Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that's why the sideways screen with no dashboard display was a bad idea to start with.

That's subjective. If you get a better, bigger display by making it floating and put it closer to the driver, functionally it is a much better idea. The complaint seems to be people don't like the look, which means "I don't like things I don't recognize" in this case. Similar complaints getting rid of all the gauges. Many many people said the same thing when buttons were eliminated from the iPhone.

If you want the same thing you've gotten, but in an electric vehicle, you'll have plenty of options over the next few years. Might want to hold off and wait for that.

Reactions: Runt8 and Red Sage
Nothing to do with "the look." It's functionally deficient AND dangerous! Who wants to be riding down the highway beside a bunch of people trying to read and manipulate a touchscreen in the middle of their car? Have you not seen how quickly a driver distracted by looking at their smartphone ends up wrapped around a tree? A bigger display doesn't solve the distraction. Reaching for a knob to adjust the radio or air conditioning is one thing. Flipping through display screens to find and manipulate a setting for your car is quite another.

I don't see what the problem is. Floating screen sucks. There are a lot of people that like things that suck, no explanation necessary.

The problem is that I don't like the placement of the screen, so I probably burn puppies with crude oil in my back yard, while reminiscing about the good old days when all my tools were made of stone.

Nothing to do with "the look." It's functionally deficient AND dangerous! Who wants to be riding down the highway beside a bunch of people trying to read and manipulate a touchscreen in the middle of their car? Have you not seen how quickly a driver distracted by looking at their smartphone ends up wrapped around a tree? A bigger display doesn't solve the distraction. Reaching for a knob to adjust the radio or air conditioning is one thing. Flipping through display screens to find and manipulate a setting for your car is quite another.

You mean like almost every other new car out there? Part of the reason there are so many screens to navigate is because they do everything from a small screen.

Having a much larger central screen allows you to put the most commonly used things (air conditioning, radio, etc.) all on the main screen so you aren't flipping through menus to get to the adjustment you want.

Cars have had touch screen navigation systems in them for 20 years now with the problems you listed. I'm not saying it's not a safety issue, but it's amazing how many people in these forums never take their eyes off the road for a second unless the evil car forces them to by putting air condition controls on a touch screen or move the speedometer to the middle (my personal favorite).

I can't drive 5 miles down the road without seeing someone trying to type out a text message so having to glance down to hit a button for the air conditioner seems minor. Incidentally, I do this for my current car since apparently I'm the only one on these forums who hasn't memorized where every single button on the car is.

As with most things, a decision is made first (I don't like the touch screen or I like Tesla cars) and a rationalization is figured out after the fact (it's dangerous or they are good for the environment).

For me, I'm going from a 10 year old Pontiac Vibe with those super safe buttons and switches. The other safety upgrades more than make up for the fact I might have to glance down at a touch screen for a second or two.

The problem is that I don't like the placement of the screen, so I probably burn puppies with crude oil in my back yard, while reminiscing about the good old days when all my tools were made of stone.

Other aftermarket options are available ... :cool:
upload_2017-7-9_12-1-5.png
upload_2017-7-9_12-1-42.png

upload_2017-7-9_12-2-42.png

• Funny
Reactions: R.S and JeffK
That's probably the best BMW interior I've seen so far. (In my opinion)

IMO form should always follow function, while reducing complexity. So in a sense eradicating most buttons and knobs is useful, but I am not so sure about all of them. But actually I don't really mind.

What I dislike is the "floating" screen. I have been making fun about the "glued on" screens of other manufacturers and I surely won't reverse my position on them, just because Tesla does in now, too. View attachment 232807

It just doesn't look well integrated, like an afterthought.

Personally I feel that Mercedes interior is sweet. In person it looks slick and a good balance between minimal yet functional.

As for best bmw interior I like the no screen look personally. This inrterior is nearly 20 years old....,and in my opinion does not look dated.

bmw m coupe interior - Google Search:

Actually I find the small infotainment display screens operated with a physical knob to be more far more distracting. I have used recent versions of the Mercedes COMAND system in the S-Class (older version) and the SL-Class (2017 model). Because the screen is relatively tiny, the menu options are not shown all at once (they show around 3 at once) and the menu structure doesn't persist (so you can't see what submenu you dug into). And when you need to enter a destination into the nav, you need to use the dial to select the letters, which is quite frustrating and slow to use (the SL doesn't have the touchpad which are in some other cars; maybe that might help a bit). I personally use a third party gps unit in my own car and it is far less distracting with a touch screen (typing is much easier and so is selecting menu options; just tap what I want rather than having to rotate through all the options).

I imagine a larger touchscreen would make things a ton easier. Also keep in mind that on the steering wheel there are two scroll balls (which look to be the quad-directional type) for making adjustments, similar to how it is done on Model S steering wheel buttons/scroll wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
I think the bigger mistake made here by Tesla is that it has reduced its possible market.

It's a Marmite interior, you either like it or you don't, it could have been a none issue if they had made it more like the Model S/normal cars.
Then the customer base would have been everybody! Goes against the accelerating sustainable transport ethos some what. People have to like the car to switch, now we'll have a portion of ICE cars persist.

Tesla doesn't care though as it can sell as many as it can make for a while.

I like the exterior look of the car, but I'm still working on the interior, will have to wait for the test drive, which in the UK is probably 6-12 months away. It may be mitigated by the user being able to affect the layout rather some coder in an office, we don't know what the S/W features are yet so fingers crossed.

• Disagree
Hoping we will get to see official pics of interior on the 28th. The only gripe I have is with floating screen, everything else about the interior is great and I don't think there is a comparison out there. I've test driven the S and TBH even though the interior is good, it is still old school trying to be different with a big screen. So basically by the time I get my car, if any screen glare and vibration/resonance is taken care of, I will be super happy. Everything else is perfect IMO.

You would have thought that Tesla would have moved on from this old tech LCD panel stuff, its been around for a while.
The modern approach would have been to make the whole dash an OLED screen, probably blending into the windscreen :)

Reactions: R.S
You would have thought that Tesla would have moved on from this old tech LCD panel stuff, its been around for a while.
The modern approach would have been to make the whole dash an OLED screen, probably blending into the windscreen :)
Current OLED tech has three issues which are relevant to automotive applications: cost, burn in, and the colors get washed out in high brightness. Cost and burn in are probably the most important.

I have never had any problem controlling my Model S using the touchscreen. There is nothing inherently different between reaching for a knob and a touchscreen. People don't feel around for a knob while keeping their eyes on the road, the eyes naturally look down when you reach for a control. You never need to "flip through display screens" to do the things you need to do while driving the car. After 5 years of having touchscreen controls on the Model S with people quite happy about, they are not about to get rid of it on the Model 3.

As a Bass player I get calluses on my finger tips, like a lot of people who do manual work, and have problems with touch screens, I have to lick my fingers or try various fingers to get the response I want.

Frustrating at 70mph :)

jeffk, I'm sure these are only minor issues that Elon can work out, he builds electric cars and spaceships for living!

As a Bass player I get calluses on my finger tips, like a lot of people who do manual work, and have problems with touch screens, I have to lick my fingers or try various fingers to get the response I want.
Frustrating at 70mph :)
jeffk, I'm sure these are only minor issues that Elon can work out, he builds electric cars and spaceships for living!
This is actually a trivial problem depending on the technology used. For example, you should have zero trouble using a modern Samsung galaxy phone and if you do the settings are incorrect on it. It can even work through non-capacitive gloves.

I have never had any problem controlling my Model S using the touchscreen. There is nothing inherently different between reaching for a knob and a touchscreen. People don't feel around for a knob while keeping their eyes on the road, the eyes naturally look down when you reach for a control. You never need to "flip through display screens" to do the things you need to do while driving the car. After 5 years of having touchscreen controls on the Model S with people quite happy about, they are not about to get rid of it on the Model 3.
There is a huge inherent difference between a knob and a touch screen. My Bolt has two knobs, one for volume, small, and one for A/C température, large. I can operate either without taking my eyes off the road by simply feeling the size of the knob. Most modern cars, like the
Bolt,
support Android Auto or Apple Car Play which allow text to speech reading of incoming text messages and dictation of outgoing messages allowing safe texting while driving.

Reactions: ikjadoon and N5329K
I think the bigger mistake made here by Tesla is that it has reduced its possible market.

It's a Marmite interior, you either like it or you don't, it could have been a none issue if they had made it more like the Model S/normal cars.

I think you may be conflating "interior" and "dash," and possibly over-estimating the amount of people that would consider the dash a deal breaker.

We'll soon find out.

There is a huge inherent difference between a knob and a touch screen. My Bolt has two knobs, one for volume, small, and one for A/C température, large. I can operate either without taking my eyes off the road by simply feeling the size of the knob. Most modern cars, like the
Bolt,
support Android Auto or Apple Car Play which allow text to speech reading of incoming text messages and dictation of outgoing messages allowing safe texting while driving.

I think I'd prefer to be able to adjust climate control with my voice...which seems like an over-the-air software update away for a Tesla...

I think I'd prefer to be able to adjust climate control with my voice...which seems like an over-the-air software update away for a Tesla...

Good luck with that working anytime soon, probably right after the automatic wipers work.

On another note, The Teslarati article about the Navdy HUD says that unless one uses the Navdy HUD the Model 3 will be unsafe to drive!
http://www.teslarati.com/sponsored/?prx_t=qeICAvQkRA1xYQA