Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devils advocating...from someone who shorted TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That alone will not save the day. Everyone expects just that.

This is a company with 30 billion market cap in an extremely capital intense business. I've always been a long term bear for Tesla and I stick to that. Nobody would believe that we could see the final ATH RIGHT NOW. Optimism is on a maximum. Everyone thinks Tesla will disrupt its industry and crush any competition. Every good news is baked in.

I believe from here you can make a lot of money on the short side. Finally.

You might do o.k. until we start to get closer to Q1 results. Everyone seems to be leaving out the EV credits that will be a large source of revenue in Q1 and Q2. Add that to the increasing profitability of Tesla in general, and Q1 profit numbers are going to look much better than expected, and the stock will jump up again. I hope your timing is good....

This sounds like a rant rather than a reasoned argument. For example, there is nothing but hyperbole with no data. How can you fulminate about charging efficiency of superchargers and not make a comparison with the huge inefficiencies of ICEs? Charging losses of 15% are quoted for AC charging with a rectifier involved, but it would be interesting to know how that scales up to higher DC voltage charging. Too bad you aren't offering any actual numbers. "Just make your own calculation?" Thanks a bunch. This is less than informative or insightful.

Losses expressed in % are negligible though when compared with the factor of 4-5 drop in energy actually applied to the wheels by an ICE powered car. Could it be that physics and mathematics and the ubiquitous presence of electricity are on the side of electric cars?

You might do o.k. until we start to get closer to Q1 results. Everyone seems to be leaving out the EV credits that will be a large source of revenue in Q1 and Q2. Add that to the increasing profitability of Tesla in general, and Q1 profit numbers are going to look much better than expected, and the stock will jump up again. I hope your timing is good....

I guess I don't know enough about these credits. Is there something that makes them a once-a-year sort of thing? I assumed they were pretty much continuous.

Realist, I think you called the bottom this time!

This was a day for the 'shorts'. There will be more good days for Realist, no doubt. I can only hope that there will be more 'long' days, weeks/months.....years, than 'short' ones. Longs and shorts can both make money if they are smart (lucky?). From a personal stand point a day like this hurts, but after the mid Jan to early March run up put my portfolio up close to 100%, I have to accept a day of pain here and there.

I've never shorted a stock so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems like the time to short TSLA would be when it's above 250. When it falls below 190, I'd see that as a buying opportunity (though I didn't) rather than than time to sell (short). Now it's rising again.

I'm more of a buy-and-hold-good-companies guy so I don't have to worry much about timing. I bought at 90 and then more when it dipped down to 118. Good luck.