Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I do the right thing in placing an order for the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new. I just ordered a Model Y this evening and is still on the fence if I did the right thing. I was waiting for the new standard Y 279 range to come out knowing that it would have less range than this LRMY. I know with the Long Range Model Y, is 330 but it seems people are getting 15% less off the bat. Now my concerns are that with this new standard range has the new batteries and the websites I have been reading are saying it is more efficient where you can charge up to 100% which would come out to the same range on the long performance?? Am I understanding it correctly?
Also, I ordered the Y in blue exterior and changed the seats from black to white as a last minute. I have not seen white in person but I test drove the Model Y with black seats. The showroom does not have any in white seats in stock as they keep selling the test drive cars. My last concern is that I have a Lexus RX350 which is kind of large for me still as I have had it for several months now and is not liking it at all. I purchased it for reliability and low cost to own however an EV is even less to own since maintenance is quite low. The Lexus RX350 feels like a big boat to me driving, and it is a nice ride but it is way big and not really exciting. Do you think I made a good decision moving to the Model Y and getting rid of the Lexus and what about white seats and the new standard Y range that may come out.. Should I have waited for the standard y range?

...Now my concerns are that with this new standard range has the new batteries and the websites I have been reading are saying it is more efficient where you can charge up to 100% which would come out to the same range on the long performance?? Am I understanding it correctly?
No. If you want range, you should not compare the cheapest trim with the most expensive trim "performance". You need to sacrifice the range and pay more for less range and "performance".

Model Y RWD at 100% is 279.

Model Y LR at 100% is 330.

Model Y LR at 90% is 297.

Whether at 100 or 90%, Model Y LR still has more range than Model Y RWD at 100%.

...Do you think I made a good decision moving to the Model Y...
Only you can answer. It depends on what you want.

When I started to buy my first Tesla, it was 2012 and my goal was to get rid of gasoline cars.

...white seats...
Other people can take car of them, you can too.
...new standard Y range that may come out..
It's a rumor, not confirmed
Should I have waited for the standard y range?
That depends on what you want. You can keep waiting forever or like me, I jumped in in 2012 without regrets.

Last edited:
I am new. I just ordered a Model Y this evening and is still on the fence if I did the right thing. I was waiting for the new standard Y 279 range to come out knowing that it would have less range than this LRMY. I know with the Long Range Model Y, is 330 but it seems people are getting 15% less off the bat. Now my concerns are that with this new standard range has the new batteries and the websites I have been reading are saying it is more efficient where you can charge up to 100% which would come out to the same range on the long performance?? Am I understanding it correctly?
Also, I ordered the Y in blue exterior and changed the seats from black to white as a last minute. I have not seen white in person but I test drove the Model Y with black seats. The showroom does not have any in white seats in stock as they keep selling the test drive cars. My last concern is that I have a Lexus RX350 which is kind of large for me still as I have had it for several months now and is not liking it at all. I purchased it for reliability and low cost to own however an EV is even less to own since maintenance is quite low. The Lexus RX350 feels like a big boat to me driving, and it is a nice ride but it is way big and not really exciting. Do you think I made a good decision moving to the Model Y and getting rid of the Lexus and what about white seats and the new standard Y range that may come out.. Should I have waited for the standard y range?
I don’t think anyone can tell you if you made the right decision between your Lexus and MY. If you are looking for an EV, then it’s a great choice.

Look at YouTube video about the white seats. It’s all personal preference, but if you have little kids, I would suggest going with black.

Nobody can tell you if it was the right choice but id make that trade anyway. The thing with range estimates is they come from the EPA and don’t reflect real world driving. 330 miles? Plan for 280 real world and you can get way more driving like a grandma. It’s like when an ICE car is advertised to get 63mpg and u can only get 59, same concept

Nobody can tell you if it was the right choice but id make that trade anyway. The thing with range estimates is they come from the EPA and don’t reflect real world driving. 330 miles? Plan for 280 real world and you can get way more driving like a grandma. It’s like when an ICE car is advertised to get 63mpg and u can only get 59, same concept
Hi buy black interior then fit grey or white leather seat cover, cheaper than paying Tesla $1000.00

I don’t think anyone can tell you if you made the right decision between your Lexus and MY. If you are looking for an EV, then it’s a great choice.

Look at YouTube video about the white seats. It’s all personal preference, but if you have little kids, I would suggest going with black.
I love the look of the White seats and few YouTubers say they are not hard to keep clean. (under normal wear and well, lets not hope tear). That said, I went Black cause I have a dog and it would be more then normal wear and tear. Agreed with your above cause, little kids can be messier then a dog.

Reactions: ebartolome
It depends what you need. I drive about 100miles per day which is high for a typical commute and I have zero issues. I come home and plug in and in a couple hours I'm full again. I've been charging to 70% because I really don't need over 250 miles even if I'm running errands or running around to different buildings at work. I guess if I really had to I could stop at a supercharger but I don't see that happening.

I wouldn't worry about new tech either you'll just drive yourself nuts especially with Tesla since they change things during the current model year. There is always something better right around the corner. There is a new battery right around the corner but hey what if those cars start catching on fire? You never know so I wouldn't worry to much about the next best thing. It may be a good thing buying something that has had a production run for a couple years so all of the kinks are ironed out. Jumping on a first year model with new tech isn't always a good thing.

As for the white seats I do hear that they're easy to clean. But I had a very light beige interior in my wife's X3 and her wearing jeans all of the time would turn them blue. It wasn't to hard to remove but I didn't feel like dealing with it in my M3 so I went with black seats.

Reactions: BGOwner
I have a Blue/White Model Y performance, picked up day after Christmas last year.

LOVE the white interior! Makes the entire car look much brighter, and they're very easy to keep clean. Just keep a package of baby wipes in your car, and once in a while, when they get dirty (they'll pick up the dye from jeans, and turn slightly blue after a few weeks), a quick wipe down and they look good as new!

I also love the blue color (there are numerous shades of blue, and I happen to really like the shade Tesla choose), but that's a matter of preference.

My advice... spend a couple hundred bucks, and rent a Model Y from Turo. I've found that you don't really know how you'll like a car from a 20 minute test drive, but if you rent the car from Turo, and live with it for a couple of days, you still won't know how dependable it'll be, but you'll find certain things you love, and perhaps some things that really bug you.

I love the Model Y. Is it perfect?

No. There's no mood lighting, and very minimal interior lights for nighttime driving... only soft lighting in the wheel wells. Come on, Tesla! For this price, give us some friggin interior, nice night lighting!

Door handles aren't illuminated. At night, with a dark colored car and blacked out door handles, it's sometimes very hard to find 'em and open the door!

Heads up display would've been nice!

There are things I love, also:
Stereo is fantastic (in my opinion)
Easy access... love how you just walk up to the car, car unlocks and retracts the seats and steering wheel so I can get my fat ass easily into the car, then, when I press the brake, seats and steering wheel move into driving position.

No Start/Stop button, get home? Step out of the car, close the door, and the windows roll up, doors lock, and after a delay, headlights turn off.

Anyway... good luck!