Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone order the new Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In regards to prioritization, no way that January orders get first delivery unless you’re referring to previously made orders before the redesign was announced that had to “reconfirm” their order (and accept the price increase). There were a fair number of people that had orders in October / November / December that were obviously never filled. Those will definitely have priority, but order date is only one element. Tesla also incorporates delivery lead times and that’s why orders from the Bay Area always have come first. Tesla calculates out how the time for shipment and delivery to maximize deliveries within a financial reporting period. First comes the month, then comes the quarter, and lastly comes the year.
January deliveries, not orders. These are people that decided not to take delivery in January. No idea when they ordered or when they were originally promised a car. Essentially the guy was saying that the people that were closest to the head of the line and did not get their cars are a priority over anyone ordering now.

I’ve said it before elsewhere, but there is no one element that gives folks priorities. Not if Tesla is managing the refresh as they have all other roll outs. Geography, prior Tesla ownership, configuration, date of order, etc are all factors. There’s definitely going to be someone who lives 20 minutes from the factory, ordered in February, and is buying their third Tesla with an expensive config who will receive their X before someone who deferred or who ordered in December but lives in Illinois and is buying their first Tesla. Just an example.

As someone who has tried for almost a decade to find order in this chaos, my advice is don’t try. Just chill and bask in the anticipation.

I’ve said it before elsewhere, but there is no one element that gives folks priorities. Not if Tesla is managing the refresh as they have all other roll outs. Geography, prior Tesla ownership, configuration, date of order, etc are all factors. There’s definitely going to be someone who lives 20 minutes from the factory, ordered in February, and is buying their third Tesla with an expensive config who will receive their X before someone who deferred or who ordered in December but lives in Illinois and is buying their first Tesla. Just an example.

As someone who has tried for almost a decade to find order in this chaos, my advice is don’t try. Just chill and bask in the anticipation.
I am not sure that is the case, but since I live 15 miles from the factory and on 3rd Tesla I hope that is the case. But, when they have new owner sessions at the Delivery Center in Fremont they tell you the opposite on distance. Closest is last because the shipping time is the least. My car traveled a mile to the delivery center we used. and there is another delivery yard at the factory.

I am not sure that is the case, but since I live 15 miles from the factory and on 3rd Tesla I hope that is the case. But, when they have new owner sessions at the Delivery Center in Fremont they tell you the opposite on distance. Closest is last because the shipping time is the least. My car traveled a mile to the delivery center we used. and there is another delivery yard at the factory.
I think both are right, but it depends on the supply issue. With the redesigns, I suspect proximity and customer history are going to give priority because they have such a backlog of orders that they'll want to deliver everything as they build it. Transit times might not matter if they have enough orders that are close to the factory. While we know Tesla manages deliveries across a quarter, they also do it within individual months. So they potentially will just deliver them as fast as possible in the beginning.