would listen. I also regularly let people try my car and it was a very special day when my newborn son took his first car ride in an electric vehicle. I remain hopeful that he will never travel in gas vehicle.

Most recently, I received a promotion with my work that involves a transfer to Canada. I never thought twice about bringing my Model S with me, it was a given. In fact, my HR department told me that most people that move from the US to Canada bring with their car with them. Importing a vehicle with a work transfer, they told me, is a fairly easy process – just call the border before you’re about to cross and cross on a weekday.

Well, little did I know five days before my car is scheduled to be picked up and shipped north that a Tesla is one of the rare cars that can’t be imported to Canada – and not for regulatory reasons, simply because Tesla won’t allow it.

So what do I do now? Sell my beloved car and get pennies on the dollar? Do you really think that will get me to buy a brand new Tesla in Canada? Do you think I will ever buy a Tesla again given the frustration, disappointment, and overall trouble this is causing me?

David Zinno, a Tesla Ownership Adviser I’ve been in touch with in Canada, has been very helpful and understanding of my situation. Sadly, the trade in value of USD 36,700.00 offered is a complete joke. And although I’m quite interested in upgrading to a Model X given we have a second child on the way, the timing to make such a purchase really doesn’t work for me from a financial perspective.

If all you care about is money right now, my offer to you is to pay you CAD 5,000.00 to make my car Canada importable. This $5,000 would be close to a net profit for you and it would lead to me not having to fire sell my car and further depress the US used Model S market.

Please kindly consider my offer. You’ve alienated me as a customer but you still have the chance to make a bit of money and not put another used Model S on the market.

Sincerely,
Samuel Giraud
+1-520-391-0948
VIN: 5YJSA1E21GF157201

Nicely worded letter. Sorry about your situation, and I hope you get some resolution. I don't know the reason for the ban, whether it is a regulatory/legal issue, or if they historically were trying to avoid people trying to buy in one country or another because of pricing.

Again, good luck!

Reactions: Canuck and CarSam
I wonder what triggers Tesla to decide you have moved the car permanently? Obviously cars from the US go there all the time. If I were to go, say, stay in Canada for the summer, would they stop my car from working at some point? If I didn't register the car there, and kept my address in my Tesla account in the US, at what point would it become an issue for them?

I know, they know where the car is located at all times, but at what point would they do something about it?

I wonder what triggers Tesla to decide you have moved the car permanently? Obviously cars from the US go there all the time. If I were to go, say, stay in Canada for the summer, would they stop my car from working at some point? If I didn't register the car there, and kept my address in my Tesla account in the US, at what point would it become an issue for them?

I know, they know where the car is located at all times, but at what point would they do something about it?

I think the problem is that it can’t be registered and insured in Canada. My understand is that you can import a Canadian Model S to the states so if you are thinking of relocating to Canada at all then it would be better to purchase in Canada in the first place.

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX
Long time ago I was able to drive my rental car from the US to Canada. Why can't you drive your car to Canada on free electricity and keep the car there with US license plate? Would that be a problem?
You could do that for the short term but when relocating, there are probably laws which require the car to be registered and insured locally. In my state, I believe you have 30 days to register (unless you are a temporary resident, such as a student). If you don't register and are caught, they can issue a $1000 fine.

You could do that for the short term but when relocating, there are probably laws which require the car to be registered and insured locally. In my state, I believe you have 30 days to register (unless you are a temporary resident, such as a student). If you don't register and are caught, they can issue a $1000 fine.
That's right. I can't insure the car in Canada. And my US insurer won't insure me without a US address.

Sorry, it's Tesla policy to milk Canadians, and your inability to import your Tesla into Canada is an unfortunate side-effect.

How would this policy assist them in milking Canadians?

Aside from that, this is about the strangest Tesla thread I've ever read. What on earth would give Tesla the power to tell the Canadian govt what to do with their products in the aftermarket? And why on earth would the Cdn govt care or enforce that? Truly strange.

At any rate... I know this lady who had Arizona plates on her car, and lived here without changing them for over 5 years. Apparently insurance is cheap in AZ. She got pulled over a few times, but every time she just giggled and smiled at the cop and nothing ever came out of it. The only issue I could see would be getting through customs. That could be a problem.

Finally -- not sure if you've been down this road, but why don't you call Transport Canada and see what can be done -- 1-800-333-0371. I read a bit about it elsewhere, and it looks like the issue may be regulatory -- something about seatbelts and it being not in Metric. Can't hurt to call them and find out the deal.

Last edited:
Aside from that, this is about the strangest Tesla thread I've ever read. What on earth would give Tesla the power to tell the Canadian govt what to do with their products in the aftermarket? And why on earth would the Cdn govt care or enforce that? Truly strange.

That dose sound strange to me too. The only reason I can think of is US spec'd Tesla cars do not meet certain Canadian safety or other regulatory standards. Either way I'm pretty turned off by op's accusation of this is for Tesla to milk Canadians. I wouldn't blame Tesla if it got turned off by that too. Not appropriate to say that if you are seeking help for them.

Last edited:
There are some trivial (and stupid) differences between US and Canadian cars. Although I honestly don't understand why, with a Tesla, it's any more than flipping a virtual switch that changes the way the lights / immobilizer / instrument panel behave.

Last edited:
I think the major differences are KM vs miles in the dash (easy), red seat belt release buttons, and always-on DRLs.

From what I recall in other threads on this issue, there is an approved list of cars that can be imported into Canada. Teslas are not on the list. Canada is open and willing to put Tesla on the list, but for some reason, Tesla is not (at this point) willing to work with the Canada government to put Tesla on the list. I don't think it has to do with specific hardware requirements, as most US cars already conform (or are trivial to change with software). And it's not about milking Canadian customers. I think it's just Tesla doesn't have the desire and/or the resources required to give Canada what they want to add Tesla to the list. I don't think it's a conspiracy.

I think the major differences are KM vs miles in the dash (easy), red seat belt release buttons, and always-on DRLs.

From what I recall in other threads on this issue, there is an approved list of cars that can be imported into Canada. Teslas are not on the list. Canada is open and willing to put Tesla on the list, but for some reason, Tesla is not (at this point) willing to work with the Canada government to put Tesla on the list. I don't think it has to do with specific hardware requirements, as most US cars already conform (or are trivial to change with software). And it's not about milking Canadian customers. I think it's just Tesla doesn't have the desire and/or the resources required to give Canada what they want to add Tesla to the list. I don't think it's a conspiracy.

Right. But I think if someone made the necessary seat belt modification to their car, I'd imagine Transport Canada would issue them a permit. I don't know for sure, but Tesla IS importing tons of cars into Canada (I *think* we're the second largest NA market after CA), so it clearly can be done without too much fuss or bother. That's why I suggested he give them a call directly and see what can be done.

Perhaps visor warnings need to be bilingual but you'd think they could provide a sticker or swap out visors, if necessary. We noticed with the Model 3 that it already has the red seat belt buttons so you'd think they would be that much easier to import.

I really wish they would let us change a few more settings, such as language, even if the language isn't the official language of the country. I don't know why the US only gets English but other countries can select from multiple official languages. It would be a pretty simple update to allow Canadian English/French on US cars, for example. I can understand they might not translate everything for every release or feature into every language but I assume it would just default to English if there was no translation available.