Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devaluation of model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all,

My bother in-law bought a new 75D model X back in March and paid 150K. With all price drops he decided to trade in his X for a newer one with more of the upgrades. After contacting a his Tesla sales rep, he didn’t get a reply back from the rep. I have him my sales rep contact info, to see what Options he had. He was told by my rep that today Tesla would buy back his MX for 110K assuming that the vehicle was in mint condition. His MX currently has 13,000kms on it. So in a matter of 6 months or so, his MX value has dropped 40K! This seems rather absurd and disturbing to me. How can a be vehicle depreciate so much in so little time?? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Please share. It’s very upsetting considering Tesla tells you upfront when you purchase the vehicle that you can’t negotiate the price so that “all customers pay the same price” yet if you wait a matter of weeks the price drops and if you taken delivery before the price drop, you are out of luck.
Please share any stories you may have. I think this should be something we owners let Tesla know about.

• Funny
Reactions: Maaz and davidc18
Well, new cars take a hard depreciation regardless but with Tesla innovating and changing things it's drastic now.

Used to be not much depreciation but now they have inventory, not long wait times, and almost updates every quarter.

It does suck as an owner but as a company they keep moving forward. To stay relevant compared to the big automakers who have probably higher R&D budgets they need to innovate.

My suggestion, keep the car and enjoy it. After a few years deprecation will level out and won't hurt as much. Typically trading a brand new car first year of owning is almost as bad as getting a divorce after 3 months but giving your wife 50% of your wealth vs. over 10 years hahha (ok full transparency, that didn't happen to me but someone I know lol)

hi all, My bother in-law bought a new 75D model X back in March and paid 150K. With all price drops he decided to trade in his X for a newer one with more of the upgrades. After contacting a his Tesla sales rep, he didn’t get a reply back from the rep. I have him my sales rep contact info, to see what Options he had. He was told by my rep that today Tesla would buy back his MX for 110K assuming that the vehicle was in mint condition. His MX currently has 13,000kms on it. So in a matter of 6 months or so, his MX value has dropped 40K! This seems rather absurd and disturbing to me. How can a be vehicle depreciate so much in so little time?? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Please share. It’s very upsetting considering Tesla tells you upfront when you purchase the vehicle that you can’t negotiate the price so that “all customers pay the same price” yet if you wait a matter of weeks the price drops and if you taken delivery before the price drop, you are out of luck. Please share any stories you may have. I think this should be something we owners let Tesla know about.

My guess is that you brother in law has never purchased a premium car ... welcome to world of accelerated depreciation.
I would recommend that he adopt a buy and hold strategy going forward :cool:

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that almost all EVs in the US currently have an added factor to drive off depreciation.... the $7500 federal tax credit, which the original owner gets, and the second owner does not. Even more in some states with a state incentive (Colorado for example).

Our Leaf is "underwater" despite being at zero % interest, due to the federal tax credit (and hence why I would encourage anyone financing an EV to get GAP insurance).

I am not even going to try and figure out how underwater our Model X 90D is right now, and truly I don't care.

The only reason I am somewhat upset about the Leaf being under water, is I do want to convert our Leaf to a Model 3.

-Harry

All well said above. The deals are definitely are at EOQ. Note these big discounted inventories didn't really happen until same time last year, at least for the X.

Keep in mind if you fall for Tesla upgrades your new car will also depreciate pretty quickly. For me I'll wait for another 3 years and review the options at that time. It's unlikely I'll get another Tesla.

People are saying they are getting discounts all over the forum for inventory cars. What's the point of custom ordering?
Inventory car might not have the exact configuration you want. For example, exterior color / interior combo / wheels + seats configuration.

However, with discount of $10k upward it's worth it to make some sacrifices.

...How can a be vehicle depreciate so much in so little time?? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?...It’s very upsetting...I think this should be something we owners let Tesla know about.

I'm gonna start a think tank and make you president, @Jabardo. Vice president will be the TMC member who believed Tesla hadn't thought of where to obtain lithium for batteries. With club members on the watch, together we can save Elon from hidden perils which endanger Tesla's existence.