Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Details Model 3 interior walk-through

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think they are likely to fit an extra/different stalk or a HUD or instrument binacle by february ? Because thats the only way I see changing a fundmental design choice they have made to move all controls and visual feedback to a touchscreen in the centre of the car.

And it wasn't me that started calling these unfinished cars production cars, that is on Tesla.

Where does February keep coming from? Customer deliveries start next month, which starts in 5 days.

You think they are likely to fit an extra/different stalk or a HUD or instrument binacle by february ? Because thats the only way I see changing a fundmental design choice they have made to move all controls and visual feedback to a touchscreen in the centre of the car.

And it wasn't me that started calling these unfinished cars production cars, that is on Tesla.

I'd just keep and open mind and see what it's like as a whole experience. I totally get that it's a huge shift from how we do things currently, but people will adjust and adapt. Muscle memory will kick in and eventually you'll be navigating the touch screen blindly.

Their design is certainly geared more towards autonomous driving, which simply might mean their design is currently ahead of the car's capabilities. But a few years from now, if the Model 3 is able to operate in level 3+ mode, we might be thankful that we don't have gauges, HUDs, masses of buttons and stalks, etc. cluttering the environment in front of us.

But like I said, judge it based on the actual driving experience, as the sum of its parts, and not on the specific parts alone. The BRZ, for example, got a LOT of crap early on for sporting a 200hp motor and touting it as a sports car, but when people starting getting their hands on it they loved the whole experience and gushed over what a good driving experience it was. Sometimes the sum ends up being more than just the parts.

I'm surprised you're flying kiwi! Those planes are so full of bullsheep gimicktry and those seats are so uncomfortable. And that EAP is so unreliable, you will be lucky if you don't land in Somalia.

Sadly this time I will be in sardine class as my travelling companions didn't want to spring for seats at the pointy end, so the seats wont be all that good, but the IFE actually has a good user interface, physical buttons for the essentials like pause and play and volume, they don't hide the controls under the seat like Tesla would, good Panasonic engineering! And a button for summoning lovely Air NZ flight crew to ply me with booze. I think i'll survive.

Yet the very reply you quoted in this post was T34me stating that he has been unable to learn how to operate a very tactile windscreen wiper control stalk without looking at it after what I have to assume is at least several months of operating his car. Now you expect him to do b7etter using a flat non-tactile touchscreen while driving on a bumpy road? Gimme a break.
You are misinterpreting what I am saying. I have both a tactile stalk and a U.I. on my current car. It is easier to make adjustments on the U.I. than on a tactile stalk - easier to see, use, and learn - even on a bumpy road . Give me a break, try it first before making an 'a priori' conviction.

You are misinterpreting what I am saying. I have both a tactile stalk and a U.I. on my current car. It is easier to make adjustments on the U.I. tha on a tactile stalk - easier to see, use, and learn - even on a bumpy road . Give me a break, try it first before making an 'a priori' conviction.

Well its very obvious our brains work very differently then, I do have a touchscreen in my current car, luckily nothing critical is controlled from it as it is a pain in the ass to operate on less than perfect roads, (not helped by moderately sporty suspension), which is probably why Honda provided a little 4 way joystick below it.

The thing with tactile controls is you don't need to see them. I certainly don't look at the gearstick, handbrake, indicator stalk or headlight stalk to operate any of them, not after the first couple of days (if that) of driving a car. Adjusting the aircon temp or fan speed in my car requires looking, as there is no adequate tactile feedback from the temp buttons or the touchscreen that you have found the right spot, the temp up and down button are side by side and not dimpled in any way so without looking I can't reliably be sure which one i'm hitting, even after owning the car for nearly 4 years.

Without the tactile feedback it is very hard to learn where exactly it is relation to your seating position. Your brain learns approximate positions then does final guidance based on tactile feedback. Your little finger touches the wiper stalk first, your brain knows your hand is high and adjusts trajectory down ward so you end up in the right place. Your index finger touches a flat bit of glass an inch too high.. no useful feedback as that bit of glass feels just like the other bit.

It would be quite interesting to conduct an experiment in a car like mine, sit the regular driver in the car and blindfold them and randomly give them instructions to turn the volume knob up or down and touch the icon on the touchscreen they use most often.. i would bet their success rate on the volume knob is >95%, but they miss a similarly sized icon on the touch screen at least 40% of the time.

I hope you enjoy the experience, in as much as you've made it clear how bad you expect using the touchscreen will be.

Thanks, I will enjoy the experience, i'm planning on renting a Model S for a few days to try the electric car experience, and we're hitting Vegas too.

With my expectations so low the real experience can only be an improvement right? Its in Tesla's ballpark to show me this fantastic polished and super easy to use UI. They've got 4 months for me, but as others have pointed out, they have mere weeks for early reservation holders in the USA.

Unfortunately I doubt i'll be able to wrangle an overnight test drive of a model 3 so I'll still have to speculate and read early buyers feedback on what it's like to live with at night, which is my other major concern. Having everything on a large glare factor LCD screen in your peripheral vision that you can't turn off because it is your only instrument panel could be a major PITA. If you spend your life in a big bright city this is something you may never notice, but if like me you spend time out of city when the sky is pitch black (moonless night in dark sky reserve) and the only light for miles is your headlights this is a major irritation.

