Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did my windshield tint lead to this crack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is 45 away and Safelite is 7 minutes away. I asked the mechanic in the Tesla app if there were any issues using Safelite. They said "No, a lot of customers use Safelite."

Tesla won't give me a loaner, so I'm looking at $100 for Ubers through Denver rush hour both ways.

Hate to make the decision on that, but location.

Tesla is 45 away and Safelite is 7 minutes away. I asked the mechanic in the Tesla app if there were any issues using Safelite. They said "No, a lot of customers use Safelite."

Tesla won't give me a loaner, so I'm looking at $100 for Ubers through Denver rush hour both ways.

Hate to make the decision on that, but location.
If I had an old car from the 1980's with no tech on it, then sure have a cheaper third party company replace the windshield.

But with any kind of tech like cameras, anti-collision systems, windshield wiper sensors, heads-up displays, etc. I'd only go with OE provider.

I have replaced my windshield on my model 3, and There isnt anything special about teslas camera calibration here (unlike many other cars). I had my windshield done at Tesla itself. At the time I had insurance with a 0 glass deductible, and when I called to execute on it to get my windshield, the insurance company was particularly adamant about making sure I found out about calibration so they could cover it if needed to be covered.

I asked Tesla, directly, a couple different times if there was any charge for calibration, or anything specific I needed to do, and they repeatedly told me:

"The car will calibrate the cameras after we replace the windshield on its own, by driving it. We used to drive the car around to calibrate it for customers but they got upset about the extra miles so we dont do that anymore".

So, there was no charge for calibration, just the windshield and labor, and the car did, in fact calibrate it properly. I remember reading threads here where safelite was "forcing" customers to pay for camera calibration for Teslas, even when specifically told Tesla model 3s and Ys didnt need it.

I cant find the thread right now, but I remember telling myself "I guess no safelight".

Just passing on my own personal experience with this.

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
I had a crack a day or two after I heard (but didn't see) a rock hitting my windshield as well. Windshield was tinted by the previous owner and I hated the tint, so I'm kinda happy I got it replaced. I went through Tesla for the repair and they messed up my interior a-pillar trim but replaced it after I pointed it out.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash