Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Details Model 3 interior walk-through

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla employees are under tremendous pressure not to disclose anything. I think it is starting to borderline on extreme. Kind of sad.

Elon is treating these employee / family purchased vehicles like beta units where nothing about them should be disclosed.
Evidence for this treatment? Other than your opinion?

The only evidence we have is from the father of an employee who denied any pressure whatsoever. But don't let facts get in the way of the narrative you're pushing.

Sorry to be snarky everyone but the negativity is just unbelievable. To expect a fully polished, completed Model 3 in such a short period of time is UNHEARD OF. If the problems are personal preferences and software development issues, I think most REASONABLE people will be ecstatic.

Based upon your use of this feature?
Based on common sense. Having to take your eyes off the road to adjust your wipers is just plain stupid. And since the rain detecting autowiper feature has been promised to model S drivers for 2? Years and still no sign of it i'm not holding my breath for Tesla to ever get that right without adding a proper rain sensor.

I can see another way the existing model 3 stalk would be much more practical IMO than what was seen in the video. Touch the wiper button on the end of the stalk and for the next 5 seconds the scroll wheel(s) on the wheel become wiper/washer controls. That would keep the anti-button/knob minimalists happy, and mean you would not need to take hands of the wheel or eyes off the road to turn the wipers on or adjust speed.

The only evidence we have is from the father of an employee who denied any pressure whatsoever. But don't let facts get in the way of the .

The Tesla employees are under tremendous pressure not to disclose anything.

Elon Musk August 02, 2017

"We're not promoting the car. If you go to our stores, we don't even want to talk about it, really, because we want to talk about the thing that we can supply," Musk said on a company earnings call with analysts on Wednesday, Aug. 2.

Essentially, customers are told to go online if they want to learn more about the Model 3.

"I want to emphasize you can't see the car unless you want to look at pictures online," Musk said
. "You can't test drive a car. You have to put down a $1,000 deposit."

• Disagree
Reactions: 4x14ers
Sorry to be snarky everyone but the negativity is just unbelievable. To expect a fully polished, completed Model 3 in such a short period of time is UNHEARD OF. If the problems are personal preferences and software development issues, I think most REASONABLE people will be ecstatic.
I think I am reasonably patient and understanding of Tesla's current ramp.... But these expectations simply come from Elon.

The only evidence we have is from the father of an employee who denied any pressure whatsoever. But don't let facts get in the way of the narrative you're pushing.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this vehicle is going to be awesome. I am just hoping they get some of these minor issues resolved before Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, etc get their hands on a M3 and pan it for the user interface. The wiper setup in this video would definitely be a PITA without a rain-sensing feature.

The Tesla employees are under tremendous pressure not to disclose anything. I think it is starting to borderline on extreme. Kind of sad.

Elon is treating these employee / family purchased vehicles like beta units where nothing about them should be disclosed.

Let me call it frankly: FUD and BS.

Personally I think that video was removed because it contains Tesla's worker during delivery process.
They have a standing policy about that for a long long time. No such videos are allowed with Model S, Model X, and now with Model 3...

Let me call it frankly: FUD and BS.

Personally I think that video was removed because it contains Tesla's worker during delivery process.
They have a standing policy about that for a long long time. No such videos are allowed with Model S, Model X, and now with Model 3...

BS
Let me call it frankly: FUD and BS
. There are HUNDREDS of Tesla delivery videos (Model S & Model X) on YouTube and there has been no rush to remove them.

The removed Model 3 video to-date, was one of the few videos online anywhere that provided clear detail about the Model 3 HVAC system, the premium audio, the center screen, the inside door opening process - actuator (all doors), current alignment of door and panels (QA), and current production VIN.

Self Inflicted Damage
Tesla could solve
this very easily by publishing a Model 3 feature and functionality video for those who reserved the Model 3 over a year ago. Tesla (Elon) teased the public with the release event and gave Motor Trend access to the Model 3. Musk uses the media to serve his purposes, holds reservations of customers for over 15 months, and does not appreciate that people want to understand more about what they will be purchasing and how it works.

