Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
People have different taste, but my opionion is, Model 3 dash is ugly.

Edit: FML typo in the title :eek:

Mod edit: fixed it for ya :)

M3.jpg
BMW3.jpg

To me, the ONLY complaint regarding the Model 3 dash is the screen mount method that makes it look like an after-market accessory. Other than that, the minimal nature is actually cool and very next-generation.

BTW, cant say I like the BMW interior. Many things going on there, too many curves and edges that serve no meaningful purpose - a bit like the BMW exterior. And if you extrapolate the BMW interior your end up with this type of a mess.

800x-1.jpg

To me, the ONLY complaint regarding the Model 3 dash is the screen mount method that makes it look like an after-market accessory. Other than that, the minimal nature is actually cool and very next-generation.

BTW, cant say I like the BMW interior. Many things going on there, too many curves and edges that serve no meaningful purpose - a bit like the BMW exterior. And if you extrapolate the BMW interior your end up with this type of a mess.

The current vehicle dashes/consoles have been a case of form following function. ICE cars are complex animalsand have historically needed a pile of gages and whatnot. Historically, we've been conditioned to the mindset that better cars have more gages/buttons/controls/whatever.

Now, there's no reason for a car dash to be any more or less than a computer. It's the Apple design ethic; simple, clean, minimalist. Don't add any complexity that you don't need. Look at your iphone or a current iMac , compared the phones/computers of 15 years ago. Or an iWatch vs a Rolex.

I think it might be a more difficult sell to the 35+ group, that is conditioned with the "complexity = luxury" mindset. But the younger group has grown up with the iMac "luxury = simple and clean" ethic. They might really buy into what Tesla is doing. And I wonder if Tesla is on the leading edge of a wave.

Last edited:
The more shots I see of the interior, the more econo-box boring it becomes. Yawn. Controlling all functions through the touch screen is going to get old.

I control all functions on my S through the touch screen. So far it hasn't gotten old. Of course, I am less than a year into it. Sure, I still play pilot and scan the road ahead, and all the mirrors, and the speedo, etc., but all the controls are still on the touch screen (except, of course, the obvious stalks and thumbwheels). I don't think I would miss the dash display in front of me. I 'll wager you won't be bored.:)

The current vehicle dashes/consoles have been a case of form following function. ICE cars are complex animals, that have historically needed a pile of gages and whatnot. And, also historically, we've been conditioned with the mindset that better cars have more gages/buttons/controls/whatever.

Now, there's no reason for a car dash to be any more or less than a computer. It's the Apple design ethic; simple, clean, minimalist. Don't add any complexity that you don't need. Look at your iphone or a current iMac , compared the phones/computers of 15 years ago. Or an iWatch vs a Rolex.

I think it might be a more difficult sell to the 35+ group, that is conditioned with the "complexity = luxury" mindset. But the younger group has grown up with the iMac "luxury = simple and clean" ethic. They might really buy into what Tesla is doing. And I wonder if Tesla is on the leading edge of a wave.

You see the same thing in new aircraft. The first image is the console of the new Cirrus baby jet. And the second is what you had in a baby Cessna jet in 2000. Sophistication = simplicity. And I know which of these two I'd dream to own. :)

upload_2017-5-29_8-24-55.png

img.axd

Last edited:
I control all functions on my S through the touch screen. So far it hasn't gotten old. Of course, I am less than a year into it. Sure, I still play pilot and scan the road ahead, and all the mirrors, and the speedo, etc., but all the controls are still on the touch screen (except, of course, the obvious stalks and thumbwheels). I don't think I would miss the dash display in front of me. I 'll wager you won't be bored.:)
Ditto....if the Model 3 bores anyone....then I await a LOT of boredom.

That's more buttons than the car has features. Especially the 4 cup holders....that seems a bit ridiculous.

And that's the point. The old design ethic, and old technology demanded a LOT of complexity. And so we desired it. The newer tech permits simplicity - which might be a bit jarring to those of us who grew up under the old paradigm.

Reactions: T-Will
My golf cart has a better dash than the Model 3. Here's the BMW X1 dash which is a similarly priced car.

BMW_X-series_X1_lightbox_04.jpg
So instead of controlling everything from a single screen, your eyes and hands can dance happily all over the center console and the dash searching for just the right button. The MS seemed pretty minimalist when I was first looking. Now, I never want to go back and see a mess like this. But, everyone's boat is floated by something different. Maybe your golf cart dash is more complicated; but is it better than the Model 3. Really?:confused:

Reactions: cdub and sandpiper