I know you and others don't like me raising these concerns and think i'm bitching cos i'm short on TSLA or something (i'm not), but these aren't just resistance to change, these are based on real world experience with analogous technologies in my current car and other cars I have driven and the annoyance/discomfort I've experienced from them.

The current interior design, minus the entire steering column would probably be fantastic for a car that was entirely self-driving 100% of the time, but that car is still 2-10 years away at best, and is not the car they are selling today

Well its very obvious our brains work very differently .
If your theory is true , then I will respectfully repeat that a model 3 appears not appropriate for you. Save yourself some anguish and purchase something with which you will be more comfortable. Hopefully there will be several new EVs to choose from in a few years . Perhaps one of those will suit your needs better.

Usually, one shouldn't criticize until they've actually personally experienced. Otherwise one might say the person is talking out their you know what and thusly should be ignored.

When it comes to critzising details I would fully agree with you.
But when it comes to general design choices like hiding functions that are usually available at the touch of a button/knob/stalk inside a menu on a touchscreen, necessitating several steps in accessing said functions versus simply pushing one button/knob/stalk, I feel quite entitled to critizise such a design choice before actually experiencing it in detail.

By the way, it is not as if I have no experience with Tesla UIs. I have test driven two Model S's and have had the chance to play with the current Model X UI a few weeks ago at our local store for more than one hour.
Even though the UI is certainly fast and as quite streamlined (not as much as possible imho, but not bad either), some things are still more complicated and take more steps than in a traditional car. And when it comes to changing things like wiper speed on the go, I really would prefer such a function to be accessible sight unseen by the touch of a stalk rather than inside some menu on a touchscreen.

I am not saying this would be a dealbreaker to me. But critizising the design choice of "over-reduction" when it comes to physical controls must be allowed. I am sure my critizising such a thing will not result in any relevant medium jumping on my comment and using it to thrash Tesla. Perhaps in the US, the media are like lions/hyenas waiting to jump at any likely victim at any time, I don't know. Over here, most of our media tend to take a much more balanced approach when it comes to such things.

Reactions: N5329K
Model S owner for 2.5 years.

Wiper speed on the touchscreen is not ideal. Autowipers on AP1 work fine and I never adjust them. Not everyone agrees with that assessment. AP2 will eventually get the autowiping correct and this will be a non issue.

A/C temp is nearly always a look - whether it is physical button or touchscreen. For awhile, I had it set for my steering control and it was more convenient than any other car on the market (that I know of). I changed it to sunroof but I really should change it back. But honestly I don't change the temp that much - compared to other cars I have had (I am a greenie so my closest comparable was a 545 a while back).

Now music selection on touchscreen is the biggest distractor. I haven't had a car that had complex streaming options without using a touchscreen so this is hard to evaluate. Sure voice works great but not to get to my folders etc. This is not particularly easy to solve. A bumpy road does favor a joystick I suppose.

Now how many cars allow backstreet drivers control of the music with a mouse? That has been great for me and my 7 year old.
The large touchscreen for NAV is fantastic - I have multiple route options and the quick glance at traffic is fantastic. Yes I have a phone but the right there all the time is great. Sometimes on trips where I never use Nav, I look over and see an accident (road red/pink) and divert.

Touchscreen allows for software updates and changes. I mean how would they have added GPS enabled homelink without a touchscreen GUI. This was added after I bought my car and now when I am near my garage, a pop up comes up telling me it is going to open the garage - right next to a "SKIP" button in case I don't want to open it - already open, parking outside today or whatever. So don't knock the flexibility of a touchscreen interface. There have been several other changes but that one is everyday.

Overall huge fan of the touchscreen here. Sitting in friend's Porsche or that new Lexus - the buttons look ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as the exhaust sound and shifting on the Porsche to go oh so slow however.

aaaand this video was also forced to be deleted. This is beyond ridiculous now. Is this North Korea??

rehosted here:

"Forced" by whom? Don't attribute to malice that which has perfectly reasonable, less malicious explanations.

If I had to wager a wild guess, it'd be "owner said 'I don't want you making videos in my car' and OCDetailer said 'whoops, sorry' and took them all down."

For the diehard fans or those who desperately want a long range EV, sure. For the average buyer coming from a Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes who does not adore Tesla? No freakin way. They will expect the car to be feature complete at the time of delivery.

If you saw the nitpicking that goes on in the BMW forums over the tiniest bug or gremlin, if they got an M3 missing this many features they would lose their minds.

Sure, that's true. But that's besides the point, because most non-employee customers probably won't see most of these issues since they will probably be fixed by the time they see their cars, including many "die hard" fans. Most average luxury car buyers will decide they want the Model 3 when their die hard friend has it, and they will be waiting until 2018-2019 to get it. The issues will be long gone then.**

**Edit: Except the auto-sensing wipers. The fact AP2 care still don't have this figured out concerns me, especially given the limited physical options for enabling the wipers otherwise.

Last edited: