Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devoted Teslonian now developing a resentment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As several people have mentioned (including me), Elon has already said on Twitter that people who paid $3K for FSD will get a $1K refund:

"If you bought enhanced autopilot, FSD upgrade costs $2k instead of $5k" Elon Musk on Twitter

"Yeah, we need a few days to update the system. If anyone already paid $3k, they should get $1k back." Elon Musk on Twitter

If people choose not to believe plain English and instead continue to get upset over an issue Elon has already addressed, there is nothing I can do to help them.

What I can do is think about how to spend my $2000 FSD windfall from Tesla (we have two Model 3s with FSD).

My current plan is to use it to buy tickets to fly to Greece. I have never been to the Greek islands, and a beach vacation later this year sounds very relaxing.

Another thing I can do is think about the amazing deal I am getting -- only $2K for the FSD package, which also includes a chip upgrade. I thought $3K was a pretty sweet deal -- and this is even better.

Thanks Elon!

Still doesn't get it.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
The way I see it is this ....

The vehicle price changes - well, they are what they are. If they acted like the other car companies and left the MSRP the same but put them “on sale” nobody would complain. I prefer the transparency this way.

So some people may pay different prices for the FSD features, even though they’re packaged differently. That’s what happens every day out in the real world - if I buy a TV now, and then it goes on sale on Black Friday, someone’s going to get a better deal than me. It doesn’t mean I hate LG. That’d just be silly.

You don't get it either.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Tesla could do better by making the discount more fair between the segments. The way they have it now makes 2/3 groups not happy.

For owners with no EAP/FSD
AP ($2k) + FSD ($4K) = $6K

For owners with EAP ($5K+)
FSD ($1k) => $6K+ total out of pocket

For owners with EAP/FSD
Something better than early access. There are lots of things Tesla could give here without costing much money, such as supercharger credit, free AP for next car purchase, etc.

What shocks me Is how daft the people making the decisions at Tesla must be not to see your solution. Makes me scared for the longevity of the company. Or they just don’t care how existing customers feel. Look at Asia.

Hang-on. I decided to purchase FSD in the beginning because there was a definite threat that it was going to cost MORE if I didn't purchase it AT THAT TIME. Which is the same thing they are saying today. "If you don't get it NOW then it will be MORE expensive later".

That has turned out to be a "non truth"

It has turned out to cost LESS.

The price has changed without them producing a single feature that anyone can use.

You mean like Navigate on Autopilot and self parking? Also, if you were technologically literate you'd know that actual self driving is a long, long ways away and what you'd be paying for are small piecemeal convenience features (like HW3 being able to see red lights/stop signs and stop at them. This entitled first world whining is really not very becoming.

There is no getting around it being odd and uncomfortable for new owners to get vaporware at a lower price than early adopters.

That being said, there doesn't appear to be much we can do about it other than not be so inclined to help Tesla on early adoption offerings in the future.

I understand your point, but remember.

You can't take a depreciation hit on something you have never received.
HW 3.0 has been long reported to be a Q1 2019 thing. You paid for an upgrade to HW 3 when that becomes available + the piecemeal features added to autopilot. I've known this for a long, long time. Maybe you should read more and spend less time creating lighted badges?

You mean like Navigate on Autopilot and self parking? Also, if you were technologically literate you'd know that actual self driving is a long, long ways away and what you'd be paying for are small piecemeal convenience features (like HW3 being able to see red lights/stop signs and stop at them. This entitled first world whining is really not very becoming.
LOL...

No I mean like Tesla saying "Hey - you had better buy it now - because it will be more expensive later".

And now its not more expensive...its cheaper ( without them ever delivering anything ).

you know - like that....

and like this: Tesla owners literally protest over drastic price cuts

Reactions: C141medic and SJC3
No it isn't. It's $8K for both combined for new orders. Check the website. I keep on seeing more and more insanity in this thread, and I'm going to try to address it in pieces.

Nope...wrong answer.

I purchased EAP and FSD for $8k.

now EAP and FSD costs $5k if you got the car on the same day I purchased mine.

"Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 "

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
You can keep trying to correct people all you want...you would be wrong.

BTW... I love your name.
Welcome to TMC

Last edited:
Nope...wrong answer.

I purchased EAP and FSD for $8k.

now EAP and FSD costs $5k if you got the car on the same day I purchased mine.

"Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 "

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
You can keep trying to correct people all you want...you would be wrong.

BTW... I love your name.
Welcome to TMC
We're both correct in our own way, but you've been using a feature set all this time that would still cost me $8K since I haven't ordered a car yet - same as you paid. The people that have never had any of the features are being lured by low prices as a means of raising revenue. I still don't see how this matters or why anyone should care. My cell phone dropped $200 about 3 months after release, and prices change all the time on various technology items in response to the market. The value that you place on features should be all that matters, and it's been clear for years that actual FSD is a long, long time away. In the meantime, enjoy NAP, auto-park, and eventually auto-stop at lights/stop signs when you get the free upgrade to HW3.

As several people have mentioned (including me), Elon has already said on Twitter that people who paid $3K for FSD will get a $1K refund:

"If you bought enhanced autopilot, FSD upgrade costs $2k instead of $5k" Elon Musk on Twitter

"Yeah, we need a few days to update the system. If anyone already paid $3k, they should get $1k back." Elon Musk on Twitter

If people choose not to believe plain English and instead continue to get upset over an issue Elon has already addressed, there is nothing I can do to help them.

What I can do is think about how to spend my $2000 FSD windfall from Tesla (we have two Model 3s with FSD).

I'm sorry, but you won't be getting any rebate based on this. It's not a matter of understanding plain English... It's a matter of reading Elon's final sentence and willfully ignoring the context in the discussion above it.

Read the whole thing.

That discussion is explicitly about the announcement of FSD becoming available as an upgrade for $2k on March 2nd. On March 2nd, the web site was still showing an upgrade price of $3k for people who previously bought AP, and Elon said anyone who paid $3k for the upgrade that day would get a refund because the website wasn't updated quick enough.

None of that applies to those of us who bought last year... It only applies to what they were discussing: upgrades purchased at $3k after the announcement of the price drop.

you will prob get priority when the HW3 comes out. Everyone else will prob be in line for replacement for 6-12 months.

Priority? Just like the spoiler I bought last year? the one that's been arriving on new cars?
Priority? like the early access program? Among the last to get track mode and patiently awaiting Sentry and dog mode

I sir have lost faith in fairness ...Based on my experience it would be : HW3 will arrive in new cars for a year or so and Tesla will keep saying, we don't know when you'll get it.

Two more that

1)being promised free supercharging and 5K and I quote:

"The $5000 refund does not remove your supercharging if you request it." .

Best Regards,
Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020

I said wonderful...send the check! ....no response...
later Email asking when? Reply was the above was a mistake and that they didn't know why the previous rep said that, but he was wrong and they would not honor it

2) after being told that unless I paid up front for FSD, I would be charged more later and finding out I would have saved by waiting

Forgive me for not having faith in Tesla treating me fairly but at this point that would really be foolish

say what you want but these are legitimate complaints from a fanboy who has given Tesla almost 200K in the past

Well, I've been thinking a lot about this and I admit it is confusing. However, finally, I think I understand it and sort of have it boiled down to this:

If you stood in line in 2016, put down a deposit and waited over 2 years:

1) and bought P3D+ / lifetime supercharging incentive last year to save money ... you get a financial rectal exam by Andre the Giant

2) and if you also bought EAP and FSD last year to save money.... it is upgraded to a colonoscopy without anesthesia by a drunk freshman medical student

I was overthinking it at first for some reason

Well, I've been thinking a lot about this and I admit it is confusing. However, finally, I think I understand it and sort of have it boiled down to this:

If you stood in line in 2016, put down a deposit and waited over 2 years:

1) and bought P3D+ / lifetime supercharging incentive last year to save money ... you get a financial rectal exam by Andre the Giant

2) and if you also bought EAP and FSD last year to save money.... it is upgraded to a colonoscopy without anesthesia by a drunk freshman medical student

I was overthinking it at first for some reason

3) Same as #2 only you bought EAP but no FSD, upgraded to the same colonoscopy, but you will receive some bonus lube.

• Funny
Reactions: Jbailey and SJC3
Priority? Just like the spoiler I bought last year? the one that's been arriving on new cars?
Priority? like the early access program? Among the last to get track mode and patiently awaiting Sentry and dog mode

I sir have lost faith in fairness ...Based on my experience it would be : HW3 will arrive in new cars for a year or so and Tesla will keep saying, we don't know when you'll get it.

Two more that

Best Regards,
Tesla Support

later Email asking when? Reply was the above was a mistake and that they didn't know why the previous rep said that, but he was wrong and they would not honor it

2) after being told that unless I paid up front for FSD, I would be charged more later and finding out I would have saved by waiting

Forgive me for not having faith in Tesla treating me fairly but at this point that would really be foolish

say what you want but these are legitimate complaints from a fanboy who has given Tesla almost 200K in the past

What I love about Tesla now is that they put things in writing and they someone else cones alone and retracts it. I just went through this with them and I intend to hold them to their commitment.

Two more that

Best Regards,
Tesla Support

Real talk. But hey, no worries - those with Tesla Cool-Aid are receiving a complementary upgrade to Tesla Crack! Now with 5% increase in peak power! No need for spoilers boys and girls! Those sticky one man installations are only going to slow the future down!

• Funny
Reactions: SunCharged
I’m with OP on this one. The stupidity of FSD pre purchasers is the straw for me. I’m just so over them as a company. Love my 3 and X, but I cannot stand then any longer. I’ve been a cheerleader talking to so many people about the car and being a brand evangelist for them all because of my belief in their mission. But I’m just pissed off Bout how they are handling the FSD situation and that it’s going to turn me the other way.

So stupid. I guess I’m just frustrated because I was hoping for an ethical car company that created multiple disruptive products and business models. But the straight lie to my face seals it for me. Ugh. So upset about Tesla right now.