Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you seriously need to define what you mean by 'integrated'. It sounds to me as if you mean 'casework' -- as in cabinetry. And that is a very nice open air Victorian Era carriage design. Problem is? You notion of tacking a 'super modern' display on top of it gives you an AUDI, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz interior. Or at least, the interiors for their convertible designs anyway. Since there is not likely to be a convertible version of the Model ☰ for some time, you would do better to compare to the enclosed Sedan versions of those cars, and the fully enclosed, gilded, encrusted, quilted, laced, frilled, tasseled, emblazoned stagecoaches and carriages of yesteryear as well. Here, I'll help...
catherine_the_greats_coach.jpg

8f4f4582576f6992d2e8daa761ac7378.jpg

0_8d9ae_4238aa87_XL.jpg

stal14.PNG

kultavaunut.jpg
Has The Crown made a weirdmobile?

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
The thing is, that CLAR platform is what they will use for their next generation of all cars and is already rolling out. CLAR uses their carbon fiber to some extent. For their all electrics, BMW will use a similar platform called FSAR which accommodates the battery in the floorboard a la Tesla.

So BMW will be producing high volume carbon fiber chassis in every car model at key points in the frame. Yes, the question is how much will they be using and how much will it cost them. But it's rolling out now in high volume.

These platforms seem to have carbon fiber pieces. My understanding is that the i3 frame is carbon fiber with some steel reinforcement.

The highly significant piece of news is an actual electric 3 series. If this news is true, it is a change of perspective for BMW. The i brand and the leipzig factory is all designed to appeal to BMW's idea of the the green buyer. Create a green sub-brand for the weirdos. Presumably the primary 3/5/7 etc series cars was intended to continue as business as usual where real men buy real cars that burn gas. But if the are moving full electric into the 3 series the company is shifting.

To me this suggest a lot of concern by senior decision makers at BMW.

These platforms seem to have carbon fiber pieces. My understanding is that the i3 frame is carbon fiber with some steel reinforcement.

The highly significant piece of news is an actual electric 3 series. If this news is true, it is a change of perspective for BMW. The i brand and the leipzig factory is all designed to appeal to BMW's idea of the the green buyer. Create a green sub-brand for the weirdos. Presumably the primary 3/5/7 etc series cars was intended to continue as business as usual where real men buy real cars that burn gas. But if the are moving full electric into the 3 series the company is shifting.
I think the intent to do this was expressed last year:
BMW All-Electric 2018 3-Series Gunning For Tesla's Model 3

The news is that there will be a progress update related to the 3-series. They may have accelerated the expected production date.

To me this suggest a lot of concern by senior decision makers at BMW.
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ief-urges-management-to-accelerate-ev-rollout
BMW Management Skipping Paris Motor Show To Discuss Electric Cars

I think you seriously need to define what you mean by 'integrated'. It sounds to me as if you mean 'casework' -- as in cabinetry. And that is a very nice open air Victorian Era carriage design. Problem is? You notion of tacking a 'super modern' display on top of it gives you an AUDI, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz interior. Or at least, the interiors for their convertible designs anyway. Since there is not likely to be a convertible version of the Model ☰ for some time, you would do better to compare to the enclosed Sedan versions of those cars, and the fully enclosed, gilded, encrusted, quilted, laced, frilled, tasseled, emblazoned stagecoaches and carriages of yesteryear as well. Here, I'll help...
catherine_the_greats_coach.jpg

8f4f4582576f6992d2e8daa761ac7378.jpg

0_8d9ae_4238aa87_XL.jpg

stal14.PNG

kultavaunut.jpg

The guy in the last picture is wondering where his Tablet is...

"Why din't they glue it in front of me, well, at least it's airy up here!"

What I wonder is why I would need good visibility in an autonomous car... I'd rather have it looking good. And if it's meant to be fun to drive, let me have more information than the guy on the back hump.

