Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Determining where I can Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daughter is picking up her Tesla S tomorrow. She is generous with the use of her car, and I am wondering about routes and charging. I thought it would be easy to use google or some app where I put in the starting and destination points and generate a route with proper charging stations, or determine that it couldn't be done.

Is there such a thing that I have missed? To start, I would like to have a route from Colorado Springs to Minneapolis. Nebraska looks like a Tesla wasteland. Hope I am wrong.

Two good sites/apps are evtripplanner.com and Plugshare.

Nebraska is tough. What model and battery is she getting and does is she getting the 72 amp charging option?

She could charge in Denver, spend the night in Ogllala, Nebraska and wake up full. Then there are two high amp level two options, one in Gothenburg and one in Aurora.
Those would give about 50-60 miles of range per hour of charge depending on what configuration she has and if she has 72 amp charging or not.

Then she would hit Council Bluffs and Supercharge and then head for one of two 80 amp options in the Des Moines region. Then she is home free.

If all this sounds like too much hassle, she could cross South Dakota instead...full Supercharger coverage.

At this point in the build-out of the Supercharger network through the middle of the U.S., there are sometimes cases where you have to take a slightly different route to stay on the established Supercharger paths. There will be more in the next few years of course. For Colorado Springs to Minneapolis, yeah, don’t try to go through Nebraska. You can go North to Rapid City South Dakota, and then East on I-90, and it should be a breeze.

And yes, get familiar with EvTripPlanner and Plugshare. Those are the one-two punch of owning and using an electric car.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker