Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that the Vehicle bus is on pins 9 and 10 on the Tesla connector, with pin 9 being CAN high and 10 being low. Those need to be wired to pins 6 and 14 to use most accessories that work with the various apps. I moved the pins around and can confirm I'm getting useful data from Tes*lax

Edit: I'm using the signal profile for 2021 Model 3/Y in the app.
Can you confirm that for a 2022 Model S, if I want SMT to work using an ODBLink LX then I will need to connect wires from pins 9 and 10 on the blue diagnostics connector over to pins 6 and 14 on the OBD2 connector?

Earlier there was a "upon further review" statement that said to use pins 13 and 14. Which should I use?

Please advise, thanks.

FWIW, I tried plugging in the OBDLink LX to the physical OBD2 port on a 2022 Model S LR and it would not work using the Scan My Tesla App. Also tried using an adapter cable that mapped pins 18 and 19 of the Blue Diagnostics connector which also didn't work. I'm debating if I should try moving the adapter pins from 18,19 to either 13,14 or 9,10.
Can you confirm that for a 2022 Model S, if I want SMT to work using an ODBLink LX then I will need to connect wires from pins 9 and 10 on the blue diagnostics connector over to pins 6 and 14 on the OBD2 connector?

Earlier there was a "upon further review" statement that said to use pins 13 and 14. Which should I use?

Please advise, thanks.

On the 2022 Model S, the OBD port has CAN on pins 6 (+) and 14 (-). I'm not sure if there is anything interesting on this bus though, as it seems to be dedicated to the OBD port.

There are two diagnostic CAN connectors...

The large blue one under the screen has:
Vehicle CAN: Pins 9 (+) / 10 (-)
Chassis CAN: Pins 13 (+) / 14 (-)
Sensor (REM) CAN: Pins 18 (+) / 19 (-)

The second 4 pin connector behind the right side of the center console has:
Party CAN: Pins 1 (+) / 2 (-)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mcirish and Krash
From another thread (SMT) on other cable sources. I was looking for a 2022 TMY for one of my kids future delivery.
Hi! I'm using SMT a long time ago. I'm using a harness for M3/Y 2021-2022. The same can't use it for a PLAID? This new harness is OK? Should I remove the phone charger as well to access the connector or is it enough to pop out to cover below the main screen? Thank in advance!

FWIW, I tried plugging in the OBDLink LX to the physical OBD2 port on a 2022 Model S LR and it would not work using the Scan My Tesla App. Also tried using an adapter cable that mapped pins 18 and 19 of the Blue Diagnostics connector which also didn't work. I'm debating if I should try moving the adapter pins from 18,19 to either 13,14 or 9,10.
The OBD port won't work. 2022 Model S and X vehicle bus is on pins 9(high) and 10 of the blue connector under the center display.

The OBD port won't work. 2022 Model S and X vehicle bus is on pins 9(high) and 10 of the blue connector under the center display.
Thanks. I connected to pins 9 and 10 on the blue connector and was able to see some of the signals. There is still a lot missing which makes me think this is not the best CAN bus location to monitor. I wish more to comment on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I connected to pins 9 and 8 on the blue connector and was able to see some of the signals. There is still a lot missing which makes me think this is not the best CAN bus location to monitor. I wish more to comment on this.
I assume you mean 9 & 10? As far as I know, pin 8 is not connected to anything. There are multiple CAN buses. The one on the OBD-II connector is mostly worthless. If you can't find what you want on one CAN bus, you'll have to try the others.

I assume you mean 9 & 10? As far as I know, pin 8 is not connected to anything. There are multiple CAN buses. The one on the OBD-II connector is mostly worthless. If you can't find what you want on one CAN bus, you'll have to try the others.
Correct, I did a typo. 9 & 10 works a little but not much. Also note that when using the ScanMyTesla app, the better results were achieved by telling it the vehicle was a model 3/Y instead of S/X.

I think pins 9 & 10 are the private bus, and not very useful. I only see 4 can codes appear. Pins 18 and 19 are far more interesting than the Vehicle Bus. Not sure if this is what you were looking for. Note that this is now a 500 kbps CAN bus, whereas the older S/X uses 125 kbps.

• Helpful
Reactions: mcirish
I think pins 9 & 10 are the private bus, and not very useful. I only see 4 can codes appear. Pins 18 and 19 are far more interesting than the Vehicle Bus. Not sure if this is what you were looking for. Note that this is now a 500 kbps CAN bus, whereas the older S/X uses 125 kbps.

Thanks. The higher speed CAN bus on pins 18 & 19 might explain why I could not get any connection using the OBDLink-LX module. It did connect using pins 9 & 10 but as you stated, there isn't much to look at. It sure would be nice if the OBDLink-LX could be made to work with a firmware update but most likely it has a hardware limitation.

I also have the OBDLink-LX and have used it in the past with "Scan My Tesla" app. I haven't gotten around to connecting it up yet to my new 2022 S (I have a number of other scan tools). I couldn't find the specs, but I suspect it can support 500 kbps. It's the app that controls it. I should have it up and running within a week as part of another project I'm working on and will try and report back success/failure.

• Helpful
I also have the OBDLink-LX and have used it in the past with "Scan My Tesla" app. I haven't gotten around to connecting it up yet to my new 2022 S (I have a number of other scan tools). I couldn't find the specs, but I suspect it can support 500 kbps. It's the app that controls it. I should have it up and running within a week as part of another project I'm working on and will try and report back success/failure.
Hi,

What you are disscussing here is right in what im working right now. Can someone tell me what the minimal tool i would need to access the Power Train canbus ? Is it in the blue connector ? Do i need the H-MTD ?

We are working on unlocked my plaid's top speed right now with some knowingly people.

Regards,

Jeremie

Thanks. The higher speed CAN bus on pins 18 & 19 might explain why I could not get any connection using the OBDLink-LX module. It did connect using pins 9 & 10 but as you stated, there isn't much to look at. It sure would be nice if the OBDLink-LX could be made to work with a firmware update but most likely it has a hardware limitation.
I originally tried connecting to pins 18 and 19 without success. The OBDLink-LX just didn't connect to the vehicle however the manufacturer informs me that it will work with a 500 kbps CAN bus, Something more flexible than ScanMyTesla may be needed to figure out what is going on. Else there might be a CAN bus somewhere else.

I originally tried connecting to pins 18 and 19 without success. The OBDLink-LX just didn't connect to the vehicle however the manufacturer informs me that it will work with a 500 kbps CAN bus, Something more flexible than ScanMyTesla may be needed to figure out what is going on. Else there might be a CAN bus somewhere else.
Are you trying the connect your scan my Tesla on the 2022 model S? If yes just swap up two cable on the connector. See attached pictures red to green position.

Attachments

• PXL_20220503_014309903~3.jpg
    PXL_20220503_014309903~3.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 390
Are you trying the connect your scan my Tesla on the 2022 model S? If yes just swap up two cable on the connector. See attached pictures red to green position.

Referencing your photo and the info above, I believe you are describing moving from pins 18 and 19 (next to black) over to pins 9 and 10. This works in the sense that it connects to the vehicle but there are only a few things that ScanMyTesla can interpret. It's missing things like motor torque, and even the front engine power is unintelligible. Battery voltage and current work but not much else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jimbeault

Referencing your photo and the info above, I believe you are describing moving from pins 18 and 19 (next to black) over to pins 9 and 10. This works in the sense that it connects to the vehicle but there are only a few things that ScanMyTesla can interpret. It's missing things like motor torque, and even the front engine power is unintelligible. Batter voltage and current work but not much else.
Yes im aware of this. In fact the only thing that would help us i think is connecting to the H-MTD maybe ? I wish i had the answer to this.

AS well as a complete DBC file for the plaid would be usefull but some people confirmed me that the info might not even be on the buses from the blue connnector.