Marketing for the Investors Not the Customers
I feel the release event was done PRIMARILY to signal to the market that Musk could meet his projected delivery dates for the Model 3 and prepare the market for future stock offerings.

Musk emphasized the released vehicles were production vehicles but it is clear these examples should not be subject to public scrutiny. This would be the equivalent of the IPhone 8 being delivered to customers but an embargo placed on any social media posting or testing (bend test, scratch test, etc.) until Apple QA dictates.

Model Y, Tesla Trucks, Boring Company, and Space X
Tesla (Elon Musk) has been making public statements about a host of future concepts and initiatives by his own choice. As CEO,. he has chosen to prioritize activity within his company. If he wants to quell interest in the Model 3, he can start by stop taking reservations and focus on communicating basic information better to existing customers. Using employees and their families as Beta testers and expecting them to maintain 'radio silence' may have been a bit naïve upon reflection.

Sorry to be snarky everyone but the negativity is just unbelievable. To expect a fully polished, completed Model 3 in such a short period of time is UNHEARD OF.

If there is any negativity, maybe.... just maybe it rests at the feet of Elon Musk. I don't expect a fully polished and error free Model 3 at this time. Tesla is trying to skip Beta testing and move directly to production and he should be applauded for challenging traditional production methods.

We live in a social media world where people publish everything that touches their lives (the good and the bad). Maybe Tesla beta testing should be conducted differently in future.

Last edited:
I believe I'd want my rear pax to have a better way out than diving into the front and hunting for the manual releases there.
In my Bonanza, there's three ways out of the cabin. The main door that open onto the two front seats (the backs folded to allow you to step down into the middle row), a large double door that allow access to the big cargo bay (where you could also have seats 5 and 6, but I took those out to maximize space and turn it into a flying station wagon), and the windows that flank the middle two seats. Always briefed passengers on how to get out if they needed to, but the Feds decided, based on some slow fires that consumed a few Bonanzas and killed the middle row pax, that they needed something more than just a briefing. So they issued an airworthiness directive (AD), that required Bonanzas to be modified by putting an EMERGENCY EXIT placard on the handle that popped those middle windows and painting the release pin red. Pull the pin, push the window and dive out of the airplane.
AD's as the saying goes, are written in blood.
Build enough Model 3's and eventually you'll have people caught in a situation where they're clawing at the back door handle, pushing and pulling, maybe trying to kick the glass out, and not making it. It's one thing to discover a design flaw and fix it. It's another to know about it and do nothing.
Gasoline is dangerous stuff (and I carried 107 gallons of it)., But Li ion batteries can be dangerous, too. I wonder if there might be an "AD" from NHTSA - or a recall - in Tesla's future.
Robin

Reactions: AlanSqB

Tremendous pressure? Nah, just an additional NDA on top of their original NDA as part of their employment. In the tech world, this is routine. I'm not saying there aren't folks who aren't fighting tremendous urges to leak stuff. In your other post you mentioned Apple products - they do pretty much the same thing.

Is it a "beta test"? I think that's an old-fashioned way of categorizing it, but sure, it's a phased rollout - and employees are active, knowing and willing participants of the "beta test". Not just to get a car, but to make the car better.

There are a lot of things at play here, including ironing out the delivery process, refining the documentation/videos based on employee feedback, testing software updates, gathering driving and charge data, etc. The Model 3 isn't just the car itself, it's the factory that makes it, the network it's on, the data it produces, the way it's delivered and serviced. If you think of it like developing software (which I've heard that Tesla does), it's like building "Continuous Delivery" pipeline, and that takes work too. No doubt, every employee Model 3 delivery is helping to improve all these things - continuous improvement through feedback and adaptation.

All that said, your posts make it sound as if it's Tesla Corporation versus the Tesla employees - just because they're not sharing as much information as we'd all like to have. When it comes to that Austin delivery video, I can see why both Tesla and the the Tesla employee himself would not want that on the open-web, what with his limited information and some obvious mistakes. Clearly, he hadn't been trained on the new vehicle yet.