What I wonder is why I would need good visibility in an autonomous car... I'd rather have it looking good. And if it's meant to be fun to drive, let me have more information than the guy on the back hump.
Probably for the same reason that buses, trains, ships, planes, and spaceships have windows. It's kind of nice to see stuff other than the inside of your own eyelids when someone else is doing the driving. Counting blue cars... Counting brown cows... Watching sunsets or sunrises... Rivers, streams, waterfalls, rainbows, clouds shaped like Uncle John's nose... Bigfoot or alien spacecraft sightings... All of these things can be done. Oh, and the car still has a steering wheel and pedals, so those times when you decide to have 'The Manual Experience' it sort of helps to be able to see where you are going and stuff too. And while so engaged, all the information you need will be right in front of you, unless you have tunnel vision or a fused neck. Amazing that people have no problem looking up to 60 degrees to see a rearview mirror on the opposite side of a car, but believe they would somehow 'lose control' by focusing their sight on a display barely 8 degrees to one side. Oh, and it just so happens that the Tesla Model ☰ does 'look good' -- inside and out.

Amazing that people have no problem looking up to 60 degrees to see a rearview mirror on the opposite side of a car, but believe they would somehow 'lose control' by focusing their sight on a display barely 8 degrees to one side. Oh, and it just so happens that the Tesla Model ☰ does 'look good' -- inside and out.

That is a good point, I usually look in the rear view mirror on the other side of the car for no reason at all. I think it's just comforting to know whats behind me on the right.

And I never said it doesn't look good on the outside, it looks very good on the outside. Most of the inside also looks very good, I like the "slap of wood", I like the seats, the doors, the center console. I just don't like the screen. And I am enough of an adult to know that you can like something, while still seeing it's flaws.

That herd mentality is still kind of weird to me, where everything Tesla does must be good, because Tesla.

Reactions: sitter_k
That is a good point, I usually look in the rear view mirror on the other side of the car for no reason at all. I think it's just comforting to know whats behind me on the right.

And I never said it doesn't look good on the outside, it looks very good on the outside. Most of the inside also looks very good, I like the "slap of wood", I like the seats, the doors, the center console. I just don't like the screen. And I am enough of an adult to know that you can like something, while still seeing it's flaws.

That herd mentality is still kind of weird to me, where everything Tesla does must be good, because Tesla.
That is not a herd mentality and there's hardly a herd here. You could call some a cult following. Then you could call out several other groups: the nit pickers, who always have to find something wrong; the trolls, who find everything wrong; the righteous, who love the product but hate the company; and the...

Your post was going so great until the last bit. Why oh why do so many of us on this forum have to end posts by generalizing and name calling a group of members? I'm OK that you like the car but dislike the display. You should be OK that another member likes the display.

That is not a herd mentality and there's hardly a herd here. You could call some a cult following. Then you could call out several other groups: the nit pickers, who always have to find something wrong; the trolls, who find everything wrong; the righteous, who love the product but hate the company; and the...

Your post was going so great until the last bit. Why oh why do so many of us on this forum have to end posts by generalizing and name calling a group of members? I'm OK that you like the car but dislike the display. You should be OK that another member likes the display.

I am totally ok with someone liking the display, I just don't like it. But I like the car and that should be a valid opinion too, right?

Maybe I misspoke when I meant "herd mentality", but I think cult just sounds too harsh and has been used too often by the anti-Tesla crowd. But it would describe the situation best. Why can't I just dislike a small part, without being accused of hating the whole car, brand and mother nature?

• Funny
Reactions: Matias and NerdUno
I am totally ok with someone liking the display, I just don't like it. But I like the car and that should be a valid opinion too, right?

Maybe I misspoke when I meant "herd mentality", but I think cult just sounds too harsh and has been used too often by the anti-Tesla crowd. But it would describe the situation best. Why can't I just dislike a small part, without being accused of hating the whole car, brand and mother nature?
Sorry if there was a post that accused you of hating the whole car, brand, and Mother Nature, I missed it. If there was, I can understand your reaction. I just hate labeling.

Man... I have never been a part of a 'herd'. Your post was actually pretty good, right up to that point. It is the AUDI, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche 'herd mentality' that seems to have the biggest grip on a lot of people. Well, Tesla choose to take its own stride along a different path. I just happen to prefer that path. Perhaps, at some point, when voice recognition is able to decipher what people are saying in any language or any dialect even when they are speaking with a mouthful of smores, the screen will go away too. Hopefully you'd be happy with that -- along with the rest of your herd.